Loading Disney Hotel Room Key with funds

Another thing I noticed was that any purchases under $50 (I think it was that amount!) wasn't signed for when the card was swiped. Anything over requires the signature of the card holder.

Now that would really concern me. If someone picked up your room key and went swiping away, how would you prove you hadn't authorised those transactions with no signature? I just checked my old KTTW cards and they all say Not Valid For Charging. I assume then that the validated ones mention on the face of the card that they are? That would make it immediately obvious to any less than honest person that privileges were available. Actually I think it does state the charging rights on the card. I just remembered I found one last year and handed it in and noticed that it said it had the charging privs on it. I don't like that - personally.

If Disney chooses not to obtain signature validation under a certain amount, then they're taking the risk, not the guest (i.e. in the event of fraudulent use, they'd have to suffer the loss). However, I agree that the charging status being made apparent on the room key is tantamount to an open cheque.

If Disney chooses not to obtain signature validation under a certain amount, then they're taking the risk, not the guest (i.e. in the event of fraudulent use, they'd have to suffer the loss).

I still think it is not worth the loss of time and the hassle though. (I didn't know they assumed responsibility for that - first I heard of the siggie story). Nonetheless, I can imagine the guest would have to complete forms, maybe sign a declaration or something. Sometimes "loss" is not monetary -time is valuable too! ;)

However, although that is my personal point of view, there can't have been many problems with it if people still continue to take up the offer to add charging so I guess it depends what you are comfortable with. As you can see, I am not really a risk taker.

I still think it is not worth the loss of time and the hassle though. (I didn't know they assumed responsibility for that - first I heard of the siggie story). Nonetheless, I can imagine the guest would have to complete forms, maybe sign a declaration or something. Sometimes "loss" is not monetary -time is valuable too! ;)

However, although that is my personal point of view, there can't have been many problems with it if people still continue to take up the offer to add charging so I guess it depends what you are comfortable with. As you can see, I am not really a risk taker.

Same if you pay by credit card, you only sign over $50, very rarely do they ask for ID so hassle again if you lose a credit card.

As you can see, I am not really a risk taker.
Do you not use a credit card, then? As Wayne points out, it's no different to dropping your CC. Disney don't require signatures for purchases under $50 and very rarely ask for photo ID. At least if you drop your room key and it gets used fraudulently the charges likely won't have been charged to your card yet, so you haven't suffered any loss if Disney are happy to waive the charges pending an investigation. If you drop your CC and someone starts using it then that's eating into your personal finances straight away.

We always use the room key for charging. It's convenient having one card for room access, park entry and charging. I also like having a more detailed itemised bill of our spends at the end of the stay, and my children enjoy being able to pay for items on their own, too.

Do you not use a credit card, then?

I always take a couple of credit cards, but never use them. They are just there for emergency so I keep them locked in the safe in the room and usually use travellers cheques. That would explain my ignorance on the subject :lmao:, but I do see the point now.My logic was that the room key card is in and out of your bag so much more often: unlock the room, park entry, EMH ..... I just figured it has more chance of getting lost/dropped as it is used so often every day. But then I suppose you would miss it quite quickly if it was gone too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter