Live Updates from Guests on Property - Hurricane Ian

Maleficent53

Have fun storming the castle...
My family was able to move our flight departure up a day and flew out yesterday, but we would have been forced to hunker down at All Stars Music if that had not been possible as our original flight was cancelled and airport closed. I am watching the live updates on TV and curious if anyone who is riding it out at a WDW hotel will post updates what is happening there, wind and power issues or flooding issues.

Stay safe everyone!

There’s a relevant thread on the resorts section of the forum. Hopefully someone who’s more tech-savvy than me will come along and post a link. At the moment it’s just raining a lot.

Concur. Just rain. Some wind. Not a day that would have been enjoyable to be in the parks but you could have been there if you really wanted to be. Understand why they had to close today for prep. If not for that they could have been open. Technically. At least most of the day. Shall see what tonight brings

I’m in the Coronado tower. The lobby was an absolute nightmare this morning, like I had never seen before. Checkin line was about 2 hours. Lots of guests with luggage tagged as “transfer”. I suppose they were bringing guests in from the resorts that closed. Luckily, we checked in early and only waited an hour.

They served normal breakfast, but started the meal kits around 11am. The line to pay for food was about 30 minutes.

It’s just raining at the moment, but housekeeping has been knocking on doors handing out flashlights and towels. There is a ton of noise on the floors. People are just bored, with kids, so this is understandable. I’m just glad I have working air conditioning.

I became a local not long ago and chose to ride out the storm here. I work remotely and need power to get paid. Overall, I feel very safe and welcome here.

View from our room on the 9th floor..

F44DF3D8-680E-4156-AA9F-117C6E3750E6.jpeg

Last edited:
It is very drastic differences between how universal resorts are handling things and how Disney does
I’ve done storms at both
universal resorts operating restaurants normal except for pool bar is closed. obviously. at least here at Royal. Normal operating hours, normal menus and everything. A bit busy naturally with everyone here but hot food is at least better than box meals. wait’s still aren’t that bad. The bigger one even opened early for dinner.

one thing missing is activities and characters. assume that’s due to their not being universal owned

It is very drastic differences between how universal resorts are handling things and how Disney does
I’ve done storms at both
universal resorts operating restaurants normal except for pool bar is closed. obviously. at least here at Royal. Normal operating hours, normal menus and everything. A bit busy naturally with everyone here but hot food is at least better than box meals. wait’s still aren’t that bad. The bigger one even opened early for dinner.

one thing missing is activities and characters. assume that’s due to their not being universal owned
At the Beach Club there’s plenty of hot food. Cape May is open to everyone and the Marketplace is serving a full menu. No one has to depend on box meals and yes, plenty of fun things for the kids to do. I don’t think they could’ve handled it better.

At the Beach Club there’s plenty of hot food. Cape May is open to everyone and the Marketplace is serving a full menu. No one has to depend on box meals and yes, plenty of fun things for the kids to do. I don’t think they could’ve handled it better.
Good. seems that is not the case in all resorts. You’re at a lucky one

We checked out of BC Tuesday and transferred to AKL Jambo for our split stay. I concur with you that Disney could not have handled this any better. At least as far as I have experienced. Boma open, Mara open, tons of staff. Victoria Falls packed with people and bartenders rushing around. Sanna was open (we walked over before 11 am yesterday when just rain and some wind) and their lobby was crowded but they had characters and activities going.

Here at Jambo Lobby activities with characters most of day into the evening. Yes check in line in the early am was very busy and there were/are people everywhere but it is a hurricane and a hotel full of people.

This am there are some big trees down on the main savanna (Arusha and our savanna Uzima).

Praying for Florida and the people here. It is quite a storm.

Good. seems that is not the case in all resorts. You’re at a lucky one
Deluxe resorts always fare better because of the interior rooms. I wouldn’t be able to handle being confined to our room the entire time. From everything I’ve seen reported all the deluxes kept their restaurants and qs locations open. I’ve seen several of the moderates did as well. There’s just not much Disney can do when it gets to the point of being unsafe to go out.

We have a bingo activity at SAB this afternoon and lifeguards are roaming around the pool area so it may very well open at some point today. Fingers crossed!

Deluxe resorts always fare better because of the interior rooms. I wouldn’t be able to handle being confined to our room the entire time. From everything I’ve seen reported all the deluxes kept their restaurants and qs locations open. I’ve seen several of the moderates did as well. There’s just not much Disney can do when it gets to the point of being unsafe to go out.
The mods are the ones I’ve seen awful reports about. Huge lines extending outside the resorts and down sidewalks. Nuts

We have a bingo activity at SAB this afternoon and lifeguards are roaming around the pool area so it may very well open at some point today. Fingers crossed!
Was looking down at the pool here at Royal. Doubt it will open over this way. It’s full of debris. About half the bottom is covered in green (from leaves). Some floating on top too. They pulled all chairs off the pool decks here too. Closed the pools on Monday early just to prep for everything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter