Live TR from AKV-Kidani (12/4-12/11)

WolfpackFan

Retired and loving every minute of it!!
Sorry I haven't posted anything yet, like I usually do. Just too busy having fun. Checked into AKV-Kidani yesterday. No problems with room (Savannah studio). Lots of animals to see. In fact, looking out our window I can see four zebras right now. We spent our first night (Tuesday) at Art of Animation. Lots of fun, but it was nice to check into our "real" home. Big crowds over at MK today for the opening of the New Fantasyland. We went to MK and Epcot yesterday and AK this morning. Going back to Epcot this afternoon for our CP dinner package at Garden Grill. We bought the DVC Premium AP passes this trip with plans to use them a second time next October. Overall this is just a nice relaxing trip. That is the great thing about DVC (and also having AP's), if you don't do something this trip, you will be back. I am going to try to upload some pictures to Google Picasa and will post the link when done. If you have any questions, let me know.

I love Kidani!! We stayed there in June, and were one room off the elevator, and overlooking the the covered entryway where the buses and cars pull up all day and night!! I thought this would be a bad room, but we couldn't hear anything from the elevators or vehicles. As a bonus, being so close to the elevator, we were right next to the savannah overlook. So even though we had a standard view, it really worked out.

Have a terrific vacation!! If you get a chance, let us know about the new Fantasyland.

Oh I am hoping to get reservations for there in August! Thanks for the TR.

I am trying to talk DH into letting us spend the first night at the Art of Animation also. He doesn't seem to want to do that (he would prefer our trip be a little shorter.....I can only book 4 nights in a 2 bedroom at AKV).

Did your family enjoy the one night at AoA? We will have 5 or 6 with us (not sure yet, we are a family of 4 but told our DDs they could each bring a friend).

Oh and we don't have enough points for a SV, so are there viewing areas at Kidani you can go to and still see the animals?
Thanks!

Friday morning update -

We had a great CP dinner last night at Garden Grill. Place was not crowded and had lots of time with the animals. The CP itself was as great as ever. If it doesn't get you into the Christmas mood nothing will. Also toured the Boardwalk resorts and looked at their Christmas decorations. I just love the gingerbread carousel at Beach Club. They were having some kind of ESPN event at Boardwalk and the place was packed last night. Not sure what was going on.

Plan for today is to head to MK shortly and we have lunch ADR's at Tony's Town Square. Then this afternoon we're doing the "Behind The Seeds" tour at The Land.

Someone asked how we liked Art of Animation. It was really neat and is now my favorite value resort. Very similar in layout to Pop Century but really neat theming.

Tuesday's Pictures
Wednesday's Pictures

Friday morning update -

We had a great CP dinner last night at Garden Grill. Place was not crowded and had lots of time with the animals. The CP itself was as great as ever. If it doesn't get you into the Christmas mood nothing will. Also toured the Boardwalk resorts and looked at their Christmas decorations. I just love the gingerbread carousel at Beach Club. They were having some kind of ESPN event at Boardwalk and the place was packed last night. Not sure what was going on.

Plan for today is to head to MK shortly and we have lunch ADR's at Tony's Town Square. Then this afternoon we're doing the "Behind The Seeds" tour at The Land.

Someone asked how we liked Art of Animation. It was really neat and is now my favorite value resort. Very similar in layout to Pop Century but really neat theming.

Tuesday's Pictures
Wednesday's Pictures

there was an NFL game last night so ESPN Zone was probably packed with people watching.

there was an NFL game last night so ESPN Zone was probably packed with people watching.

No this was something else. Some kind of awards ceremony at that club where they have the DVC mixers sometimes. They even had a red carpet. Very heavy security and all kinds of folks walking around in suits and fancy clothes.

I am still debating which I like most - Jambo or Kidani. We are staying at Kidani this trip. One thing I like about Jambo is the larger lobby area. I like to get up early and go to the lobby and drink my coffee while I get caught up on the world on my iPhone. Well the Kidani lobby area is mighty small and even during the early hours there seems to be a lot of people there. I also like having easy access to Mara at Jambo. But I also like the parking better at Kidani plus I like the fact that it is all "ours", if you know what I mean. The pools are a tossup to me as we don't do much pool time.

Please keep posting, we are staying at Kidani in January for two nights. It will be our first stay at AKV.

Saturday morning update -

Good morning from Kidani.

Well today is hump day and we're going to just take it easy today. Kind of let our feet rest. Yesterday we went to MK in the morning. Had lunch at Tony's Town Square. First time we've eaten there, but we really liked it. I had the flatbread which was delicious and DW had spaghetti, which was very good also. After lunch we took the monorail over to Epcot and did the "Behind The Seeds" tour. DW is very active in our Church's community garden and this is the third time we've done the tour. It is really a great little hidden secret. With DVC discount, it only cost $15 and you get to go behind the scenes at the Land greenhouses. Fascinating how they grow the plants hydroponically. I highly recommend this tour to anyone who enjoys gardening.

After the tour, we came back to Kidani and rested a while before heading over to DHS for Osborne Lights. The lights were as great as usual. We then made our big mistake. There was a huge crowd leaving DHS and the line for the boat to Epcot was very long, so we opted to start walking. And we walked and walked and walked. By the time we got to Epcot, we were too tired to do much. We had planned on staying for EMH but did one ride on Soarin, had a burger at Electric Umbrellas and then headed back to Kidani, very tired.

A note on crowds. IMO they have been very, very heavy most everywhere we've been. I know this is subjective and depends on where you are and when, but I don't remember the crowds being this heavy this time of year (and we've been here many times this time of year). I guess it's the opening of New Fantasyland. Plus lots of cheerleaders and BTG's.

A hint for those booking Kidani. Request to be close to lobby. The hallways are very, very long. We requested close to lobby and are the first studio as you go down the hallway on the 3rd floor. I just walked the hallway to the end, just to see how long it is and I sure would hate having that long hallway facing me after coming back from a park. We've booked a 1BR here for DD's honeymoon in May and I need to call MS and request they be close to lobby.

Well that's about it for this morning. Like I said we're taking it easy today. Plan to eventually do a MK resort tour to look at Christmas decorations plus we've got to go over to VWL (our main home resort). We will probably end up at DTD tonight for dinner and do some shopping.

Here is a link to yesterday's pictures -

Friday's pictures

Enjoying your report, and your pictures are getting me excited for our trip this coming Wednesday! Thanks for sharing! :)

I love Kadani as well stayed there this past april 2 br sv ,it was awesome . Hope you enjoy you stay as well .

Sunday morning update -

Well what had been planned as a relaxing, down day yesterday turned out to be the exact opposite. We had planned on taking the bus over to MK and then do a monorail tour of the MK resorts and look at Christmas decorations and then last night we were just going to DTD and walk around a little.

Well we did take the bus over to MK but that is where the relaxing stopped. We went into MK and spent all morning there, starting with walking around New Fantasyland (which was mobbed). Stayed in MK until after lunch (Pecos Bills). We then took boat over to Wilderness Lodge and looked at decorations there. I love the lobby there and the Christmas tree was beautiful. Then took boat back to Contemporary and saw all the decorations at all three MK resorts.

We then went back to Kidani and rested a little and went back to MK because they had extended closing time to 12:00AM and we wanted to see Wishes. MK was absolutely mobbed with people. We've been to WDW many, many times and I don't know that I've ever seen MK so crowded including Christmas Day. Getting back to Kidani at 11:00 was a real problem as the bus area was really full. Finally they brought in two buses at the same time to take people.

So much for our restful day :rotfl2:.

One more thing - yesterday I saw the largest BTG, I've ever seen. Now I usually try to be tolerant to the BTG's. I know they are just kids having a good time and their culture is different from mine, but this group had probably 150-200 kids in it and at one point they actually took over Main St. USA and marched down it like in a parade doing their chants and their leaders were leading the chants. Totally ruined the Main St. atmosphere. It was so loud, you couldn't hear any of the background music at all.

Plan for today is to head over to AK and do a safari. Not sure what we will do the rest of the day.

Here is yesterday's pictures

Yesterday was the first Saturday after the official opening of the New Fantasyland, which is probably why it was so mobbed. The new Test Track at Epcot was a disaster, too, according to twitter. I imagine today will be similar, as locals and those who booked to come to the grand openings are still lingering around.

We arrive tomorrow and am concerned about these crowds, but I will just go with it. We have 4 days of FP+, so no need for us to run to TSM or Little Mermaid. We will just have to go with it, and realize we will return in 2 more months.

I'm surprised that people like Kidani. We HATED it. The rooms were nice, and we ended up with the edge of savannah view on std view points. The corridors were LOUD and it seemed like every person using an ECV was staying there and parking their scooters in the hallway to charge. The loudness was the worst. I have never experience that much noise at ANY hotel, Disney or not. Even at an All-Star or Pop pool view when it was warm outside. I did not like not having a QS option at the resort. While the little gift shop was nice but extremely small and in the lobby for refillable mugs, that was about it (oh, and it had pomegranate lemonade). We like having a slow morning one morning and eating a calm, not rushed, breakfast at the resort. We couldn't do this at Kidani. Yes, we could have taken the little van over to Jambo, but that was too much of a hassle. We will only stay at Kidani again if we have to. I will always stay at Jambo House and we have NEVER had an issue there.. plus, they tend to be less points. Not to mention that my mom left her sweater in the closet upon check out and we returned to the resort to catch our DME bus and we never saw that sweater again. We filled out a lost item form and everything. We knew EXACTLY where it was, it wasn't like we dropped it somewhere. I'm pretty sure someone who works for AKL is wearing it right now.

I'm glad you are enjoying your stay at Kidani. I hope people don't have the experience we had there ever.

I'm looking forward to my BLT stay tomorrow!

DisneyDudet - I agree about the long hallways. That is why we always request close to lobby. Really haven't had a noise problem or ECV's in the hallway. Also agree about the lobby. Walk to Jambo for Mara doesn't bother us. The only real problem we've had this trip have been the buses. They have been slow and very crowded.

Great TR so far. Well I have now decided that heat trumps BGT and will make my next ressie in the month of September.....one of these days we'll get to VWL during Christmas! Great pics too...

Sunday morning update -

Well what had been planned as a relaxing, down day yesterday turned out to be the exact opposite. We had planned on taking the bus over to MK and then do a monorail tour of the MK resorts and look at Christmas decorations and then last night we were just going to DTD and walk around a little.

Well we did take the bus over to MK but that is where the relaxing stopped. We went into MK and spent all morning there, starting with walking around New Fantasyland (which was mobbed). Stayed in MK until after lunch (Pecos Bills). We then took boat over to Wilderness Lodge and looked at decorations there. I love the lobby there and the Christmas tree was beautiful. Then took boat back to Contemporary and saw all the decorations at all three MK resorts.

We then went back to Kidani and rested a little and went back to MK because they had extended closing time to 12:00AM and we wanted to see Wishes. MK was absolutely mobbed with people. We've been to WDW many, many times and I don't know that I've ever seen MK so crowded including Christmas Day. Getting back to Kidani at 11:00 was a real problem as the bus area was really full. Finally they brought in two buses at the same time to take people.

So much for our restful day :rotfl2:.

One more thing - yesterday I saw the largest BTG, I've ever seen. Now I usually try to be tolerant to the BTG's. I know they are just kids having a good time and their culture is different from mine, but this group had probably 150-200 kids in it and at one point they actually took over Main St. USA and marched down it like in a parade doing their chants and their leaders were leading the chants. Totally ruined the Main St. atmosphere. It was so loud, you couldn't hear any of the background music at all.

Plan for today is to head over to AK and do a safari. Not sure what we will do the rest of the day.

Here is yesterday's pictures

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter