Live from Doc's favorite spot -- HHI

gscott8075

DVC Owner 2001 -2019
Greetings all. I am sitting on my porch of building 31 overlooking the marsh while the kids and the wife sleep. It is a gorgeous morning which will start our first full day here at HHI.

Thanks to Doc and everyone else, we requested "second floor, near pool,overlooking marsh." I am so glad we did. This is the perfect spot to start - and finish the day.

This is our first time here. And my wife's first to a DVC resort. I took the kids to one night at OKW and one night at BWV last month before the cruise to "check them out."

Last week, my wife told me that we weren't driving. I was incredulous since we had been planning on driving since we made the ressies. So, thanks to Expedia and Travelocity, I was able to go from Dulles to Charleston for $190 r/t with 7 day advance!

So, to really show my wife why I dropped all this money on DVC, we stayed at a Travelodge Saturday night. It was awful. She hated it and was pretty mad at me during the drive to HH. (Which was not as bad as I thought!) After we checked in at the resort, I gave her the key and told her to check it out and make sure that it was okay. She came back 5 minutes later with her jaw to the ground. Suddenly, I am a hero.

Now, the big question is if we want to add here. I want to do enough for a 1 br for 5 nights (100-125 points) This time, we have a 2br and after being the skeptic, she wants to add enough to do the 2 br every year (165) Hmmm - looks like ol' Dad hit a home run!!

Anyway, the first day was terrific - if anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. Doc will probably answer them first - but I'll try to help too! :)

Off to the pool!

Thanks for the report. I think you've covered the feeling we get at HH very well.

You've got a great room location and are obviously already spoiled by the 2BR. If you have time, plan to take the "Behind the Ears" tour on Wed. with Chef Gordon. You might be careful about letting your DW go to the members coffee in GV #2822 -also on Wed- because then you might need enough points for the GV! ;)

Have a great trip!

We were there last oct/nov. What kind of activities do they have going on now? If you get the chance of course. Don't want you to spend too much time typing. Have a great time. Also, take one or two of the programs with Eric the Naturalist. Very interesting and informative. Have fun!

According to other folks we have met here, the activities are the same.

Kids night out, Campfires, kayaking trip, Longview cooking club, fly fishing, fireworks, etc.

Doc, I am very worried about my wife going to the coffee. Question - is DVC unable to rent these? There are multiple activities scheduled in 2822 - one of the GV???

Another great day. How am I going to get back into a 1 br???

The Beach House is nice - signage is bad - we biked right past it for a mile.

Went to Harbor Town. Shuttle service on the plantation is shipshod - we waited 30 minutes and 100 people were behind us.

We love the resort - reminds me a bit of Fort WIlderness.

Be back tomorrow!

Here is a link from 2 weeks ago listing the <a href="http://64.225.125.24/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54435">HH activites and fees.</a>

Villa #2822 is a GV- but it is one of the models used by the sales staff. There are a few activities schedule there, including the member's update and "A Private Affair".

Enjoy!

OHHHH!!! I am JEALOUS! ;) Have a wonderful time--it sounds gorgeous. Especially since we'd rather all be there instead of here!

We're in HH at Marriott's Grande Ocean. One point is that members are entitled to the local discounts and all you need is to show them you're member card OR resort ID. Used it last night at The Old Oyster Factory.

Just got back from our week there. We had 2bdrm overlooking pool and slide. It was great to keep an eye on my nephew.

We took the dolphin cruise on the Adventure out of Shelter Cove. I couldn't believe how many dolphins we saw. Also the guide was good at pointing out stuff along the way to Harbor Town.

If you have time eat pizza at Guisseppe's. It is the best pizza on the island. It is in the shopping center were Piggly Wiggly is. They give DVC discount. Go early or late as there is always a line during dinner time.

Fireworks were fantastic as always. Disney does know how to keep us entertained.

Go to the member coffee. They give away door prizes and nice to chat with other DVCer's.

Walmart had a great buy on HH shirts. $5 apiece with all different designs. White shirt, with navy design. Just got through washing and they didn't shrink much. Sam's also had some nice ones golf style for $10.

Have a great vacation, wish we were still there.

Gscott8075- I recently read that all sofabeds are being replaced with new ones at HH. Are you using the sofabed? I am wondering how they are - are they better than standard ones? We were in a 2BR last summer at HH and loved it, but we did not use the sofabed. Thanks!

Candace - This is my first time here and we have not used the sofabed. The sofa seems new.

Another terrific day! This is rapidly becoming one of the best vacations we have ever had!

What room are you in? We were in room 3122 and left Thursday morning. It was our first time in Hilton Head and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved being able to sit on the rocking chairs and look out over the Creek. Wwe were surprised that our kids (16, 12 and 7) said they like HH more than OKW. It's a wonderful resort and we can't wait to return.

Oh how I miss HH!!We were there about the 2nd week in June and had a wonderful time!!!!! We were in the lodge, one bedroom, for 6 nights. It will be a BIG decision weather to go to WDW next year or back to HH!!!!

Karen

We were in 3121 - right next door - now we are in Charleston on our way home...

What a resort!

We went on the cruise a few weeks ago. We asked my kids 6 and 8 where they wanted to go next year....

8 yr old
1. Cruise
2. HH
3. WDW

Meanwhile, my 6 yr old responded, deadpan

1. China
2. Japan

My six yr old has a great sense of humor - and we have been laughing about it all week.

Truthfully, the kids enjoyed HH better than WDW.

The cast is much more involved. The smaller staff puts a real value on communication. They remember everyone's name (amazing) and they have better group activities than WDW resorts.

The kids night out are great (we called them grownup night out) The cast takes the kids to a movie or mini golf in the green DVC vans.

The campfire with B. Lou Crabbe and Carl - it reminded me of a what I expected Fort Wilderness to be when I went there 15 yrs ago.

Very intimate, quiet, relaxing..... HH is a classic resort in the best sense. If you can go there, go - it is a very special Disney experience.

We just this week bought 250 points at HH. We are planning a trip there next year in July. I just love reading your post on HH. Are the childrens programs free? Can someone tell me more about the Childrens Night Out? We have a 6yr. old who will have his 7th birthday there next year. He turned 5 and 6 at Chef Mickeys, is there something special at HH for childrens B-days?

Thanks
TIG:D

tigger- you might check out the link in my post above, it has a listing of the activities and costs for HH programs.

<a href="http://64.225.125.24/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54435">HH Activities</a>

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter