Little one no longer wants to visit Disney

My first question is why does the 7 year old niece not want to go? Does she not like the rides? Does she not care about the characters? If it's specific rides or characters, you can just leave that out of the plans. Hope that helps.

Sounds like she has already told you what the issue is "Too much stuff is planned"
Sounds like she doesn't like the fact that everything is planned out and would prefer a more relaxed vacation.
Maybe go to Disneyland instead or a Disney Cruise. Both of those require very little planning, and IMO offer a much more relaxing vacation than WDW does.

My favorite way to do Disney is just to relax and have fun. There is no need to see and do it all, just get your FPs and let it roll. Sometimes I even get distracted by something else and miss a FP time. We always enjoy ourselves.l, whethetlr riding rides or playing the Sorcerers game, watching a show, or just looking at the interesting sights. We can spend an hour on the people mover without getting bored. Maybe you and your travel party could keep the kids in mind and let them direct the trip?

When my DGD was about 9 years old she also said she was tired of Disney. She asked if we could go to other places. It is a funny age. Several of her friends had never been to WDW and would tease her, and others woudl talk about their family vacation destinations. DD and DSIL just chose other places to go and by the time she was 10 she was ready to go back.

Disney vacations are not beach vacations, and while they can be relaxing, they are not the same as a vacation that allows you to roll out of bed, eat something and then roll onto a beach, etc. I understand the desire, even from a child, to just have nothing planned.

I often wonder why some people think it is a bad thing for children to want to expand theri horizons. I like WDW a lot and it is a favorite destination for me for a variety of reasons, however I recognize that there are so many other ways to enjoy a vacation. Not that the OP or anyone else has suggested this is the case, but I had an aquaintance who refused to go anywhere else with her kids. She did not fly, so traveling from CT was a chore to begin with, and then of course there was that drive back home, so several travel days just there. The kids were told if they did nto want DISney, they went nowhere. And she meant it.

I often wonder why some people think it is a bad thing for children to want to expand theri horizons. I like WDW a lot and it is a favorite destination for me for a variety of reasons, however I recognize that there are so many other ways to enjoy a vacation. Not that the OP or anyone else has suggested this is the case, but I had an aquaintance who refused to go anywhere else with her kids. She did not fly, so traveling from CT was a chore to begin with, and then of course there was that drive back home, so several travel days just there. The kids were told if they did nto want DISney, they went nowhere. And she meant it.

That's really sad! There's so much out in the world. Now, I wouldn't be in a rush to make a 7yo into a world traveler, unless that's the family's style, but there are interesting places all over the US--or beyond, if flying is added in. I've mentioned taking my kids to Europe last summer--DS(now)13's favorite thing was the Sistine Chapel. He was really moved by the incredible art. What I find even more interesting is that, the Europe trip really encouraged him to try more new things. We went to Universal last week, and he tried new rides AND new foods. Okay, he screamed like a girl on Rip, Ride Rocket--but he was willing to try it, and he previously was pretty chicken (like his mom). And, he ordered vegetables for dinner one night--I almost fainted!

That's really sad! There's so much out in the world. Now, I wouldn't be in a rush to make a 7yo into a world traveler, unless that's the family's style, but there are interesting places all over the US--or beyond, if flying is added in. I've mentioned taking my kids to Europe last summer--DS(now)13's favorite thing was the Sistine Chapel. He was really moved by the incredible art. What I find even more interesting is that, the Europe trip really encouraged him to try more new things. We went to Universal last week, and he tried new rides AND new foods. Okay, he screamed like a girl on Rip, Ride Rocket--but he was willing to try it, and he previously was pretty chicken (like his mom). And, he ordered vegetables for dinner one night--I almost fainted!

LOL! Like a girl! LOL!!

I like seeing young people look forward to new experiences like your boy

My DGD wanted a change and by change she meant Boston, NYC, etc. DD and DSIl took her to a lot of nearby destinations so she had a variety of experiences. Now at 17 her favorite place is Aruba, but once she goes into college that too will change.

LOL! Like a girl! LOL!!

I like seeing young people look forward to new experiences like your boy

My DGD wanted a change and by change she meant Boston, NYC, etc. DD and DSIl took her to a lot of nearby destinations so she had a variety of experiences. Now at 17 her favorite place is Aruba, but once she goes into college that too will change.

You kind of have to know him--he DOES scream like a girl! It's a family joke--his sister said she could hear him scream the whole time he was on Rip, Ride, Rocket--and she was on the ground!

BTW, same kid is always telling me all the cities he wants to visit--not so much Boston, as his older sister lives there, so we've been. But Seattle, NYC, Shanghai, Dubai--anywhere where there are interesting buildings. He's got some expensive tastes--I keep telling him, work hard in school, get a good job, and pay for his own travel! Our next big trip is next summer--we're doing a Baltic cruise. 12 nights, 6 countries. I figure a cruise is a good way to compromise on familiar food, same room, etc., but still see different places. 3/4 kids have requested to go to the Anne Frank House in Amsterdam--tough to argue with that!

My seven-year-old still loves Disney. But on our last trip, which was with just DH, DS7 and me, we let him choose a LOT of what we did. He had the best time doing that! And while we had some guidelines, we went along with most of his wishes. It was much more relaxed and he enjoyed making a lot of the decisions.

I think you should include her in your planning. And I like what others have suggested about down time and even splitting up.

My middle son is so tired of Disney. DH can take it or leave it. We'll go back for Galaxy's Edge, but it will be next year. They want to go to other places too. So, we've been branching out.

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I really like the letting her in on the planning (we have always done the big surprise on the day we leave) and maybe going every other year.

Thanks so much for all the feedback. I really like the letting her in on the planning (we have always done the big surprise on the day we leave) and maybe going every other year.

Maybe she is a kid who doesn’t like surprises? Both of my kids (teenagers) have told me not to surprise them. They hate it. I don’t really like it either for myself.

We started to switch it up a couple of years ago after doing a few all Disney vacations in a row. The last 3 years we've spent the majority of our vacation at a condo on the beach and then drove up to Disney for a couple of days. We did 2 years down by St Pete beach and then this year we did Cocoa Beach. It is a nice balance. Next year we are doing 5 days at Disneyland for a change and we all feel ready to do a totally Disney vacation again. My boys are 9 and 10.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter