Little Mermaid flooded with local AP holders when it re-opens?

Rhonna

DIS Veteran
Hi,

Just read that the Little Mermaid attraction will be closed for about a week a the beginning of May for re-furb. When it re-opens it will be at the beginning of our trip.

I don't have the pages that show CA resident AP blocked days. So would it be better to try to get on it when it opens on the weekend - Friday or Sunday May 4th or 6th? Or are the weekdays (Mon-Wed) the 7th-9th better?

Normally I know the weekdays are better, but if for instance, Sunday is a blocked day for CA AP holders that might change the crowd level, right? I've read that they can flood the lines when an attractions comes back up after a refurb.

Or does it not matter since it's a fast loading attraction and is only down for one week?

We haven't been on it yet so we do want to ride the attractions that are new for us.

Thanks!

Do you know when exactly it will be back up? We'll be there May 2-5, and while we had a chance to ride LM in January, I would be sad to have to tell DD that her favorite princess is 'unavailable'.

I'm not sure whether locals will flood in once the ride reopens. Even if they do, you shouldn't have to wait very long. We were there the first week of January, when it was very busy (Christmas break), and never waited more than 10 minutes. You should be fine on either day.

Do you know when exactly it will be back up?

On the 4th of May. Closed April 30th through May 3rd.

Some locals will want to see, but I doubt they will even add two minutes to LM which has very high capacity and really short waits.

I would imagine most locals have been on it quite a few times and so would not wait long to see it after the referb. Have a wonderful trip!

Seriously, I doubt it! As its been said, its such a fast loader now, once the initial rush hit at opening, its basically 15-20 mins now in the busiest seasons. And averages 5-10 mins tops most of the time.

The redo sounds nice, but nothing no one is going to rush out to see I imagine. Unless you ride the first day of opening, I dont see the times being any different than it normally would, maybe an additional few mins. And its such a quick redo, I doubt most people will even know about the changes until after it opens!

...I've read that they can flood the lines when an attractions comes back up after a refurb....

I would be more worried about vacationers such as yourself who have been at the Parks April 30th through May 3rd and are wanting to ride it before leaving than I would be about locals who can choose to come ride another time, when it's not so busy.

Will vacationers flood it? Probably, but as stated above, it's fast loading and I would not worry too much about it being a giant wait.

- Dreams

I agree with Disney Dreams that there will probably be more vacationers looking to see the ride before they go home, than AP holders.

Let's say 12,000 extra people wanted to see it in one day (a ridiculously high number IMO; that would be 1/5 the number of people that visit Disneyland on a crowded day). If they visited spread out throughout a 12-hour day, it would (in theory) increase the wait time by something around 30 minutes. If it's 4,000 extra people, it's more like 10 minutes. 1,000 extra people throughout the day and it's about 2 and a half minutes.

Even if a ridiculous number of people do show up to see the ride, they won't be spread out evenly throughout the day, but will tend to ride during the busier parts of the day anyway. I would think late in the day/evening will probably have the shortest wait. But I personally don't think it will be an awful wait even if you go in mid-afternoon.

Have a great trip!

We were in the park a month after the ride first opened. The highest wait I saw was 20 mins. But it stayed around 5-10mins for the majority of the time we were there. I highly doubt the refurb will cause long wait times when it reopens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter