Lisbon recommendations

RACHEL_GB

Mouseketeer
Hi! I am trying to work out what to do in Lisbon for the day when we stop off, does anyone have any recommendations please?

It's me, my husband and children 9 & 5

Thanks in advance!

Rachel

I was recently on a short trip to Lisbon before my parents embarked on a cruise there to see them off. It is a beautiful city and there is so much to do!! I need to look up names and places and will come back tonight with some info and pictures. Just about to head out to work!

I was recently on a short trip to Lisbon before my parents embarked on a cruise there to see them off. It is a beautiful city and there is so much to do!! I need to look up names and places and will come back tonight with some info and pictures. Just about to head out to work!
Thanks so much, can't wait to hear about it!

We loved Belem, a neighborhood in Lisbon. There's a lot to see in a relatively small area. You can see the Jeronimos Monastery (nearby, under a blue awning, is Portugal's most famous pastry shop, serving yummy custard tarts that are their specialty). Then you can walk along the river to the Discoveries monument and Belem tower and get a great view of the Golden Gate Bridge's "cousin", the 25 de Abril Bridge.

We loved Belem, a neighborhood in Lisbon. There's a lot to see in a relatively small area. You can see the Jeronimos Monastery (nearby, under a blue awning, is Portugal's most famous pastry shop, serving yummy custard tarts that are their specialty). Then you can walk along the river to the Discoveries monument and Belem tower and get a great view of the Golden Gate Bridge's "cousin", the 25 de Abril Bridge.
Thank you, my husband LOVES those tarts, that sounds a great place to visit

We used the Rick Steves guide quite a bit. I just looked up the name of the cafe, it's Pasteis de Belem. Sometimes the line is out the door, but following Rick's advice, we went on in to the cafe part where you can sit down and order tarts and great coffee (they have a few other things, too). He has quite a few self-guided walking tours you can do throughout the town. (some people download his walking tours to their smart phones -- they can be used without data. But we are not "audioguide" people, and we prefer just to occasionally read from the book for guidance).

The other great thing to see is a short train ride outside of Lisbon: the suburb of Sintra, with all its fantastical palaces. But not sure how long you have in port. Sintra is really an all day affair.

We used the Rick Steves guide quite a bit. I just looked up the name of the cafe, it's Pasteis de Belem. Sometimes the line is out the door, but following Rick's advice, we went on in to the cafe part where you can sit down and order tarts and great coffee (they have a few other things, too). He has quite a few self-guided walking tours you can do throughout the town. (some people download his walking tours to their smart phones -- they can be used without data. But we are not "audioguide" people, and we prefer just to occasionally read from the book for guidance).

The other great thing to see is a short train ride outside of Lisbon: the suburb of Sintra, with all its fantastical palaces. But not sure how long you have in port. Sintra is really an all day affair.
Thank you for the tip about Sintra, I had fancied it but if it's a full day it's not probably a good idea, I think the onboard time is 4.45 which may leave it a little tight if we want to see other things.:thanks:

We went to Lisbon last summer in our Disney cruise... We used Eco tuk tours! It was fabulous! Our kids were 9 and 6 and they lived it too! We went all over Lisbon. And we visited the pastry shop everyone is talking about except our guide skipped the line and brought us the delightful goodies and snacks to the tuk tuk!
Eco tuk picked is up at the cruise ship and dropped us off. We requested a lunch stop as well and are taken to a wonderful little restaurant!
Loved it and would highly recommend this type company. Check them out on trip advisor!

We went to Lisbon last summer in our Disney cruise... We used Eco tuk tours! It was fabulous! Our kids were 9 and 6 and they lived it too! We went all over Lisbon. And we visited the pastry shop everyone is talking about except our guide skipped the line and brought us the delightful goodies and snacks to the tuk tuk!
Eco tuk picked is up at the cruise ship and dropped us off. We requested a lunch stop as well and are taken to a wonderful little restaurant!
Loved it and would highly recommend this type company. Check them out on trip advisor!
Thank you I will! Sounds fab

Been many many times. First off I saw some of the farther excursions Disney offers to Sintra (which could be ok as far as time) but that city is a whole tour in itself. Belem is great, Lisbon city tour is great too, my heart is in Alfama, (part of Old Lisbon) visit Castelo S. Jorge if you can, the view is breathtaking.

Fatima, Batalha, Obidos is way to far and like we saw what happened in Ireland, if you get caught in traffic good luck. I have sat in 2.5 hour traffic many a time to or from Fatima.
I will be happy to answer any questions regarding Lisbon.

The pastry is Pasteis de Belem, from the original shop that created them. Their recipe is guarded and never been out side the family. I have heard that only some ingredients are know to each of a few family, so that no one person can make them. That is something my mom told me who grew up there. It is a FILO dough cup filled with custard and baked, it is wonderful. If you don't have time to sit in they sell them to go at the counter. The line goes by quickly. Some tour operators have orders placed for the day for their groups, so they just pop in to simply pick up a packet of them ahead of the line.
In every other Cafe they have them as Pasteis de Nata (generic term). They are also wonderful, in case you don't get to Belem.

The pastry is Pasteis de Belem, from the original shop that created them. Their recipe is guarded and never been out side the family. I have heard that only some ingredients are know to each of a few family, so that no one person can make them. That is something my mom told me who grew up there. It is a FILO dough cup filled with custard and baked, it is wonderful. If you don't have time to sit in they sell them to go at the counter. The line goes by quickly. Some tour operators have orders placed for the day for their groups, so they just pop in to simply pick up a packet of them ahead of the line.
In every other Cafe they have them as Pasteis de Nata (generic term). They are also wonderful, in case you don't get to Belem.
Thank you. My husband had bought them in posh bakeries here before but I am sure they are still not a patch on the real thing.

Really appreciate all the suggestions, I am thinking eco tuk in the morning, trip to Belem for lunch/afternoon

BTW almost everyone (shops, businesses, bank, markets) speaks English, especially in and around touristy and sightseeing areas.
Note of caution:
Be wary of pick-pockets in the touristy areas, in crowds, trams, trains, buses.
There isn't much of violent crime, heck I still hear it from my aunt, that someone was beaten 15+ years ago in area X, so we should stay away (LOL). But pickpockets and petty theft does occur.
It was voted one of the safest cities, but don't take that for granted with theft.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter