Linking Reservations: Pros and Cons?

First, I want to wish you good luck. Then I want to encourage you not to worry TOO much. When we did our first DCL cruise, we ended up getting everything we wanted. Not all that first night, but before we went.

If anything is sold out for the number of people you want, try for 1 person, and then try for more people. In the worst case, if you can't get enough slots and don't want to split up, you can always cancel the slots you have later and make someone else's day.

I would say prioritize based on your desire and anticipated demand. If there is one excursion that you all REALLY want to do, book that first. Then do the rest of the excursions, starting with the ones with the greatest number of people going. Then do the M&Gs and the breakfast. Those sometimes add extra times or have extra tickets once you get on board, or even last minute cancellations, since they don't have a cost. Unless you are desperate for a certain spa treatment at a certain time, maybe book those after the PAT. Likewise any alcohol tastings as they often get extra slots added once on board, so if you can't get them online you are still likely to be able to do them.

As for the PAT, if you have 4 people who are willing to assist you, people can be filling out the online check-in and getting the PATs while you book the excursions for everyone. It is important to understand that you can't pick a PAT until you've entered ALL the other info that they ask you for, Passport numbers, home address, credit card, flight info, etc. However, it is also important to understand that these info can be changed later. So if you are really nervous about getting the same PAT times, what I would suggest is answer the questions in the quickest way possible initially, and then go back and update the information AFTER you get your PATs. So for instance, say you are using drivers' license and birth certificates for everyone so that you don't have to enter passport numbers. Say that you are paying cash to avoid typing in Credit Card numbers, and say that you are driving to avoid putting in flight numbers. After you have your PATs, you can update that information as appropriate.

Remember too, PATs get cancelled by people too, so if only half of your party can get the time you wish, take them. Then keep checking back and you may be able to move the rest of your group to that time.

Good luck!

Last edited:
@Anchors Away has done a great job of detailing the process!

Last year, we traveled with my parents and had linked reservations (booked separately, then linked before check-in date). When I logged in, the activities scheduling was delayed, as others mention can happen. By the time I did on-line check in for my room and then my parents' room, it was open. Because it's Disney IT, it could go either way, or be delayed an hour for both, who knows. Just to reiterate, they're two separate processes, so just b/c one is delayed doesn't mean the other is.

Regarding the reservation number issue - my parents are taking the entire family on our cruise this summer, but each nuclear family still has their own reservation number. So even though the staterooms were all booked together at the same time by our TA and the entire deposit paid by my parents (sort of - we had an OBB for my immediate family to transfer to the res), I guess they automatically get assigned separate Disney reservation numbers. Perhaps Disney needs a "lead" for each nuclear family? The only difference for us was that we did not get the TA's own agency confirmation info / receipt / dates payment is due / etc. Only my parents got that.

Anchors Away...Thank you so much for the reassurance and words of advice. The way you explained the priorities was very helpful. I’m pretty “seasoned” with my WDW planning, but I’m trying to figure out all of the ins and outs of DCL.

I appreciate everyone's help and wisdom!

Adrian

Are you positive about this? My group has 3 separate reservations linked and we sat in the same room on 3 different computers all logged in to our accounts checking in at the same time.

We have linked reservations now and both can definitely be accessed online at the same time, because we both sat on the phone looking at excursions together (each from own computer).
Now - once one of us started booking an excursion, that's when the other got a message saying "the other party is modifying the reservation, you have to wait" something like that.
I don't see any downsides to having them linked unless you don't want the other to know your plans.
You can make reservations for activities for both staterooms at the same time, cancel them etc.
Having our reservations linked for GT rates, we ended up with rooms next to each other.
They will also sit you at dinner together.
Have a great cruise:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter