Lingering after park close? How late can you ride?

NicholeB630

DIS Veteran
So we never stayed really late before because our kids were younger but this trip in May we are hoping to make it to close at Magic Kingdom. I definitely will be avoiding leaving right after fireworks, I believe the park will be closing at 9 PM the night we are there. I was curious how long can you kind of hang out while the crowd leaves? And also is there a cut off time to get on a ride? Thanks!

They have a very organized way of closing that prevents last minute riders.

After all , they want to go home as well.

The start by closing the ride, then the lands from back to front.

The literally sweep the streets with people holding ropes between them to move you back to Main street.

So we never stayed really late before because our kids were younger but this trip in May we are hoping to make it to close at Magic Kingdom. I definitely will be avoiding leaving right after fireworks, I believe the park will be closing at 9 PM the night we are there. I was curious how long can you kind of hang out while the crowd leaves? And also is there a cut off time to get on a ride? Thanks!
CMs tend to start ushering guests toward the front on the park right after the fireworks are over or the park closes, whichever is later) but they aren't pushy about it. If you're on Main Street and can find a place to sit or stand until the crowd thins out, no one is going to bother you.

If the park closes at 9PM, you may enter a queue until 8:59 and will be allowed to ride that attraction.

Once you exit that attraction it’s anticipated you’ll make your way to the front of the park. Most retail at the front of the park will be open for about an hour after the park closes.

They have a very organized way of closing that prevents last minute riders.
After all , they want to go home as well.
The start by closing the ride, then the lands from back to front.
They literally sweep the streets with people holding ropes between them to move you back to Main street

It's interesting to me that you have this perspective because I have never, ever felt dissuaded from getting in a line up to the last second. Sometimes CMs will stand at the entrance and loudly call out that they are closing the line, to make sure anyone who wants to get in can get in.

No no, never felt dissuaded at all. But I do respect the CMs alot and know they want to go home. So, self guilt I guess!

That being said, once the park is closed, they really will not let you hang around in the lands very long.

We once got on Splash a few 20 minutes before close, rode it, and then asked the CM if we could go again, as it was still about 5 minutes to park close.

We didnt even get out of the boat , just went around again. When we docked again, there was literally no one around…..we actually left the ride and found out we were behind the CMs clearing the lands.

It was really amazing to be in the park that late, me and my daughter only (wife and son left early)….strolling through Adventure land…

then Main….

then to an empty skiff back to Poly….

We've stayed after park close many times at MK to allow the crowds to disperse. We usually get in a line right before close, or grab an ice cream cone, or both. They are not pushy at all about making you leave. You can easily stay 30-45 minutes after and still have a decent amount of other guests on Main Street.

Dan

While the parks close at x o’clock, CMs are scheduled beyond that time so getting in line for an attraction right at park close is acceptable. Once we finish the final attraction we head to the front of the park and pretty much kept moving.

Be aware that this is usually the practice but not 100% of the time. I have been told an attraction is closed, more than once, when I've tried to get in the line even 10 min. before park close. I think in those cases, it might just have been an instance when the CM was ready to go home and no one was in the line in front of me. And I get it, after putting in long hours in the sun and with sometimes not the nicest guests, I would be ready to go home too and not let that last straggler get on. I've never made a big deal about it if turned away, just smiled and thanked the CM and walked away.

You do usually have up until the last minute (8:59 pm for a 9 pm close) - but if they know the queue is way full already - yes - occasionally they close them earlier. They are also really strict on when their time says - not yours - so I never push it quite until the very last minute. I've never been the last one into a queue - but I've been close numerous times. I've also lost out!

I have been one of the last people on Main Street - and while the CM's are polite for a long time - they do start asking about your departure plans at the end. I was sitting on a bench - waiting for my SIL - who was probably the last person in the Emporium one night. I had to tell them if they could get her out the shop - I would be happy to leave! It was a bit creepy to be running towards the ferry as they were calling out that they were the last ferry of the evening.

With the exception of the sweeping day guests out on party nights, I've never seen them sweep through the lands to make sure folks have left. Once all the shops, carts, line queues, and restrooms are closed - there really is nothing to do but leave.

It's interesting to me that you have this perspective because I have never, ever felt dissuaded from getting in a line up to the last second. Sometimes CMs will stand at the entrance and loudly call out that they are closing the line, to make sure anyone who wants to get in can get in.
Same here, I usually sleep through rope drop, have a nice breakfast, head to the park in the afternoon.

I have never had an issue walking into the line up to published closing.

I have never felt “rushed” to leave.

You way not find an ice cream stand open, but usually the retail store will still be open.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter