Line most similar to DCL

i went on RC in November and didn’t have a single person approach me about buying any extras and I did not see any advertising other than a piece of paper skipped under my door mentioning if I book a future cruise while onboard I would get a discount and $600 in on board credit. I’m sorry you’ve had such different experiences.
It definitely varies by cruise with those other companies. I agree with other posters about how it doesn't feel very luxury to me, and I'm happy Disney doesn't do it.

Disney doesn't push it nearly as much as Royal or Carnival, in my experience. Yes they do have plenty of extras you can pay for, but on other crusielines it seems like they are constantly pushing ads around the ship and have crew members who do the same. Things like Palo, Remy, and BBB are typically full on Disney, so they don't need to do this. The example I always think of is MSC's line of upcharges as you board the ship:
I was not asked one time on my recent Harmony of the seas cruise to buy anything. My last DCL cruise in November I was asked no less than 5 times the first day if I wanted to buy a water or beer package. But really, how hard is it to just say no or walk past the table selling specialty dining or drink packages?

I was not asked one time on my recent Harmony of the seas cruise to buy anything. My last DCL cruise in November I was asked no less than 5 times the first day if I wanted to buy a water or beer package. But really, how hard is it to just say no or walk past the table selling specialty dining or drink packages?
It's not impossible to walk by, but it's also pretty trashy in my opinion.

What beer package does DCL offer? Or was this the refillable mug?

What beer package does DCL offer? Or was this the refillable mug?
Not the refillable mug. On embarkation day, they sell the cooler bag filled with “x” number of beers or you can get it with water. I’m shocked you’ve never been hounded on the pool deck about it.

Not the refillable mug. On embarkation day, they sell the cooler bag filled with “x” number of beers or you can get it with water. I’m shocked you’ve never been hounded on the pool deck about it.
Not on the pool deck. I've seen the coolers of water for sale, especially on port days, but not the beer.

DCL is no different. I regularly receive in cabin phone calls soliciting DVC. I've also received solicitations for discounted, last-minute Port Adventures. I've seen spa employees parked out the entrances / exits of Cabanas during lunch, soliciting services. I've heard ship wide announcements notifying that space was still available for Biddi Bobbidi Boutique, Royal Court Tea, etc.

Disney has a small fleet and a very loyal, dedicated fan base who snap up most of the paid options in advance, hence they often don't need to advertise. But as long as it's subtle, what's the problem? Since the restart, on a typical cruise, roughly half the guests are first timers. They may not know about drink packages or other options. And some people appreciate knowing the Bingo cards or space at the Royal Court Tea is still available.

I doubt you'll ever experience a situation where a service provider -- in any facet of life -- isn't going to solicit its optional and upcharge services. Even the most luxurious service providers will let you know what they can do -- for a fee, of course.

DCL is no different. I regularly receive in cabin phone calls soliciting DVC. I've also received solicitations for discounted, last-minute Port Adventures. I've seen spa employees parked out the entrances / exits of Cabanas during lunch, soliciting services. I've heard ship wide announcements notifying that space was still available for Biddi Bobbidi Boutique, Royal Court Tea, etc.
I have heard several stories about upsells on DCL, so maybe my experience hasn't been the same as everyone else's.
Even the most luxurious service providers will let you know what they can do -- for a fee, of course.
There are certainly vacations where this is possible, but only very high end, much more expensive than Disney.

There are certainly vacations where this is possible, but only very high end, much more expensive than Disney.

They would be very rare. Most everybody wants experiences and if you're selling experiences, wealthy people staying at high-end hotels are a great pool to market to. When staff asks 'How was your day? Can I get you a drink now? Would you like me to make a dinner reservation? Would you be needing a car? Are you interested in a masseuse afterward?' ... this is another type of upselling. Very unlikely you're ever going to get away from it -- and quite frankly, many people expect and want it.

After 16 DCL cruises we tried Royal - Independence of the Seas this past October. The ship was very nice. But the food was just mediocre. A lot of it tasted like it came from the frozen section of our local supermarket. I’m guessing if we had paid up charges of $45 or more per person each night we might have gotten better food. We have always enjoyed the food on all of the Disney ships. The entertainment was passable but sometimes amateurish. As far as the stateroom it was well laid out and decent size. But there were no electric outlets or charging ports near the bed. It was the little things that have sent us back to DCL. We are willing to pay a little more to get what we like.

Last edited:
They would be very rare. Most everybody wants experiences and if you're selling experiences, wealthy people staying at high-end hotels are a great pool to market to. When staff asks 'How was your day? Can I get you a drink now? Would you like me to make a dinner reservation? Would you be needing a car? Are you interested in a masseuse afterward?' ... this is another type of upselling. Very unlikely you're ever going to get away from it -- and quite frankly, many people expect and want it.
A lot of high end cruises and guided tours are truly all-inclusive. Every drink and restaurant on-board is included, spa appointments and a list of 10 different excursions, and even your flights and hotel the night before. But these tend to start at double the price of Disney.

After 16 DCL cruises we tried Royal - Independence of the Seas this past October. The ship was very nice. But the food was just mediocre. A lot of it tasted like it came from the frozen section of our local supermarket. I’m guessing if we had paid up charges of $45 or more per person each night we might have gotten better food. We have always enjoyed the food on all of the Disney ships. The entertainment was passable but sometimes amateurish. As far as the stateroom it was well laid out and decent size. But there were no electric outlets or charging ports near the bed. It was the little things that have sent us back to DCL. We are willing to pay a little more to get what we like.

I always wonder why when RCL fans travel on DCL, they describe the food as being poor, when DCL do RCL they same the same, etc.

A lot of high end cruises and guided tours are truly all-inclusive. Every drink and restaurant on-board is included, spa appointments and a list of 10 different excursions, and even your flights and hotel the night before. But these tend to start at double the price of Disney.

And every one of those cruise lines has upsells on alcohol, spa, excursions, etc.

I always wonder why when RCL fans travel on DCL, they describe the food as being poor, when DCL do RCL they same the same, etc.
We thought the Royal food was pretty basic, not very flavorful. Had chicken cordon bleu one night and I swear the grocery store frozen had more flavor. My husband, who is a bit of a picky eater, came back to the table at the windjammer at dinner one night with only a couple rolls some salami and cheese because they didn’t have anything he liked. I will say their food on Coco Cay was very good, way better than what was served on ship.

I always wonder why when RCL fans travel on DCL, they describe the food as being poor, when DCL do RCL the same the same, etc. …
It doesn’t matter which cruise I am on - before, during, and after I describe it as “cruise food.” Even our latest Disney, on the Fantasy.

Which normally means, it’s not great, but I have never been hungry on a cruise. Until I sailed NCL Jade in December (not my first NCL cruise). It wasn’t my first NCL cruise last Fall, actually.

It was more about the buffet offerings. MDR and Free at Sea Specialty dining ($12 gratuity) were fine. I overheard someone say, how many ways can you prepare beef and tomatoes and call it stew? 🤣 > > >

I kid you not - this is ad in the Disboard page just now:

IMG_7227.jpeg

Last edited:
It doesn’t matter which cruise I am on - before, during, and after I describe it as “cruise food.” Even our latest Disney, on the Fantasy.

Which normally means, it’s not great, but I have never been hungry on a cruise. Until I sailed NCL Jade in December (not my first NCL cruise). It wasn’t my first NCL cruise last Fall, actually.

It was more about the buffet offerings. MDR and Free at Sea Specialty dining ($12 gratuity) were fine. I overheard someone say, how many ways can you prepare beef and tomatoes and call it stew? 🤣 > > >

I kid you not - this is ad in the Disboard page just now:

View attachment 844391

Just wondering if you have cruised MSC Yacht Club for a Total Experience Comparison? YC can be close to what a Family Verandah on DCL is --

9/9/2024 DCL $3,200
9/8/2024 MSC YC $3,600

Just wondering if you have cruised MSC Yacht Club for a Total Experience Comparison? YC can be close to what a Family Verandah on DCL is --

9/9/2024 DCL $3,200
9/8/2024 MSC YC $3,600
No. I have sailed MSC, though. I don’t typically book into Concierge level cabins (I have a few times - DCL - before the price escalation that has occurred the last few years).

You are more likely to find me booking interior and oceanview rooms - preferably when they are discounted. I don’t even want to pay the extra for a balcony. I can waste money; this is not where I chose to do it.

I have heard good things about Yacht Club. I just don’t identify myself as a Concierge type guest.

No. I have sailed MSC, though. I don’t typically book into Concierge level cabins (I have a few times - DCL - before the price escalation that has occurred the last few years).

You are more likely to find me booking interior and oceanview rooms - preferably when they are discounted. I don’t even want to pay the extra for a balcony. I can waste money; this is not where I chose to do it.

I have heard good things about Yacht Club. I just don’t identify myself as a Concierge type guest.
We met a cruiser on Oasis years ago who was constantly *on the water* cruising interior because she had reached the Highest Royal Loyalty Level many years earlier and was known by the Captain/Crew on the ships she voyaged around the World being treated as the VIP she was.

Understand your Interior Choice being more prudent but was just curious about if you had done a YC since it offers so much more than DCL Concierge for often times very close to DCL Verandah pricing. We don't really avail ourselves of Concierge Perks but simply enjoy what is available along with the much less hectic experience due to the pampering, all liquids available on entire ship at any time, the exclusive spaces and especially the YC Restaurant on the ship and on Ocean Cay.

Enjoy your continued cruising. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2

What I like about DCL:
- Personally have not experienced soft or hard sells on my voyages
- Turn down service - with kids this is especially nice
- Food quality overall very good - only one bad meal ever on my cruises
- Extraordinary entertainment quality - the best of the parks and the best of broadway
- Ships are not too big

What I dislike about DCL:
- Soda is "included" except when it isn't
- for a family oriented cruise line not having a dinner alternative that takes less than 1.5 hours is a problem
- boring itineraries/options out of Florida
- insane summer pricing
- weak loyalty program
- the first three cruises we booked we got very lucky - DCL priced equal or lower to comparable trips on RCL... Now I see RCL prices are significantly lower than DCL.

That said, we tried Royal.... We prefer DCL... When children are older we would be very interested in Celebrity or another line, or whatever... For us the pros outweigh the cons

One perk from working on the financial side of Hollywood/ entertainment business (it's not a glamorous job) is that I've dined at some of the best restaurants in the world. And I think the typical food served on cruises is... well, good to very good, sometimes even excellent. I recall going to luxury all inclusive resorts in the 2000s and being served nachos with heavily watered down cheese; fajitas comprised of tough, fatty meat; pizza that tasted nothing like pizza; ground beef with a high fat content and ground up bone, etc. So I find it absolutely ridiculous when people describe food as "inedible."

Everybody is going to have a bad meal now and then. Life happens. But cruise lines regularly survey guests and those surveys -- even on Disney -- mean everything to the staff. If you think the food is inedible and bring it to their attention, they'll do whatever it takes to correct the problem. In most situations, it's not that the food was inedible anyway -- it's just that the person was disappointed they weren't on their favorite cruise line. Amazing how professional reviewers rate Carnival, Royal, Norwegian, Disney, etc. as having similar food (which is very true in my experience) yet die hard fans of a particular cruise line will always insist their line's food is wayyyyy better.

Sometimes it's the ship. Smaller ships have more limited choices, including at the buffet. We've done the Carnival Miracle a few times. Carnival's attracting a large number of Chinese immigrants, so it dedicated a portion of the Miracle's buffet to Chinese food -- real ethnic cuisine, not the Americanized stuff you get at Panda Express and PF Chang's. Most of us aren't going to prefer the ethnic cuisine... but the limited space for traditional fare doesn't leave much for selection. But the good news is there's multiple other choices (besides the buffet) you can pick from.

One perk from working on the financial side of Hollywood/ entertainment business (it's not a glamorous job) is that I've dined at some of the best restaurants in the world. And I think the typical food served on cruises is... well, good to very good, sometimes even excellent. I recall going to luxury all inclusive resorts in the 2000s and being served nachos with heavily watered down cheese; fajitas comprised of tough, fatty meat; pizza that tasted nothing like pizza; ground beef with a high fat content and ground up bone, etc. So I find it absolutely ridiculous when people describe food as "inedible."

Everybody is going to have a bad meal now and then. Life happens. But cruise lines regularly survey guests and those surveys -- even on Disney -- mean everything to the staff. If you think the food is inedible and bring it to their attention, they'll do whatever it takes to correct the problem. In most situations, it's not that the food was inedible anyway -- it's just that the person was disappointed they weren't on their favorite cruise line. Amazing how professional reviewers rate Carnival, Royal, Norwegian, Disney, etc. as having similar food (which is very true in my experience) yet die hard fans of a particular cruise line will always insist their line's food is wayyyyy better.

Sometimes it's the ship. Smaller ships have more limited choices, including at the buffet. We've done the Carnival Miracle a few times. Carnival's attracting a large number of Chinese immigrants, so it dedicated a portion of the Miracle's buffet to Chinese food -- real ethnic cuisine, not the Americanized stuff you get at Panda Express and PF Chang's. Most of us aren't going to prefer the ethnic cuisine... but the limited space for traditional fare doesn't leave much for selection. But the good news is there's multiple other choices (besides the buffet) you can pick from.

Food is definitely an individual preference thing.

The dining room head waiters are very good at taking care of the few issues I have had (seems to be an over cooked meat, usually). Even I have problems with this when I cook - and I am not feeding hundreds at a time.

I actually come from the bottom end of food preferences: I want it more simple, but still good ingredients. Not a fan of lots of sauces or “chef-y” food as I called it for years. As a child, I would order half a grilled cheese sandwich. I have widened my tastes, but didn’t try Chinese food til college. And when I visited China in my mid 30s, we ate the American Chinese restaurant they served us. At a Chinese- Vietnamese wedding dinner in a seafood restaurant, our table of the rare Anglos agreed to try everything they presented. Every item was something new to us. And all was delicious.

And I still think some of the soups on cruise ships are my favorite items. I ate French onion soup nearly everyday I was on NCL last fall (that’s about a month). Buffet, MDR, French restaurant. I wouldn’t have touched that when I was young.

And dinner this weekend - Pho - was so comforting. They had a daily noodle soup on NCL Joy to Canada. ☺️

And dinner this weekend - Pho - was so comforting. They had a daily noodle soup on NCL Joy to Canada.
Pho is good anytime, anyplace, anywhere. Even a mediocre pho restaurant is comforting with the soup and the noodles.

Carnival's attracting a large number of Chinese immigrants, so it dedicated a portion of the Miracle's buffet to Chinese food -- real ethnic cuisine, not the Americanized stuff you get at Panda Express and PF Chang's.
I'll be honest - if I'm on a cruise, I'm pretty much happy if they have congee at breakfast. But if Carnival is making an attempt at being a little more authentic to mainland cuisine, all power to them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter