Line most similar to DCL

I love your response. I bought into the 'they will nickel and dime you' for years. I mean, others must know right? They must have experienced it. Finally stepped out on DCL and booked RCL. Spent the week wondering where was this nickel and diming? It didn't show up. It's just not there. Doesn't stop them from repeating this though. I really wish they wouldn't, it scares people off of trying other things. It did me anyways.

Yes, no upcharges to be found on RCL. Also, all the activities on Coco Cay are free. No upcharge water park, pools or beaches to be find either. 😂

Listen, if you don't care about the extras, then it's obviously of no cost to you. But it doesn't mean they don't exist. If you've come to expect SOME form of beverages included in the package (like they are with NCL and Virgin as part of their promotion), some specialty dining options included (like they are with NCL and Virgin as part of their promotion), and wifi (as it is with NCL and Virgin as part of their promotion), then you may be surprised when Royal and some other lines don't. That's all.

And to the person who keeps thinking we're talking about Disney when it comes to inclusions, we're not?

Yes, no upcharges to be found on RCL. Also, all the activities on Coco Cay are free. No upcharge water park, pools or beaches to be find either. 😂

Listen, if you don't care about the extras, then it's obviously of no cost to you. But it doesn't mean they don't exist. If you've come to expect SOME form of beverages included in the package (like they are with NCL and Virgin as part of their promotion), some specialty dining options included (like they are with NCL and Virgin as part of their promotion), and wifi (as it is with NCL and Virgin as part of their promotion), then you may be surprised when Royal and some other lines don't. That's all.

And to the person who keeps thinking we're talking about Disney when it comes to inclusions, we're not?
Well, this thread was about what is closest to DCL so I think most replies are comparing whatever cruise line to DCL.
Having said that, you want to talk about upcharges on RCL. It has been mentioned many times that most things that have an upcharge are things you can not get on DCL, they are not there. So, yes, you pay for the water park on Coco Cay but DCL doesn't offer this option. If they did, you would probably see an upcharge there as well. There is a Premium beach on Coco Cay that you would pay for, it's private and has a pool specifically for them. DCL doesn't offer this but if they did.....you get it. There is still tons of beach space, several areas you can pick from. Loads of seating. Coco Cay has the largest pool in the Caribbean and there is no fee to use it. DCL doesn't have a pool. Not sure what else you would say Coco Cay has that RCL charges for. Maybe you can remind me.
No one said extras don't cost. What was said was most things that have an upcharge are things DCL does not offer, such as a drink package. You can buy it or not but if DCL did offer it, you bet you would pay extra for it. Wifi? Yes, you pay on either DCL or RCL. Specialty dinning? Both have it and you pay extra. RCCL just offers more choice there. Many more options and you can purchase them or not, the same as you would on DCL.
BTW, I have priced out Virgin and it is more than even DCL so I would expect to get more. You pay for the 'free/included' stuff one way or the other. Can't talk about NCL as I haven't priced it but I'm sure it's not cheap either.
Just stop pretending that everything is nickel and diming when it's items that aren't offered on some other lines or just because it is included when the price is a premium.

If your group is all adults, Virgin Voyages is surprisingly similar to Disney. Good entertainment and lots of it, restaurants and soft drinks all included in your cruise fare, and similar overall quality and little touches.

Princess and Holland America are in a similar category in terms of luxury, but a very different atmosphere. Frankly they're a bit boring for me, but other love them, and that's awesome.

I think Norwegian's free at sea/other packages would give you what you're looking for. Most NCL fares include the drink package and 1 or 2 upcharge restaurant dining credits, but you can easily add more at a discounted rate before the cruise starts. They have great theater shows and generally good service. You'll get even better dining room service in the upcharge restaurants.

Very few cruiselines do any turndown service anymore, unless you're in a suite area or on a luxury line. If service is that important to you, I would look at doing a suite on Celebrity or Norwegian.

Last edited:

There's a big difference between "upcharges" and "nickel and diming to death." It's been written in this forum multiple times this week, including in this very thread more than once, that Disney is a true "all inclusive" product whereas other cruise lines "nickel and dime" you to death. Consider an example that was brought up, dinner. On DCL, you get your choice of the MDR, room service or quick service. On other cruise lines, you get your choice of MDR, buffet or quick service -- on some larger ships, you get additional quick service options. The additional upcharge options provided are just that, additional options. It isn't nickel and diming when Disney has its own (but less) upcharge options as well.

NCL's "free at sea" really isn't free. You can purchase Princess Plus, for example, for slightly more than the mandatory gratuities NCL adds onto its "free" package -- and Princes Plus is a better value as it includes all gratuities, unlimited WiFi, etc.

Virgin is nice when you can get a deal, otherwise those inclusions cost more than addon packages on other mainstream carriers.

There is nothing premium about having to check in and out towels. The best hotels do not do that.

It's pretty common practice at most hotels in Hawaii, Mexico and the Caribbean. I don't stay at domestic (excluding Hawaii) beach hotels, so I don't know if it's common in Florida, etc. It was done at the Hyatt Huntington Beach a few years ago though.

Well, this thread was about what is closest to DCL so I think most replies are comparing whatever cruise line to DCL.
Having said that, you want to talk about upcharges on RCL. It has been mentioned many times that most things that have an upcharge are things you can not get on DCL, they are not there. So, yes, you pay for the water park on Coco Cay but DCL doesn't offer this option. If they did, you would probably see an upcharge there as well. There is a Premium beach on Coco Cay that you would pay for, it's private and has a pool specifically for them. DCL doesn't offer this but if they did.....you get it. There is still tons of beach space, several areas you can pick from. Loads of seating. Coco Cay has the largest pool in the Caribbean and there is no fee to use it. DCL doesn't have a pool. Not sure what else you would say Coco Cay has that RCL charges for. Maybe you can remind me.
No one said extras don't cost. What was said was most things that have an upcharge are things DCL does not offer, such as a drink package. You can buy it or not but if DCL did offer it, you bet you would pay extra for it. Wifi? Yes, you pay on either DCL or RCL. Specialty dinning? Both have it and you pay extra. RCCL just offers more choice there. Many more options and you can purchase them or not, the same as you would on DCL.
BTW, I have priced out Virgin and it is more than even DCL so I would expect to get more. You pay for the 'free/included' stuff one way or the other. Can't talk about NCL as I haven't priced it but I'm sure it's not cheap either.
Just stop pretending that everything is nickel and diming when it's items that aren't offered on some other lines or just because it is included when the price is a premium.
The problem with RCL isn’t the comparison to DCL, it’s that things like the new CCL ships offer much more included food that is better (IMHO) than RCL. An apples to apple comparison is how Guy’s Burger’s on CCL is included (and Better) but the similar Johnny Rockets on RCL is $16 per person per visit.

I also agree that Princess Plus is a great value compared to other lines.

I also agree that Virgin is a step above all of these

The problem with RCL isn’t the comparison to DCL, it’s that things like the new CCL ships offer much more included food that is better (IMHO) than RCL. An apples to apple comparison is how Guy’s Burger’s on CCL is included (and Better) but the similar Johnny Rockets on RCL is $16 per person per visit.

I also agree that Virgin is a step above all of these

I love Guy's Burgers but RCL has a far larger buffet spread than Carnival (that's especially true of Carnival's smaller ships, which have minimal options) where you can make your own burger every day (or select a premade burger of the day). Johnny Rockets is using Johnny Rockets products, Guy's is using the same product that Carnival previously offered in its buffet (with Velveeta cheese).

Carnival's investing more in quick service options on its newer ships, almost unquestionably as a way to keep people out of the buffet and MDR (thus lowering overall food cost).

I love Guy's Burgers but RCL has a far larger buffet spread than Carnival (that's especially true of Carnival's smaller ships, which have minimal options) where you can make your own burger every day (or select a premade burger of the day). Johnny Rockets is using Johnny Rockets products, Guy's is using the same product that Carnival previously offered in its buffet (with Velveeta cheese).

Carnival's investing more in quick service options on its newer ships, almost unquestionably as a way to keep people out of the buffet and MDR (thus lowering overall food cost).
Maybe, but Carnival has so many of these options, you don’t really notice the buffet as much. On our last few RCL cruises, it seemed like if you weren’t crazy about Indian food, you were out of luck in the Windjammer.

And, FWIW, I found the burgers at Guy’s on Mardi Gras way better than the ones at JR’s on Independence OTS, but that was just my opinion…

Even though I’m not as enthralled with the Wish as the other 4 Disney ships, they made big strides with their deck food. It is fantastic.

Haven't been on Carnival, but I do appreciate their focus on quick service foods since that is probably what their base wants.

It does seem like Icon ot Seas is trying to provide more included quick serve options so that is a step in the right direction.

If someone was planning on getting a drink package anyway, it makes a lot of sense. It didn't for me - I barely made it through my OBC to be honest.

We have found the service on HAL to be absolutely top notch, and the food superior as well. Especially on the Pinnacle class ships. in addition to the MDR there is the lido, a pizza/sandwich joint, and a burger bar in the "included" tier and an asian+sushi, french bistro, italian, seafood, and steakhouse restaurants in an add-on tier (the steakhouse is a better return for lunch on sea days than dinner, in my opinion). The asian+sushi is the best dining experience on the ships that have it, both in food and service. We usually dine there several nights on a 9 or 10 night cruise. Both my wife and I have (slightly different) special needs and the staff has always remembered them between nights (my wife has a tremor making holding a martini glass hard- a highball is easier for her to manage). Her drunks always appear in a highball. They've also gone off-menu for me, recreating something that had been taken off the menu several months prior to our sailing, but a favorite of ours from previous trips.

Staff service has extended to our cabin and really across the ship.

I can't say much that is great about the ship's main stage performances. HAL spent a fortune in a really technologically sophisticated stage and underutilizes it.

There is, however. excellent music along Music Row. Three venues- a piano bar. a rock room, and a blues bar. Each has great performers. Depending on specific individuals. the tock room varies from absolute classic tock to a little punkier, but no mosh pits.

So, the phrase “nickel and diming” might better be described as “solicited to purchase upgrades” or presenting better food /drink/ activity options that you don’t want your spouse or children (or yourself) to pester you to buy?

What I do read here is that many of us do cruise with other companies - and not just a one- and run back to Disney.

I enjoy the reviews - by fans of Disney cruising - of other ships. Even if they say “but it’s not Disney” - so long as we hear the pros and cons. And what they like to do on a ship to see if it might appeal to me.

Last edited:
It's pretty common practice at most hotels in Hawaii, Mexico and the Caribbean. I don't stay at domestic (excluding Hawaii) beach hotels, so I don't know if it's common in Florida, etc. It was done at the Hyatt Huntington Beach a few years ago though.
I have never had to check in or check out pool/beach towels at any hotel, including during beach hotel stays on Hawaii and Puerto Rico. It certainly isn't a common practice for American travelers to have to deal with.

It amazes me the Disney faithful keep repeating "(other cruise lines nickel and dine you to death... Disney is more expensive for a reason." I keep asking: besides soda and room service, what is included on a Disney cruise that is not included on the competition? My comments keep getting ignored, probably for good reason ;). The upcharges on other cruise lines, have the same up charges on Disney -- or don't exist as an option.
I’ve sailed Royal, Princess and NCL and I agree with you. There are a lot more pay for options on other lines and they are more in your face, but other than soda or room service Disney either charges also (Palo/Remy) or doesn’t have that option.

I also spend less in the shops on other lines, because I love Disney but nothing on those lines appeal.

So, the phrase “nickel and diming” might better be described as “solicited to purchase upgrades” or presenting better food /drink/ activity options that you don’t want your spouse or children (or yourself) to pester you to buy?
But does DCL not do this? Palo/remy/enchante, BBB, pirate makeovers, bingo, internet, beverage seminars, royal tea/Olaf’s royal picnic, light up toys on pirate night, spa treatments, sand toys, bike or float rentals at castaway, etc. The list could go on an on. Every single line has things available for an up charge. DCL is not the all inclusive vacation people like to think it is when justifying its higher price. Can you go on a cruise and not spend a dime once onboard? Absolutely. But it be done on every single cruise line.

But does DCL not do this? Palo/remy/enchante, BBB, pirate makeovers, bingo, internet, beverage seminars, royal tea/Olaf’s royal picnic, light up toys on pirate night, spa treatments, sand toys, bike or float rentals at castaway, etc. The list could go on an on. Every single line has things available for an up charge. DCL is not the all inclusive vacation people like to think it is when justifying its higher price. Can you go on a cruise and not spend a dime once onboard? Absolutely. But it be done on every single cruise line.
Disney doesn't push it nearly as much as Royal or Carnival, in my experience. Yes they do have plenty of extras you can pay for, but on other crusielines it seems like they are constantly pushing ads around the ship and have crew members who do the same. Things like Palo, Remy, and BBB are typically full on Disney, so they don't need to do this. The example I always think of is MSC's line of upcharges as you board the ship:

I have never had to check in or check out pool/beach towels at any hotel, including during beach hotel stays on Hawaii and Puerto Rico. It certainly isn't a common practice for American travelers to have to deal with.
That’s not true. Hilton Hawaiian Village and Hilton Waikoloa Village, among many other properties, have been doing it for years. Typically it’s towel keys - you trade a key for a towel and get the key back when you return the towel. Other properties check you on and out like cruise ships.

That’s not true. Hilton Hawaiian Village and Hilton Waikoloa Village, among many other properties, have been doing it for years. Typically it’s towel keys - you trade a key for a towel and get the key back when you return the towel. Other properties check you on and out like cruise ships.
Yes, we had it at a Marriott on Maui and the Grand Hyatt in Kauai. Even Vero Beach DVC has a towel system. I think it’s not an issue if the staff to guest ratio is high enough. It never was an issue at those hotels. My mother in law was on a MSC cruise and complained that she regularly waited up to 10 minutes to exchange the towel. I can see that being an issue on crowded pool deck. She reported that on the Odyssey of the Seas the towel exchange worked very well though in comparison.

Disney doesn't push it nearly as much as Royal or Carnival, in my experience. Yes they do have plenty of extras you can pay for, but on other crusielines it seems like they are constantly pushing ads around the ship and have crew members who do the same. Things like Palo, Remy, and BBB are typically full on Disney, so they don't need to do this. The example I always think of is MSC's line of upcharges as you board the ship:
i went on RC in November and didn’t have a single person approach me about buying any extras and I did not see any advertising other than a piece of paper skipped under my door mentioning if I book a future cruise while onboard I would get a discount and $600 in on board credit. I’m sorry you’ve had such different experiences.

Disney doesn't push it nearly as much as Royal or Carnival, in my experience. Yes they do have plenty of extras you can pay for, but on other crusielines it seems like they are constantly pushing ads around the ship and have crew members who do the same. Things like Palo, Remy, and BBB are typically full on Disney, so they don't need to do this.
This video was more or less along the lines of what I was saying earlier about how it's more about how the upcharges are presented/promoted versus the fact that there are upcharges. That MSC video makes me feel like I'm in a port walking past the excursion hawkers.

i went on RC in November and didn’t have a single person approach me about buying any extras and I did not see any advertising other than a piece of paper skipped under my door mentioning if I book a future cruise while onboard I would get a discount and $600 in on board credit. I’m sorry you’ve had such different experiences.
I've not had many people approach me on Royal but I do see them quite a bit the during first two days. For me it's easy to filter all of that out and/or avoid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter