Line etiquette

Kontos

Mouseketeer
Just curious about this since I'm not exactly in the know about the etiquette at Disneyland. But when I was there in May a lot of times I'd be getting near the front of the line only for a group to come and join the 1 person in front of me. I didn't really care if it was 1 or 2 people but there was a time when I rolled my eyes when 12 yes people ducked under the ropes to join their party...forcing the rest of the line to get all bunched up to accommodate. Is this a no-no or is it acceptable? I know I always had my nephews in line with me for rides but if they can run around and join me when we're nearing the front I may do that next time.

i agree that it is very rude. I can handle one or two but when 12 people show up it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Last edited:
1 toddler - okay.
More than one child, or older children - not okay.
Adults - definitely rude.

12 people?! I'd be saying/thinking something like, 'are you kidding me?' and looking at the nearest CM hoping they'll intervene.

A dozen people is inexcusable. I can't think of a good reason why all of them had to join the line at the last minute. Definitely worth alerting a CM. But, to be fair, it isn't always rude when an adult or older child joins someone else near the front of the line. Not all disabilities or special needs are visible and often enough Murphy's Law strikes while in line and things need to be dealt with pronto.

Seemed to us there was a great deal more of this at DLR than we ever see at WDW. People there seem to accept it as normal - never heard one complaint.

The only time a CM stopped it was when a woman who was in front of us and actually in the car at TSMM asked for them to hold the car until her husband could make his way in line. The CM asked where he was and she pointed to a guy who was at the very end, pushing his way through. The CM said Uhhhh....No.

It does seem to be sop there to grab a spot in line and let your party catch up with you though.

It happens fairly frequently, but usually only one or two people which I don't mind. If it is a ride where they are taking up an extra car, then I'd say it is rude. If one person is going on Snow White and they are joined by a couple more in their party, they use the same amount of space on the ride and it doesn't slow me down at all.

I had one woman tell me in line for Peter Pan that she had 6 people who were going to join her in line. I was okay with it because she told me and I knew what to expect.

It is rude but nothing to make a big deal about. Better to just enjoy the day and not get involved.
Now if you've been saving a parade spot for two hours and a group tries to squeeze in 10 minutes before showtime... Then you should speak up

It is rude but nothing to make a big deal about. Better to just enjoy the day and not get involved.
Now if you've been saving a parade spot for two hours and a group tries to squeeze in 10 minutes before showtime... Then you should speak up

A big difference we did notice is people there seem to respect your space when you camp out for a spot- which they do more than WDW by far. After seeing every decent spot taken 2 hrs before PTN, we camped out for 3 hrs the next evening- had a curb spot and took turns holding it. We never had anyone try and move in on us. It got crowded, but no one tried to push in from the front like they always do at WDW. Don't know if this is the norm, or we just lucked out, but it was a pleasant surprise.

A parent with a child is fine, I don't care. But there's no way I would allow a group to just jump in front. To the person who said it's better to just enjoy the day and not get involved, I respectfully disagree. It's that type of thinking that makes these kids/adults feel like it's completely acceptable to just jump in front of everyone. I would have to say something.

It's plain rude and I wish they would have CMs watching so guests don't need to try to enforce the rules. A parent with a small child doesn't bother me, but a group? That's just incredibly inconsiderate.

To the person who said it's better to just enjoy the day and not get involved, I respectfully disagree. It's that type of thinking that makes these kids/adults feel like it's completely acceptable to just jump in front of everyone. I would have to say something.

I'd be seriously irritated by a party of 12 line jumping as well, but I'm not willing to risk a major confrontation over it. Who knows how it could escalate?

In my eyes, it's Disney's job to police these situations, not the guests, and unfortunately it seems the CMs have either been instructed to look the other way, or simply don't get involved because upper management won't back them up if the line-jumpers raise a huge stink.

While it's not nearly as satisfying, a letter or email to Disney is my go-to.

A parent with a child is fine, I don't care. But there's no way I would allow a group to just jump in front. To the person who said it's better to just enjoy the day and not get involved, I respectfully disagree. It's that type of thinking that makes these kids/adults feel like it's completely acceptable to just jump in front of everyone. I would have to say something.

I would never confront another guest. If it's bad enough to say something to them, then I'd take it to a CM. People are crazy these days. As it is, the time it cost us when people acted like this was negligible and not worth putting myself in a bad mood over or worse. It's Disney's job to police this, not mine.

While waiting for the parade, we had collected a tray full of trash from eating and had let a few strangers around us add to it. My sil went to take it to the nearest trash can- that was full. He asked the CM what to do and they said, just leave it on top, we'll get it after the parade. He did and came back to our spot. Next thing you know, some jerk walked up to him yelling at him for leaving trash on top of the can- he liked to lean on them when watching the parade. I told him to leave or I'd call a CM over. He decided leaving was best. He was out of line, but we were not about to get in a shouting match with him.

Ya I'm normally fine if its 1 or 2 people joining especially if they're young/old. The 12 people joining did leave a sour taste in my mouth since it was for Peter Pan and I had already waited about 40 mins

There seems to be a thread on this in the WDW side of DISboards almost weekly, rarely is there any agreement. If you ask a dozen different people what the proper etiquette is, you'll get a dozen different answers. Everyone comes from countries, different regions/cities with the US, different school rules, different home rules and they assume those rules are universal and set in stone.

CM are in the hsoptiality industry and confrontation is counter to service, plus they never know why someone might be rejoining a line.

That said..12 joining 1 is almost indefensible (though is almost an established norm at Disneyland Paris, but many European countries aren't used to queues).

Didn't we learn this stuff in kindergarten?
Unfortunate , While I find line cutting abhorrent (and yes, I call people out on it) it is actually promoted or at least allowed by Disney. Basically, your allowed to cut in order to "join your group". A practice that is sorely abused.

I personally have done it when I've had to use the restroom or take one of my kids to use it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter