Limits on Length of Lenses at Disney

KCmike

Never have fallen asleep on any
Has anyone had any issues with bringing a telephoto lens like the 70-200mm f/2.8 inside Disneyland/Disneyworld?

I have brought in a 70-200 f2.8 every time I go to WDW with no problems.

Are you planning another trip, Mike? Maybe putting plans together for the 60th at DLR?

Have you tried that lens? It does produce some amazing images. I rented one when the boys graduated high school.

It's a lot of lens to carry around though. Have you considered the f/4 version? I went with that one when I had to get a new zoom because of the switch to full frame. The weight difference is pretty remarkable. And it produces beautiful images.

When I was considering the alternatives, I went into Overland Photo Supply (8701 Metcalf) and they were great about letting me handle and try out a variety of lenses.

I will probably pass on renting the 2.8 lens when Robbie graduates college in May. I think I'll go with the f/4.

Can't believe it but we're finally thinking of the great American roadtrip. Kids all now have jobs and while I always talk like this might be the end of the family vacations I'm really seeing it develop for the first time. If I can get them to go with me this time I will be one happy Father.

So far here is the first itinerary....
KC to Lake Tahoe to Yosemite to Big Sur (possible camping time), to Disneyland and then back home. One big loop.

I've always wanted to rent a telephoto and wasn't sure if I would get stopped at the gates of DL or not.

Has anyone had any issues with bringing a telephoto lens like the 70-200mm f/2.8 inside Disneyland/Disneyworld?
  • Kinda awkward on the roller coaster....
  • be careful not to smack the guy sitting in front of you at shows.
Love the lens!

Can't believe it but we're finally thinking of the great American roadtrip. Kids all now have jobs and while I always talk like this might be the end of the family vacations I'm really seeing it develop for the first time. If I can get them to go with me this time I will be one happy Father.

So far here is the first itinerary....
KC to Lake Tahoe to Yosemite to Big Sur (possible camping time), to Disneyland and then back home. One big loop.

I've always wanted to rent a telephoto and wasn't sure if I would get stopped at the gates of DL or not.

Ahhh..... I can see why you'd be tempted to give this lens a try. I still urge you to get it into your hands though before making your final decision. You won't have trouble with bringing it into DL though. Trip before last I brought my Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 OS which is very close in size/weight and had no issues at all.

When you say "road trip" does that mean you would fly into Tahoe and drive from there?

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you are able to put this all together. It would make for some amazing memories. And photos! :)

Ahhh..... I can see why you'd be tempted to give this lens a try. I still urge you to get it into your hands though before making your final decision. You won't have trouble with bringing it into DL though. Trip before last I brought my Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 OS which is very close in size/weight and had no issues at all.

When you say "road trip" does that mean you would fly into Tahoe and drive from there?

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you are able to put this all together. It would make for some amazing memories. And photos! :)

Nope. No Flying. Drive, drive, drive.

I regularly take the 70-200 f/2.8 into Disneyworld and have never had a problem. I usually keep it in the camera backpack when going through security. They have never had a problem getting through security or shooting with it in the parks. Awesome lens by the way.

I regularly take the 70-200 f/2.8 into Disneyworld and have never had a problem. I usually keep it in the camera backpack when going through security. They have never had a problem getting through security or shooting with it in the parks. Awesome lens by the way.

Yep. Me too. Never had anybody from Disney say a word aside from the occasional, "Nice lens/camera."

I have taken everything from an 18-55 (my smallest) to a 100-300 f4 (currently my biggest), including the 70-200 f2.8 with no issues.

No problems with a 70-200 on either coast. I'm taking mine to the 60th at DLR in July. We will be on a Backstage Magic trip so it should yield some amazing pictures.

I want to drive. I really do. But I don't know if I can spend 25 hours in a car to get to CA. It would take three days to get to CA and 2+hotel nights each way. I wouldn't have a problem flying if it weren't for those outrageous prices on car rentals. Those prices are just ridiculous and I can't seem to find a good deal anywhere.

I just keep debating DRIVE vs. Fly

I want to drive. I really do. But I don't know if I can spend 25 hours in a car to get to CA. It would take three days to get to CA and 2+hotel nights each way. I wouldn't have a problem flying if it weren't for those outrageous prices on car rentals. Those prices are just ridiculous and I can't seem to find a good deal anywhere.

I just keep debating DRIVE vs. Fly

Yeah, I totally get that. It's an even harder choice right now with gas costing less. I will say that we didn't mind the drive because of everything we saw along the way out west. But the things we wanted to see were in the desert southwest, so we started getting payoff on our second day. You seem to be covering more ground, so not sure if your payoff would come as early in the trip. Honestly, that's part of why we haven't made the northern CA trek yet.

No issues here at WDW with 70-200mm F4, 300mm F4, 200-500mm, and most recently with my Tamron 150-600mm!

Also never any issues with any photo equipment, be it tripod or lens, at WDW or DL, although I haven't been to DL in over seven years. (Weep weep!)

This includes my 40-50-year-old preset 18-blade Takumar 300mm F4 which is enormous! That only comes out for AK and even then rarely!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter