• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lightroom without subscription?

mom2rtk

Invented the term "Characterpalooza"
So I'm thinking of getting a new camera. But today it dawned on me that my Lightroom 5 likely won't support anything new that I get.

Are there any workarounds? I really love Lightroom but I don't use it enough to support the cost of a subscription.

Do I have to stick with an older model camera because of this?

Consider the Affinity series of products. Currently half price.
I'm not familiar with the series. Is it similar to Lightroom? I've just been so happy with Lightroom that I'm going to have a hard time giving it up. But dang I don't want to pay what they want. If I had signed up when I got my LR5, it would have cost me more than $700 by now. And I'm sure I bought it for less than $100.

Lightroom will support any DNG files won’t it? I’m pretty sure you just import your files at .dng raws instead. I have to do that when a friend and I swap files sometimes.

I'm not familiar with the series. Is it similar to Lightroom?
Actually, I'm not familiar with Lightroom so I can't answer that question. But they offer a free trial so you can see for yourself.

Lightroom will support any DNG files won’t it? I’m pretty sure you just import your files at .dng raws instead. I have to do that when a friend and I swap files sometimes.
I guess this is what I'm trying to figure out. I googled around and saw some comment that there was a way to convert to .dng when importing, but that you needed version 6.14. I have version 5, so have been nosing around. So far haven't found one around any more. And I wonder why it would work with 6.14 but not with 5.

I'd love to hear if anyone here has done this.

I’m in the parks this week but I have lr 4 and I can import as .dng. I just can’t give you a tutorial at the moment—sorry!

I’m in the parks this week but I have lr 4 and I can import as .dng. I just can’t give you a tutorial at the moment—sorry!
Have a great time and don't spend your time on this right now. But I would LOVE to hear more about it when you get back! I'd love to know what camera you are using.

Have a great time and don't spend your time on this right now. But I would LOVE to hear more about it when you get back! I'd love to know what camera you are using.

Finishing lunch right now lol

Im totally going to forget but seriously remind me like Monday!

I’m still using LR6. I was using a Pentax KP which records raw in the DNG format. I don’t believe other manufacturers use DNG, but you can always convert the raw to DNG using a converting program. For my Fuji files, I have Captire One for Fujifilm. Capture One is excellent, but it’s much different than LR.

I guess this is what I'm trying to figure out. I googled around and saw some comment that there was a way to convert to .dng when importing, but that you needed version 6.14. I have version 5, so have been nosing around. So far haven't found one around any more. And I wonder why it would work with 6.14 but not with 5.

I use Adobe DNG with an older version of Photoshop and it's worked on every camera so far -- now using a Canon R5 ... :D

I've run into this before. The important version isn't your LR version so much, as it is your ACR version - but with LR5, you're up a creek for the most part, you can't get that far out of sync. With that age of software, your only options to keep Lightroom are to either 1) update it, which means going subscription, or 2) put another workflow step in front of it, at least to get it all native. I ended up with #1, and I'm pretty meh on the updates, overall.

However, if you upgrade to a DSLR, LR5 does know what to do with it, though you'll need to heavily adjust the colors and create an import profile for your camera. The thing is, the raw files themselves don't change much between generations, but the color information captured by the sensor does change substantially. When it comes to the new RAW format used by new mirrorless cameras, LR5 doesn't have any hope with it.

Also, have you looked into Canon's Digital Photo Professional software, the free download? Even if you just use it to bulk process into TIF.

Oh, and of course, if you get a higher end body for your next camera, you can solve the problem by shooting 16-bit TIFF instead of CR2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter