• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lifeguards at snorkeling area?

PRINCESS VIJA

Viva Latvia!
My DS wants to go snorkeling when we go on our cruise. We are planning to do this on CC. I was wondering if they have lifeguards? Does the vest that they need to wear inflate enough that it would keep him up if he got too tired and needed a rest?

I worried about that for my 9 year old twins - have no fears
yes, they have life guards sitting on platforms at several points in the routes.

yes, the vest will provide a bit of flotation (comes uninflated - just blow a bit on the tube before they go in the water)

the vest and the fins gave my kids the stamina to snorkle for hours (they can swim but we are in Indiana so their experience is limited)

the $10 rental for the equipment was the best money spent (besides the tip at Palos) - my kids still talk about what they saw....can't rave about the snorkling course enough (BTW - I was drinking Konk coolers from the shore)
Barb

don't forget to buy them a water camera-made by fugi or kodak-bu t buy it before you go much cheaper at walmart and target.

thanks for the info. Originally DH and DS were going to do this, but I think I may join them. BUT, do the vests come in Plus sizes? Thanks!

The vests just slip over you head, one size fits all! I am a size 16:eek: and didn't have a problem. I don't even think I tied mine, you don't even need to inflate them if you don't want to. I think they make you wear them so the lifeguards can see everyone snorkeling. :)

They are plenty big - no problems there

Is the childs rental rate only $10. I thought for us it was somewhere around $28 per person:confused:

There are lifeguards covering all of the swimming / snorkeling activities on the family beach. They do a great job of keeping everyone safe. :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

What is included in the rental fee? and how much is it for adults and kids? I was advised on this board to buy some and bring them with to save the fees. I got mask and snorkle for about $11.00 which I thought we could use both at the Bahamas and Castaway Cay. If the kids don't have the vest will they be allowed to snorkle? I have 6 kids and some of these expenses add up fast. Also do we really need the fins? Anyone with info please? I really don't want to have to drag any more than necessary with, but will if it will save me a bundle of money. Thanks so much...Melissa

If I remember correctly, the vests are free. I'm sure I just went to the hut and asked for vests. The rental fee is for fins, mask and snorkel. That should help you! Everyone has to wear a vest to snorkel. I'm not sure about the fins, are they strong swimmers? The snorkel trail goes out pretty far, my 10 yr olds got pretty tired and you cannot have any floats in the snorkeling area.

Disney6,
Thank you for the information. Yes they are storng swimmers, but one daughter will be 9 and not sure how tired she would get. I only have one kid who would pay childs fee.....and $25 a person is kinda steep if you ask me.

I noticed you said 10 yr olds...do you have twins? My twin boys are 11 and as different as night and day.

Did you use fins? Anyone else not use fins to snorkle?

I am assuming they can get out and rest too right? it said all day. You don't have to rent equipment to be able to snorkle do you?

Does anyone know if you can rent only fins? They are too big to be bringing with.

You definitely don't have to rent equipment on CC in order to snorkel - my DH and I brought our own masks and snorkels from home, and then borrowed the vests (uninflated) and rented fins on the island.

Yes, fins can be rented for $9/pair. I would recommend them, because it makes swimming around much easier. It's not a short swim out to the far reaches of the snorkeling area, and as someone who's not in the best of shape, I was happy to have the fins.

I can also vouch for the vests fitting everyone - if they can fit me, I'm sure they'll fit you!

April

HLFDZN,
yes my twins are also so different it is hard to believe they are brothers, forget twins.
The cost for kids is low and yes, over 12 (I think) was high (I also have a teenaged daughter) but in relation to all the other money I spent (smoothies etc) I thought it was a great value! The rental was for the delay and they did snorkle for a while, climb on the wooden thing then go back to snorkling

Also, by mid-afternoon there will be gear and floats abandoned everywhere (clearly without owners). I only rented two floats for the 4 of us and that worked out great - everyone didn't do the same thing at the same time

Barb

Well, Favorite Auntie, I won't tell you what size I am A real lady never tells her size or her age;) Just kidding! I had no problem with the vest as I was passed over by the Good Lord for upper body flotation devices;) But my husband and I bought our own at Costco, and we love it. It has already paid for itself in 1 cruise!

HLFDZN, No we were NOT blessed with twins (as much as we both wanted them, that's probably why!;) ). We took my DS's best friend with us and we have 3 daughters also. He was one of "my kids" on the trip (and actually here at home also!) My DH's Dad is a twin and they are quite different and my sisters are twins and they are totally opposite! If we would have started the kid making thing earlier (I was 32 with our first) we would have had 6 kids - you are very blessed!) As it is we did have 5 in 7 years (oldest daughter passed away) and my body was tired!

I am very sorry to hear your oldest daughter passed away. That must have been horrible for you.

Congrats on going on another cruise!!! I have a suspicion that we may book another while onboard. I know the magic takes you far from reality at the aprks and I am sure it is the same way on the cruise. It may be one just for hubby and I though for our 20th anniversary.

When my kids were little, I never envisioned life with teenagers LOL. There are days when hubby and I ask "what were we thinking?" Quiet does not describe our household.

Have a blast on your next cruise and thanks so much for all the helpful info. Melissa

Another vote for fins.

As others have said it is quite a ways out. Didn't seem so far going out to the snorkle area. And we didn't realise while we were out there how much further out that we went, But swimming back to shore after snorkling for 2 hrs seemed like it took forever. The fins was a huge help.

We bought our own dry snorkle kits from sams club. Body Glove brand they were great. Included snorkle, mask, fins, and a back pack like carrier. We got vest for free from the life guard on shore. Next time I will take a antiseptic wipe to clean vest before having to blow air in them. Didn't know it was that kind of vest till we got there.

We paid around $48 for the dry snorkle kits at sams club in June of this year. Was back there last week and sams had them for $36.

We figure one more time of using them and they will pay for themselves vs renting 2 times. And we know that they were clean.

Originally posted by S. C.
Another vote for fins.

As others have said it is quite a ways out. Didn't seem so far going out to the snorkle area. And we didn't realise while we were out there how much further out that we went, But swimming back to shore after snorkling for 2 hrs seemed like it took forever. The fins was a huge help.

We bought our own dry snorkle kits from sams club. Body Glove brand they were great. Included snorkle, mask, fins, and a back pack like carrier. We got vest for free from the life guard on shore. Next time I will take a antiseptic wipe to clean vest before having to blow air in them. Didn't know it was that kind of vest till we got there.

We paid around $48 for the dry snorkle kits at sams club in June of this year. Was back there last week and sams had them for $36.

We figure one more time of using them and they will pay for themselves vs renting 2 times. And we know that they were clean.

I'm so glad you posted this. I just checked sam's site and found several kits that may work for DS and I. (we've never snorkled) Here's the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.samsclub.com/eclub/main_...goodfkg.0&ftv=&search_string=snorkel&x=14&y=9

Wow - funny how what works great for one family is not for us.
First, I have boys that shock me with dirt and what they eat, etc - so the cleanliness issue didn't faze me - they shared their equipment with friends they met on the boat and well, I didn't even think twice about germs

Also, I though about buying the sets but we live in Indiana (used to live in RI where the beach was at the end of our street, but, alas, we are hoosiers now) and so the thought of storing the sets until we fund a new cruise just wasn't worth it.
Barbara

Kmart had the mask and snorkle marked down from $25.00 to $11.00 with an extra 10% off last week. These look like pretty nice ones for beginners and I got enough for 5 of the kids. This is yet another Christmas present ( in addition to the airline tickets) I plan on going to Sport Mart this week, they are advertising 20%-50% off on all that stuff now. I know my guys like to use it at the pool all summer and have been wanting a set for a while.
Thanks for all the information!!! This helps me out a lot. Melissa

Disneyjunkie

That was also our first time ever of snorkeling but it will not be our last, we all loved it. Myself, DH, & GS,10yrs.

It only took a minute to get used to it.

We took kodak underwater cameras and was suprised by how well the pics turned out.

Hope you have a great time.

For those interested, I wanted to pass on a "tip"... After reading on another post about underwater cameras, I found one at Target that someone recommended. It is waterproof, and is only $20...the great thing is that it is NOT disposable! You can reload it with any film, any time! So, for the price of 2 disposable cameras, you can have one forever! (hopefully! ;) )

I took it to my dd's swimming lessons last week, and am anxiously awaiting the photos! It was very easy to use.

Hope this helps someone! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter