Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

You spell your name the... normal way, if you will. I will always assume an H at the end if you tell me your name is Sarah. I think this Starbucks person was just messing with you. I have decided that no matter what your name is, no matter how common, someone is bound to mess it up. My name for instance? When I say Jenna, people hear Janet. I guess if I went by my given name Jennifer I wouldn't have much of an issue maybe. And my husband Brad always gets Brett. Maybe we just talk funny? LOL. So when we were deciding what to name our daughter, we KNEW people were gonna hear her name 1000 different ways, but when you see it, you can usually pronounce it correctly. It's just part of life.

ANYWAY, that was way longer than it needed to be.

I've noticed that unless they ask me about the h, I almost always get Sara. Which is fine. Sometimes I get something else, which is usually loud Starbucks hearing error, but occasionally is barista being not so nice.

I have a friend who gives them her last name because her first name is hard to spell and her last name sounds like a first name.

But yeah ... every name gets messed up occasionally. It's just the circle of Starbucks life.

oh the starbucks name thing. I get Joy and Judy a lot. One time I even got July which was weird as it sounds nothing like Julie. When we lived in London my husband always had his name spelled wrong and its Peter. Not exactly difficult. We get a good laugh over it.

End of week update:

Over the next seven days, I need to do the following things (in no particular order):
  • Figure out how I want to keep track of this training plan (trying to find a simpler way than what in currnetly doing)
  • Post a marathon weekend related update (it's in progress)
  • Figure out a cross training plan. Near my office, I have orangetheory (first class free), flywheel (I think first class $15), several gyms (and I have a 3 day guest pass to one of them courtesy of my coworker), soulcycle, cyc (another cycling thing), and probably more. So I have to figure out what I want to try and how to fit it into my schedule without hurting my running.
  • Buy insoles for my new shoes. Not sure if I'm going to run up to my regular running store after work one day or if I'll just grab them at the jackrabbit closer to the office.
So ... that's what I have going on.

Last edited:
Hey look, an update!

Marathon Weekend: First Thoughts

Now that my trip to marathon weekend is officially booked, I wanted to share some thoughts/plans/whatever. This is very incomplete and in no particular order.

Why?
I honestly don’t know when or why I made the decision to run a marathon. I just turned around one day and I was thinking about my marathon schedule.

For the longest time I refused to entertain the idea of running a marathon. Part of it was that 26.2 is a lot of miles. Part of it was the idea of running for 6 hours even without the character stops (this was before I realized that I might be capable of something closer to 5 hours … still a lot of hours, though). Part of it was just lack of interest in running a marathon.

The first time I remember considering running a marathon was when runDisney released the medal for the 2018 WDW Marathon. I loved that medal. I wanted that medal. I knew I wouldn’t be properly trained, but I still thought about it. But at the time I was planning to apply for my school’s teaching fellowship, which would start the day after the race, and I didn’t want to put myself on such a tight schedule. (Also … I wasn’t exactly swimming in the cash back then)

tenor.gif

I honestly have no idea what happened from there. One day I was excited about a shiny medal, and then all of the sudden I’m trying to figure out how to do my 9+1 guaranteed entry for the NYC marathon. And if I’m running NYC, then of course I have to run Disney first … I can’t not have Disney be my first marathon. runDisney is the reason why I kept running after several false starts, it’s where I ran my first 5K and 10K, and it will always be my #1 race choice if it all possible.

I really wish I knew why I was running a marathon, but I don’t … it’s just something I want to do.

Which Races?
I'm currently (through a travel agent) registered for 5K, 10K, and Marathon.

5K – My first runDisney race was a 5K (as was my second one, actually) and I really love these races. To me, the 5K is a low-pressure character fest … I spend a lot of time waiting in lines, but it’s fun, and I’m certainly not doing it for time, so I’m cool running or walking or whatever I feel like doing at any point.
GOAL: All the characters and Sub-1:00. Since I do have one sub-10:00 min/mile 5K, and in light of some recent runs, I’m totally cool putting down 9:00-10:00 as my pace, so hopefully I’ll be in an early enough corral to have slightly shorter character lines and finally finish in under an hour (this has been my goal for every single runDisney 5K … hasn’t happened yet).

10K – I ran the marathon weekend 10K in 2016. It rained. Pretty hard. I did not have the best experience, and I knew about halfway through that race that I needed a do-over. It may have taken a few years, but I’m hoping that 2019 is my year.
GOAL: No rain.

Marathon – See above. I have no idea why I’m running this thing.
GOAL: 6:59:59. I want to get in below the 7 hour time limit, but also get as many pictures and experiences as I can. I’m also thinking about 2 character stops per hour, but that might depend on my pace and the lines.

Sub-Question: Why not Dopey? A) I’m not crazy. B) I don’t do Saturday races (it’s my Sabbath and I don’t run and/or use any sort of electronics/take buses to start lines), so I couldn’t do the half anyway.

What Costumes?
5K – No idea. Possibly my Raw Threads Mermaid shirt?

10K – Again, no idea.

Marathon – Minnie Mouse! I already have (most of) the outfit planned out in my head.

Top:
This is where I have some options.

Option 1:
Running Skirts Red Dot Strappy Tank Bra with a black shirt underneath (or jacket on top).
stk-red_dot_1024x1024@2x.jpg

This one matches the skirt (see below) perfectly, but things with built-in bras tend to not work for me.

Option 2:

Raw Threads Red Polka Dot Bow Hoodie
Polka_Dot_Bow24_1024x1024.jpg

This shirt also comes in a variety of other styles, so I could buy something else if it’s not hoodie weather. Since I’m used to running in Raw Threads (I just ran my January half in a RT hoodie), I’m okay with ordering a Raw Threads top at the last minute and not having time to “test” it as part of my costume, so I can make a decision on what style to get as we get closer to the race (and may have some idea about the weather).

The downside of this is that I don’t know how well it will match the skirt (I’m fairly certain that the polka dots are different sizes).

Option 3:
Plain black shirt. Probably the one I bought to use as a throwaway layer (and never threw away) for the NYC Half.

Option 4:
2016 Walt Disney World 10K Shirt
s-l300.jpg

NOTE: This is not my picture, I found it on the internet. My shirt is in a drawer and I’m too lazy to take it out and take a picture.

This is a cute idea because it matches and it’s from a Minnie Mouse race, but I really hate wearing a different race’s shirt at a race (even if they’re both runDisney). We’ve discussed this before. It’s just a Sarah thing.

Now that we have the top options out of the way, I already bought the skirt:
Running Skirts Red Dot Golf Skirt

as-minidot_1_1024x1024@2x.jpg

I have several Running Skirts golf skirts and a love them. They’re a great length for me, very comfortable, and I always get comments on them because they’re cute!

Depending on the weather, I will wear either leggings or capris (black) underneath.

Shoes will probably be whatever I’m wearing at that time. If I can get my hands on yellow shoes, I will (which most likely means a different shoe, because my current ones don’t come in yellow), but if not, that means shoe accessories.

My first thought is Sparkle Athletic Red and White Polka Dot Bow Schwings:

red-with-white-polka-dot-bow-shwings.jpg

However, as cute as those are … I may try to go for something yellow instead. Especially because my current shoes are pink, and if I'm still wearing those around marathon time (historically I've gotten a year out of shoes, but marathon training may change that), I don't want to wear red bows on my pink shoes. No.
The shoe situation is something I'll figure out closer to race day.

I may also try to find a red polka dot headband of some sort, but I’m not sure about that. Again ... things I'll figure out closer to race day.

I'm also starting to think about park and dining plans, but I want to wait until park hours are released before I start really going deep into that.
Do they still do the PDF travel agent hours 7 months ahead of time? Is that still a thing? It's been so long since my last trip that I have no idea when to even start looking for park hours...
I'm also having a really hard time coming to terms with the fact that even though this is a long trip, I'm not going to be able to do all the things. I need to remember that DATW is my Epcot day (I'll do future world in the morning before DATW), and I only need a few hours for AK, so all that matters is getting as close as I can to full days at MK and HS (yes, I will need a full day at HS ... I always do, plus there will be Toy Story Land).

Anyway ... that's the update. It feels very disjointed. More updates when I start to figure out more stuff.

Thinking about costumes for marathon weekend and I don't even know what I am doing yet for wine and dine.

Parks hours do come out about 7 months ahead of time but they change so frequently these days.

Only a few hours for AK? My heart sank a little...

Thinking about costumes for marathon weekend and I don't even know what I am doing yet for wine and dine.

Well, I like to think about things like this in advance. Plus, this all kind of came out of the skirt being on sale a few months ago ... so that's how that costume happened. I still have to think of the other two.

Parks hours do come out about 7 months ahead of time but they change so frequently these days.

Grr ... hours changing. I'd at least like to have some idea of the hours, and then I'll deal with the changes when they happen. I guess I just have to wait a month or so.

That's pretty much how I feel when people say that Hollywood Studios is a half day park.
Ideally I'd like most of a day at AK, but if I don't know if I'll have the time, so right now the plan is to set aside a few hours to hit Pandora and maybe Kilimanjaro Safaris, and then go back if I have time and do more.

LOVE the dots! How do you do AK in a few hours?! HS I agree, I could spend the whole day there.

Thanks!
I'm really not planning to do much at AK, mostly just Pandora, which should only take me a few hours. But we'll see what decisions I make once I see some possible park hours.

That's pretty much how I feel when people say that Hollywood Studios is a half day park.
Ideally I'd like most of a day at AK, but if I don't know if I'll have the time, so right now the plan is to set aside a few hours to hit Pandora and maybe Kilimanjaro Safaris, and then go back if I have time and do more.
As you know AK is my favorite park so I could spend 1.5-2 days there. I don’t really consider any of the parks half day parks and when toy story opens DHS surely won’t be a half day park.

As you know AK is my favorite park so I could spend 1.5-2 days there. I don’t really consider any of the parks half day parks and when toy story opens DHS surely won’t be a half day park.

Yeah, I think there are quite a few people who could spend more than a day at AK. I am not one of them. I have yet to spend a full day there.
But I know that AK really isn't a half day park ... I just spend half a day there and end up missing out on a lot of it. When I take up permanent residence in Cinderella Castle I'll spend more time at AK. Until then ... it's my least favorite park, so it's the one where I tend to spend the least amount of time.

So much planning already! I love it!! I have zero game plan as of right now. I think because it doesn't feel real to me yet since they pushed back registration. :headache:

That RT long sleeved top is SO cute!

I will only go to AK to ride EE and then leave. Least favorite park on the planet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter