• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Congrats again on a great race! I hate hills... that definitely would have killed me!
Great outfit choice with the blue and white!

Also your Starbucks story made me giggle a little- I think we've all been there! :) Thanks for the report on the blonde espresso- I'm interested, but still not in a hurry to try it.

Loved the recap! I was wondering about your slightly cryptic message about the second Starbucks - cracked up when I read why! I’m guessing you might have also made the most of the drink stations during the run?

Yeah, I definitely made good use of the water stations during the race. Plus I carry a water bottle with me. Lots of water.

Anyway glad you achieved your goals for this one, even with the hills!

Congrats again on a great race! I hate hills... that definitely would have killed me!

Thank you again! Yeah, those hills were not fun. Too many hills. Whoever designed Central Park clearly hated runners.

Great outfit choice with the blue and white!

Thank you!

Also your Starbucks story made me giggle a little- I think we've all been there! :) Thanks for the report on the blonde espresso- I'm interested, but still not in a hurry to try it.

That Starbucks story is basically a summary of my life.
And I think the blonde espresso is worth a try, I just don't know that I'd go out of my way to get it again.

Hey, we have all been there. And bonus: you got a second Starbucks out of it, so overall I'd say it's a win. ::yes::

Great job on your race!! :yay:

I think it's hilarious that you didn't want to take your Starbucks #1 cup into Starbucks #2. I would only feel weird if it was coffee from another brand.

You did amazing on that hilly course! Hills are terrible and to have 16 of them?! WOOF. Love your picture with Fred Lebow! (How do you properly pronounce it?!)

I think it's hilarious that you didn't want to take your Starbucks #1 cup into Starbucks #2. I would only feel weird if it was coffee from another brand.

Yeah, that was definitely a little weird of me...

You did amazing on that hilly course! Hills are terrible and to have 16 of them?! WOOF. Love your picture with Fred Lebow! (How do you properly pronounce it?!)

Thank you! Some of the hills were small, but ... yeah, it was not fun. (The worst one we only did twice - some of the other ones we did three times.

I'm really bad at pronunciation spelling stuff, but I think it's kind of like "Li-bow." That's probably entirely the wrong way to put it. This video pronounces it properly (about 0:30 seconds into the video)

16 HILLS??!!! You are a pain goddess!

If I never see another hill again, I'll be very happy.

So ... it's Tuesday morning. 2 days after the race. I just got off the treadmill.
I know, that's super soon. But I hate long recovery periods, and I took it super easy (which was definitely the advantage of being on the treadmill - I could force myself to go slower by just keeping the treadmill at a lower speed. That and I didn't get rained on). 2.19 miles, 13:42 average pace. Longest run interval was 3 minutes.
At first it hurt a little, but once I got going ... it felt good to be moving. Definitely glad I forced myself out of bed (I really didn't want to...) and did it.

United Airlines NYC Half training update will be coming at some point over the next week or so. I just have to find the time to sit down and write it.

Not An Update (A Request)

Last night I sat down to start writing my first United Airlines NYC Half training update. As I was writing out the thought process behind the plan, I realized ... I'm not 100% sold on my plan. Thinking over the plans I've made for my previous three halfs and how I felt at each of those races, I'm not convinced that the plan I originally made for this half was the best one.

I decided that it would be interesting to look at plans that other people have used and see if that makes the plan making process any easier.
So ... if you've training for a half and feel comfortable sharing some of your training plan information, I'd appreciate answers to some or all of the following questions:
  1. What was your longest long run?
  2. What was your peak mileage week? (How many miles and how long before the race)
  3. How many weeks total was your plan?
  4. What was the total mileage of your plan?
  5. What was the total mileage of the last 7 weeks of your plan? (because I have 7 weeks until my race ... so my training plan would be a max of 7 weeks ... I'm trying to see what mileage normal people run in 7 weeks)
  6. Do you feel that the plan adequately prepared you for your race?

Although I kinda feel like for many people the answer to a lot of these will be "I did whatever Coach DB told me to do." (And yes, that is actually something I'm thinking about ... although the race is not that far away, so I'm not convinced that going that far away from what I normally do will be the best answer. Plus, it puts a lot of pressure on Coach DB to create a plan quickly, and science just doesn't work like that. But it's something to think about.)

I have a lot of thinking to do this weekend, but hopefully I'll have settled on a plan by early next week. So I'll update when I have something.

Thanks for your help, guys!

[QUOTE="SarahDisney, post: 58735252, member: 524739"
  2. What was your peak mileage week? (How many miles and how long before the race)
  5. What was the total mileage of the last 7 weeks of your plan? (because I have 7 weeks until my race ... so my training plan would be a max of 7 weeks ... I'm trying to see what mileage normal people run in 7 weeks)
[/QUOTE]

:wave: Hi! Not sure if I’ve commented here before, but I thought I’d try to answer some of your questions. I will say that the last dedicated half marathon training plan that I’ve done was from the spring of 2016, but I would say a lot of the mileage is about the same as what my training group still does for half marathons now.

1. 13 miles
2. 29 miles - 3 weeks before the race (sometimes this is 2 weeks before)
3. 16 week plan
4. 197 miles (but this includes some OrangeTheory miles, three 10ks, the Star Wars Half, and maybe a few skipped runs)
5. 95 (same races, extra/skipped runs apply here)
6. I think it did prepare me well. I think I PR’d that spring half. (I’m really liking my DB plans now and feel they give me the best opportunity to get better.)

ETA: I’m not sure if those total mileage numbers are correct (seems a little low maybe??). It’s possible there are miles I ran on the indoor track or treadmill that I didn’t include in my Garmin data.

Last edited:
Not An Update (A Request)

Last night I sat down to start writing my first United Airlines NYC Half training update. As I was writing out the thought process behind the plan, I realized ... I'm not 100% sold on my plan. Thinking over the plans I've made for my previous three halfs and how I felt at each of those races, I'm not convinced that the plan I originally made for this half was the best one.

I decided that it would be interesting to look at plans that other people have used and see if that makes the plan making process any easier.
So ... if you've training for a half and feel comfortable sharing some of your training plan information, I'd appreciate answers to some or all of the following questions:

Although I kinda feel like for many people the answer to a lot of these will be "I did whatever Coach DB told me to do." (And yes, that is actually something I'm thinking about ... although the race is not that far away, so I'm not convinced that going that far away from what I normally do will be the best answer. Plus, it puts a lot of pressure on Coach DB to create a plan quickly, and science just doesn't work like that. But it's something to think about.)

I have a lot of thinking to do this weekend, but hopefully I'll have settled on a plan by early next week. So I'll update when I have something.

Thanks for your help, guys!
I can't really answer your questions because I didn't really track that sort of thing until last year but I have been running halfs since 2010 so I feel like I could at least share what I can recall and some other thoughts.

Assuming you're used to a traditional training plan, I had good experience with Higdon's Plans. The link below is the one I would recommend to someone with some running history and the full 12 weeks. Since you don't have the 12 weeks, it's really up to you to determine if you have the fitness needed to jump in late or find something else.
http://www.halhigdon.com/training/64471/Half-Marathon-Walk-Training-Program-Intermediate-2

Previously, I would max out at 12-13 miles either one or two weeks before the race. To get across the finish line, I think at a minimum someone should be running 3 days a week; one long run slowly ramping up to 10-13 miles and two shorter runs (3-5m). For varying my runs, I really like doing speed-work and if you have the time, I'd definitely suggest it. It doesn't have to be anything formal, could just be running fast to a light pole then running slow to the next one.

Since last summer, I've officially adopted the train slow, run fast ideology and DB put a plan together for me. I can't predict the future, but I'm optimistic about the results. I would not suggest jumping into this halfway but wanted to give it as a point of reference.
  1. What was your longest long run? Scheduled for 15m
  2. What was your peak mileage week? (How many miles and how long before the race) Peak weekly mileage is two weeks before at 46 miles
  3. How many weeks total was your plan? 14
  4. What was the total mileage of your plan? ~472mi
  5. What was the total mileage of the last 7 weeks of your plan? (because I have 7 weeks until my race ... so my training plan would be a max of 7 weeks ... I'm trying to see what mileage normal people run in 7 weeks) ~257.2
  6. Do you feel that the plan adequately prepared you for your race? Time will tell, but I definitely think it will.

I'll say that I've got the time. 7 weeks is really short though as my minimum is usually 8 weeks. It takes about 6 weeks to adapt to new training stimulus. With the being said, it's not like you're starting anew since you've been doing previous training. My wife and G are going to a hockey game tonight, and I'm not running myself for some time, so I could probably have something written up in less than 24 hours.

As for the questions:
For a HM, I tend to schedule long runs to be between 120-150 minutes. The thought process is that 120 minutes represents the aerobic threshold for a single training run. Going beyond 120 min to 150 min can be beneficial for M training, but isn't a necessity for HM. I take it on a case by case basis whether I go to 120 min or 150 min. Ideally, I try to keep the longest run to be no more than 35% of the weekly mileage. Although preferably, it ends up between 25-30%. Obviously that's impossible on a 3 day plan, and really tough (but doable) on a 4 day plan.
  1. What was your peak mileage week? (How many miles and how long before the race)
For a HM, I tend to schedule peak mileage to occur at 14 days. You don't need to be as fresh for a HM as a M. It still fits the mitochondrial life cycle of 14 days, in that you should have near 100% power/energy with a proper taper.
  1. How many weeks total was your plan?
I tend to write plans that are in the 12-16 week range for a HM. I don't like to go less than 8 because it starts to push the limits on adaptations. But, I've learned that it's better to make the appropriate changes even within 7 weeks if it will keep someone injury free and hitting the starting line ready to crush it. As surprising as it may seem, most people train too hard in the time they spend training. They end up "Surviving the training, rather than thriving because of it."
  1. What was the total mileage of your plan?
Completely variable. A good HM plan can be written for 3, 4, 5, or 6 days per week. I tend to train in the 7.5-9 hours per week range. HM plans I've written can be as little as 4 hours. Most end up in the 5-7 range. Mileage is then dependent on current fitness relative pace x duration.
  1. What was the total mileage of the last 7 weeks of your plan? (because I have 7 weeks until my race ... so my training plan would be a max of 7 weeks ... I'm trying to see what mileage normal people run in 7 weeks)
Completely variable. I tend to evaluate things on duration rather the mileage (although the plans I write are mileage based in the final product, that's only for ease of use for the reader). I would normally run something like 375 miles (or 54 miles per week; duration around 7.5-8 hours)
  1. Do you feel that the plan adequately prepared you for your race?
:car:

Thanks for all the answers and input, guys! Keep it coming - in my current state of "I have no idea what to do with myself," I'm like a sponge - I'm trying to absorb it all! (Even if I don't end up using this advice/whatnot for this race - it's good to read people's experiences and thoughts)

View attachment 298339

This is unrelated to HM training, but my contribution to today’s coffee talk. Thanks, programmable coffee maker and Lin Manuel Miranda.

Confession: I've never seen Hamilton. I don't do musicals.
(But ... Lin Manuel Miranda has an honorary degree from my alma mater. Which he got because of In The Heights - the school's main campus (which is not the campus I went to, but I did spend plenty of time there) is in Washington Heights)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter