• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Liberty Tree Tavern and California Grill

kayeandjim00

<font color=purple>Now living in Onderland!<br><fo
DH and I are starting to plan a trip in May to WDW. We are hoping to try two new restaurants this year and these were the ones we were thinking of. What have been your experiences at either of these? Did you love it or hate it? Any suggestions for what we should order? (We will be at both for dinner.) Thanks in advance for any advice!

I generally avoid character meals, so I've only been to LTT for lunch. It's a nice quiet spot in the middle of a hectic day at MK. Food is fairly good (nothing outstanding, but good) and the portions are large.

California Grill is FABULOUS. The food is just outstanding - the pork tenderloin entree (served with balsamic mushrooms and creamy polenta) is one of my favorite dishes anywhere - WDW or otherwise. Service is excellent, and the restaurant itself is beautiful with a breathtaking view of the Castle. Expect to spend quite a bit of money, but IMO it's well worth it.

Thanks so much MHopkins2! California Grill sounds wonderful and I'm going to make sure and write down your suggestion as it sounds so good!

We had a fantastic experience with the LTT on the night we went to MVMCP!

Our server was friendly, the characters were playful, and the food was fantastic. I wasn't expecting much from this meal, because of the mediocre reviews and because of the simple menu, but I just couldn't rave enough about it after we ate there, and it really turned out to be my most favorite meal out of 6 full days of eating.

Another thumbs up for LTT. We LOVE it. It is the quietest, calmest CM that we have been to, but yet it was fun. The food, served family style was delicious. Service was just so-so, but we were taken care of so we were ok with that.

Jordan's mom

I agree with the opinions on the Liberty Tree Tavern... we never miss it when we go. It's amazingly non-hectic in the middle of a hectic part of the park.

LTT for dinner is good...but, if you really want to see the talent of the LTT chef...go for lunch, even a late lunch then have a snack in the evening. The lunch menu is wonderful.

CA Grill for hubby and I, we find it just to be ok. I know chefs are changed often..there may be someone new now. We have eaten at CA Grill several times...nothing really stands out as being exceptional for the price, and if the restaurant is full, it is quite loud.

We love LTT for lunch and CG for dinner!

Originally posted by BCV23
We love LTT for lunch and CG for dinner!

Ditto! We love lunch at LTT and I also recommend the pork tenderloin at CG. Not a huge portion though so enjoy an appetizer or as I did, ate my WHOLE wonderful dessert. They change periodically but are very good.

Thanks so much to all of you who posted. Looks like we are on the right track with our picks this year for new restaurants! :)

We haven't ate at CG (yet!) but I just wanted to add another thumbs up for lunch at LTT. This lunch is such a calm, enjoyable break in the middle of a hectic day at MK. The food was great, and the atmosphere and service was even better!

We enjoy LTT too. We always love the lunch there! Last trip we did dinner before MVMCP, and while the food was good, the character interaction was just so-so. If you're going with out kids, I would suggest LTT for lunch. It really is a nice relaxing break in the middle of the day.:earsgirl:

We did LTT for the first time for lunch and we loved it! A word of warning on the Mac & Cheese. It is stouffer's, not out of a box and my girls wouldn't touch it.:rolleyes:

LTT and CG are very different restaurants, I believe. We have only eaten at LTT for the character dinner. It was good, family style, country-type atmosphere. I believe CG is much fancier and higher-end.

I know we are in the minority on the board, but my fiance and I don't see the fuss about California Grill. We've eaten there five times (returning because we keep thinking we're missing something) and it is just okay, but we feel Flying Fish (at the BW) is much better - food, atmosphere (CG is VERY loud), and service. Also, Citrico's and Narcoossee's are better than CG, imo.

Even though we're childless (for now), we enjoy LTT, including the character dinner. Dinner is a fixed menu, served family style and lunch is delicious. It's completely different food than at CG (our palates enjoy everything from V&A's to a corn dog on the BW), but great!

Another vote for a LTT lunch and a CG dinner. We've never done LTT for dinner, but we love lunch there. We've had great times at CG for dinner- definitely make a PS!!! CG is one of our favorite WDW dinner places, next to Flying Fish.

LTT for dinner makes you think your are eating Thanksgiving dinner at whatever time of the year, my wife and I love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter