Let's talk minivans

We love our Sienna. It is a 2004 with almost 180K on it. Next car will be another Sienna. We are empty nesters. We like how easy it is to get into, the stuff we can carry including grandchildren and car seats, and the view of the road. Plus, it has been fairly reliable.

When I upgrade my current minivan, probably next year, I'm getting another Chrysler. I DO use the stow 'n go. Not every day, but sometimes. We use the back reconfiguration system fairly frequently, and the second-row option less often, but occasionally. There are 6 of us, when we're on vacation, in particular, it comes in handy.

We also have AWD, but only on DH's SUV. We have a beach pass, which means we can park on the beach, and AWD is either required or strongly encouraged for that. Plus, DH's job is such that he has to get to work, no matter the weather. Even though it would be unusual for him to need it, we feel better having it. We don't have AWD on my minivan, since it isn't our beach vehicle or needed in all weather (if schools are closed, I'm home with the kids).

I have a Dodge Caravan. It is good for hauling stuff, the stow n go is fairly easy to do. Seems like the back row is super easy to fold down, and the middle ones are more difficult. I had to look at a youtube video to finally figure out how to get them folded down. There is a trick to it, and it is not that hard if you know how to do it. With all the seats folded down, you can put a lot of stuff in the van. It will hold 7 people, nobody has ever complained about being uncomfortable when we have used it to haul that many people. I have actually seen it exceed 30mpg if driven on the interstate for a long stretch. Around town it is more like 17mpg though. I guess the roominess, being very handy and comfy, along with the versatility are all the good points.

The bad points: (for me at least) I find it a bit difficult to maneuver. It seems like you need sooooo much room to turn and park. I know I am not the best driver, but it is very difficult for me to get it in and out of parking places. I have to pull through or park somewhere that I can back in without anybody around, because I just cannot easily get in and out of parking places with it. Thankfully mine at least, (I would assume the rest of them do too) has the backup safety sensors. I guess another other bad point is that it is remarkably slow. They also lack a coolness factor :rotfl2:

Love our 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. We're at 170K miles, so will probably need to make a change soon. Not sure what we'll do with older kids now, so the thread is timely. A lot of those miles were racked up on road trips. We love driving trips. But I'm pretty sure I'd miss that space on vacation, even with less or no kids along. Really not sure what we'll do.

Not sure about the other models now, but what I loved about the Chrysler when we bought it was how well it drives. It feels like driving a car. Other minivans felt more like driving a truck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter