Let's talk Manatees

ColoradoMom!!

Disneyland 1971 with Mickey and Me
Hubby and I would like to take a day away from the parks to see the Manatees the first week of December. Not interested too much in formal swim with the manatees type thing, but would love to see of them what we can.

We have been reading a lot and using the search feature here, but would love some insight into where to go - Blue Springs State Park vs Three Sisters Spring ( which I believe just reopened today) vs Homosassa State Park.

Please share all your experiences and feedback. TIA

My wife and I have seen them at the Manatee viewing area at Canaveral National Seashore.

I haven’t been to the others, but I have been to Blue Springs! There was a cold snap when we were there March 2022, so a few dozen of the manatees had moved back in. I hear they get hundreds in the winter. They had a few sock areas to look out at the manatees, and another area along a trail that led to a “resident” manatee. (I don’t know if the resident is still there.) Save the Manatee Club runs a count of the manatees on Twitter (account is @savethemanatee).

We tried to do a manatee kayak tour in Feb 2018 - it was so unseasonably warm (oh darn :smooth:) that the manatees were back at sea. However, the tour was still awesome. We got to see lots of other wildlife & really enjoyed the nice serene river areas. This was Blue Springs.

Last year we went over to the east coast in Nov & kayaked with manatees there on a sunset tour. We were able to touch them when they came right up to the kayaks. Also saw dolphins and lots of birds.

We love manatee viewing in Florida. Without a doubt, the best experience we've had is the Big Bend Power Plant viewing near Tampa. It would be especially good in early December, since as the weather gets cooler, the manatees tend to migrate to this particular power plant to take advantage of the warmer water outside the plant. The manatees are there in large numbers (more than 100 when we've been there). They have a really nice viewing area set up for people. Might not be close enough to you for what you want to do - but it is a great option, from personal experiences.

January and February are the best months for manatee viewing in a natural spring environment (boat/kayak/snorkeling). I am not sure the first week of December will really produce enough colder ocean temps to start their migration.

That being said, I have been to Homosassa State Park many times (I have lived in central Florida for 20 years) and you are guaranteed to see them up close and underwater. The park also has a wonderful boat ride to the entrance. Easy vote for me.

We tried to do a manatee kayak tour in Feb 2018 - it was so unseasonably warm (oh darn :smooth:) that the manatees were back at sea. However, the tour was still awesome. We got to see lots of other wildlife & really enjoyed the nice serene river areas. This was Blue Springs.

Last year we went over to the east coast in Nov & kayaked with manatees there on a sunset tour. We were able to touch them when they came right up to the kayaks. Also saw dolphins and lots of birds.
I hope this means that you could hypothetically touch them, not that you actually did!

For anyone reading, do not touch a wild manatee. If you can be fined up to $500 and face up to 60 days in jail.

It’s ok for a manatee to touch you if they just happen to be there, but don’t actively go to touch a manatee.

I love manatees. Hope you get to see lots of them!

We did a boat tour around the canals in Key Largo and the guide took us to see this one extremely predictable manatee. He lays on his back and drinks the AC runoff water dripping from a certain house. So cute! If I lived there I would sit on the dock and watch him all day!

Free spot ... S Patrick Drive, 0.8 miles south of Pineda Cswy SR-404
1700162644627.png
when it get cool dozens will congregate near the bridge here ... and you'll see many cars pulled over to look

A bit north of the Space Center is Haulover Canal and at the draw bridge is a large parking area and a deck for manatee watching ... in Canaveral National Seashore . . .
1700163040928.png
You can find folks that launch kayak tours here. I did this once and manatee would come up and rub their backs on the bottom of the kayak!

1700164179251.png

Last edited:
I did this once and manatee would come up and rub their backs on the bottom of the kayak!
This is where we went on the east coast (I couldn't remember the name). While you can't approach and touch manatees, if you are floating nearby with your hand in the water, they do tend to come up to you and investigate...

OP here. Thank you so much for all this great info! I thought I had to go over to Crystal River to see them. Lots of great options here!

Hubby and I would like to take a day away from the parks to see the Manatees the first week of December. Not interested too much in formal swim with the manatees type thing, but would love to see of them what we can.

We have been reading a lot and using the search feature here, but would love some insight into where to go - Blue Springs State Park vs Three Sisters Spring ( which I believe just reopened today) vs Homosassa State Park.

Please share all your experiences and feedback. TIA

Round Island Beach Park is a little drive but that's where we saw them!​

Jumping in to ask where would the closest place to orlando be to view them?

Using I-4 and SR-408 junction as the 'Orlando' reference ... the Haulover Canal viewing spot I mentioned is 40 miles on a straight line. In the same way, Cape Canaveral Jetty Park is the nearest 'salt water' .... the Gulf / Clearwater is almost twice as far as is Crystal River ...1700593893412.png

Further drive is the power plant at Vero Beach. Good spot for watching esp if you're staying at the Disney Vero Beach DVC resort in the area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter