• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Let's talk buses at POR and CBR .

CBR OR POR

• CBR

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • POR

Votes: 19 79.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tink15823

DIS Veteran
Ok so we have always stayed at value until our last trip we stayed at CBR. Pricing our next and looking at maps and bus stops . Our last trip we stayed at Trinidad North building 32 great view of fireworks close to old Port Royal. We had a wonderful location to both pools and two bus stops . As we look at the map we noticed POR had less stops . Is the resort as big as CBR . Are the bus stops as convenient to the rooms as CBR . I should also note our teenage daughter is wheelchair bound .TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand the bus situation at POR is better than CBR. We will be staying at POR for the first time in September and have never stayed at CBR, only POP. However, I have researched this topic extensively in hopes of best accommodating all members of our traveling party. To answer one of yours ?s, POR is smaller than CBR, and it also lacks the huge lake in the middle to maneuver around.

Here is what Josh at easy WDW has to say about transportation at moderate resorts:

"Best Transportation

1. Port Orleans French Quarter Resort
  2. Port Orleans Riverside Resort
  3. Coronado Springs Resort
  4. Caribbean Beach Resort
French Quarter and Riverside sometimes share buses, particularly to Parks other than Magic Kingdom. French Quarter has the advantage because it is picked up and dropped off first for all destinations other than Downtown Disney. This usually guarantees French Quarter guests a seat on the bus and the the resort only has one bus stop, which makes it easy to navigate to the correct line.

Despite being picked up and dropped off after French Quarter, Riverside benefits from having above-average bus service. Waits are usually shorter at both Port Orleans resorts than they would be at the other Moderates. The Port Orleans Moderates are also somewhat centrally located, which means relatively short bus rides. Finally, the Port Orleans resorts both have a dock with boat service to Downtown Disney. The ride is scenic and it is the preferred transportation method when heading Downtown.

Both Coronado Springs Resort and Caribbean Beach Resort have 5+ individual bus stops. If you get on at one of the early stops, you’ll be more likely to get a seat (rather than stand), but you’ll also have to wait for the bus to circle the resort as it stops at the other six-or-so stops. Getting on at the final stop will lessen your transit time on the way to the Park, but will also result in you standing more often than not due to people boarding on previous stops taking the seats. On the return trip, you’ll also have to wait for the bus to stop and let off guests at all the preceding stops as well. With no watercraft transportation, it’s easy to rank it below the Port Orleans properties.

Coronado Springs Resort comes in third because the buses are usually empty if the resort is full of conventioneers who aren’t visiting the theme parks. The problem is that the conventioneers will probably go to the Parks at least one day and Disney isn’t that quick in upping the amount of buses necessary to service all the additional riders. This can lead to long waits and crowded buses, particularly to Downtown Disney in the evening. Coronado is also a bit more remote with longer transit times to Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Magic Kingdom.

Caribbean Beach has the worst transportation of the bunch. Waits tend to be the longest of the Moderates and it also takes the longest for the buses to circle the resort to pick up and drop off guests."

http://www.easywdw.com/resorts/best-disney-world-moderate-resort-hotel/

Hopefully, that helps! I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip!

I think the bus service at POR is much better than that at CBR.

I also have to strongly disagree with Josh's advice. I have found CSR to have far and away the best bus service of all of the moderates. It has 4 stops (not the 5 the previous poster mentioned). And as fewer guests are using those buses to get to/from the parks, they don't seem to be as packed or crazy as the buses at the rest of the Disney resorts. It is also not remote, it is indeed pretty centrally located.

But between POR and CBR I would always pick POR. It isn't even a hard decision.

I have stayed at all the moderates except CBR, so can only tell you that both trips at POR we experienced horrible bus service. I know it may be just as bad at CBR, but going o try anyways this fall. POFQ was the best, and CSR was WAY better than POR, so I can't begin to imagine why josh would rank POR better van CSR. Most of the time the buses are empty going to the parks because of conventions.

Caribbean was built as the first large wdw hotel...

It has the same number of rooms roughly as Dixie...and later Coronado.

Caribbeans bus service is the worst...because of the amount of stops...port is slightly better. Remember that Caribbean is also "behind" EPCOT...which makes that trip longer than it should. You can hit a golfball from the front of Caribbean and have it end up in the world showcase...on a roll - but whatever.
Saratoga and OKW buses are highly annoying as well...as akl can be at times.

That's the tale of the tape

I've stayed at them all and not noticed a consistent difference.
I would not base a stay on bus service. Bus service is pretty good at all the moderates! If you prefer one bus stop stay deluxe or value :)

We have stayed at both CBR and POR and we noticed no discernible difference in the two. Both are centrally located and therefore you will not have a long ride anywhere on property. There is no way I would chose one over the other because of bus service because that is a wash.

I would have to agree with Tink.. We've stayed at both CBR and POR, POFQ too. I haven't noticed any difference. 99% of the time thevWDW busses run well. At any resort (deluxe too) I've had times where 6 of every park bus has gone by except ours!!!
At POR we have always been a reasonable distance from a bus stop. We always stay in the mansion section. So I can't speak for the Bayou.

When we've stayed at POFQ we only shared with POR during non peak hours. At park opening and closing busses were dedicated.

Just go with the resort that appeals to you..

We have stayed in Martinique at CBR on 2 previous trips. Never had a wait more than 10 minutes and usually a seat as well. But it's luck of the draw, you could miss a MK bus by thirty seconds and never know. Until it seems like forever while waiting for the next. Could happen at any resort!

I think the bus service at POR is much better than that at CBR.

I also have to strongly disagree with Josh's advice. I have found CSR to have far and away the best bus service of all of the moderates. It has 4 stops (not the 5 the previous poster mentioned). And as fewer guests are using those buses to get to/from the parks, they don't seem to be as packed or crazy as the buses at the rest of the Disney resorts. It is also not remote, it is indeed pretty centrally located.

But between POR and CBR I would always pick POR. It isn't even a hard decision.

Completely agree with you and disagree with Josh.

I would rate them:
1 CSR -- 1915 rooms in 2, 3 and 4 story buildings
2 POFQ -- 1008 rooms in 3 story buildings
3 POR -- 2048 rooms in 2 and 3 story buildings
4 CBR -- 2112 rooms in 2 story buildings

CSR has 4 bus stops not 5+. While you have to go through the parking lot to 3 of them their lots are not large nor have landscape buffers. We found due to the convention guests not using the buses that we have never had to stand. The resort is well located to all parks so none is a long ride. Just over bridge from EPCOT and DHS, around corner from AK and at the exit to the highway straight in to MK.

POFQ I place second because if it shares it is usually picked up first, it's a smaller resort and there is only one stop. The farthest rooms though are just as far a walk as any other moderate so the one stop is great for the closer rooms, maybe not for farthest.

POR has decent buses but they are well used so depending on your stop you could be standing. There are only 4 stops. We do not like walking to the outer bus stops because they are far through the parking lots and buffers. We try to stay close to main building because getting on the first bus stop there (South Depot) means we usually have seats.

CBR has 7 bus stops and depending on where you get on you could be riding quite some time before ever leaving the resort to head to a park. Also has an internal bus because it's a large resort surrounding a large lake and utilizing only 2 story buildings. Some bus stops are a longer walk through parking, some short and some the bus comes up close to buildings. When we stay here we use our car.

That said, I really don't pick a resort based on transportation because even the best can have off days. I do make a choice to drive to parks from some resorts.

To OP, POR is smaller than CBR but again depending where your room is can affect your stay good or bad.

moderates2.jpg

Last edited:
We've stayed at por and Csr. Both times the bus system worked just fine. We had less than a 5 minute walk to the bus stop and never waited more than 10-15 minutes. My wife stayed at cbr but that was 16 years ago so her info is a little outdated. I agree with the other poster, I'd never pick a resort based on bus service. Just plan accordingly time wise and enjoy the atmosphere.

I've stayed at both and agree that you should pick based on what resort you like. I thought the bussing was similar at both. I have also stayed at both with someone with mobility issues. I found the bus walk from the mansions at POR to be much more pleasant than at CBR. We were in a first floor room facing the parking lot in Jamaica 43 and a pool facing royal room in oak tree at POR. The shade from the main building stop to the room was better than the blazing sun crossing a parking lot. That said seeing the refurbished rooms at CBR I think if I were picking between the two I prefer the style of CBR. But I like island style better than southern style. Would it be less stress for you to just go with what you know a and seem to have enjoyed? Hugs and pixie dust

We've stayed at CBR the last 4 trips and I guess, bottom line, is that Disney Transportation is "Disney Transportation". CBR is a big resort with more stops than other resorts, so you may, depending on where you get on the bus, spend more time in the resort picking up other guests. But, really, it's so "subjective". There are so many variables (time of day you are at your stop, how long it's been since a bus last came to your stop, how many people are at the resort when you are there, etc.)

In all the times we've been, I can't say I remember a time where the wait time, or the length of the ride, was SO bad it was "memorable". Often times we get to the stop, wait no more than 5 minutes, and we are on a bus on our way to a park!

I do agree with other posters...don't pick a resort based on transportation concerns...pick the resort you want and go with it!

Caribbean was built as the first large wdw hotel...

It has the same number of rooms roughly as Dixie...and later Coronado.

Caribbeans bus service is the worst...because of the amount of stops...port is slightly better. Remember that Caribbean is also "behind" EPCOT...which makes that trip longer than it should. You can hit a golfball from the front of Caribbean and have it end up in the world showcase...on a roll - but whatever.
Saratoga and OKW buses are highly annoying as well...as akl can be at times.

That's the tale of the tape
I can hit my drive to World Showcase...without a roll. Just saying!!! :-):mickeyjum

And with the exception of Christmas Day, we have never had a bus issue in over 60 days at CBR.

We have stayed at both, it all depends on what time of the day,which park you are going to; which will dictate your wait. It's is the same on the return trips from the parks, it all depends on the crowds and what is going on in the parks and what time you leave to go back to the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter