Let's talk about my trip from 7/10 - 7/17 with a group of 9!

Let's talk about Animal Kingdom!

Got up at 5am, had breakfast in the room, waiting at the bus by 6:30. There was already a bit of a crowd. We got on the first or 2nd first bus. This is when we went all the way to MK instead. That kinda delayed our morning quite a bit. But still, we were in line for Avatar at 7:40 or so. It was an extended queue clearly as we went all along the water and wrapped back around. Once in the actual queue, I wanted to take my time. The flora was very pretty and the mountain work was very cool. Going through the caves and forests was quite a sight too. I enjoy attractions like this where you get immersed. We were in the first preshow by 8:40. This ride was a huge hit with the entire group! I liked it though think it's a little overhyped. Maybe because my feet were on the ground the whole time I didn't get the full effect. But it was a favorite among the group. We then did Navi River which was posted an hour but only about 20 minutes. Had some iced fruit bars while in line. This was a cute ride but ultimately nothing special. After this, we headed over to the Safari. Wait was about a half hour but felt longer, boarded about 10:40am. Felt slightly behind schedule here. The safari was cool, exciting to see the animals all around you. Had to wait for a bunch of rhinos to get out of our way. The giraffes were marvelous. Elephants were a wonder. Some other animals we either didn't see or they were in the corner sleeping. But that's how it is with all zoos and such. When the safari was over, we stopped at the Harambe fruit stand for a snack. I got the spiced corn on the cob there, and wow, this was one of my favorite snacks all week long! So flavorful, going to try to make this at home. We then did the gorilla falls trek, though didn't take too much time. We live near the Bronx zoo, so really didn't linger too long here. After the trails, the group chose to split off a little bit before our dinner reservation. My family of 4 went first to Expedition Everest. About a 20 minute wait, and the walk through had lots of cool stuff to see. We asked for the front. My daughter and I sat in that car, my wife and son behind us. This is one of my favorites, and it was very exciting to do it with them! They had a blast. Too bad it's so hard to see the Yeti, I think I was the only one who did. When I last went on this ride, it was Spring 2006 and it was still fully functional. He should be lit up better, most people totally missed him. We then headed over to Dinosaur ride. This line was deceptive, looked like we were about to go in the building but instead an outside queue that was hot. It was about a 20 minute wait that felt way longer. Once in the building there was lots of cool stuff to look at. My son is huge into dinosaurs and was naming each one or asking questions about the ones he didn't know about. This ride is pretty rough and herky jerky. But we all loved it, laughing and screaming the whole way through. The picture at the end was a good one. We then walked over to the Yak and Yeti to meet up with our group for dinner. Beforehand we took some pictures at the large tree close by.

Let's talk about Yak & Yeti!

We had 2 reservations of 5 and 4 for 2:15pm. They could not sit us together, but we sat at tables next to each other. I ordered a beer, pot stickers for appetizer, and the Chicken Tikka Masala for main course. The pot stickers were fantastic! The sauce it came with was divine. The table also got coconut shrimp and the buffalo calamari. All 3 appetizers were incredible! My main course was also superb. A few too many onions for my preference, but loved it anyway. I also enjoyed how they gave my kids crayons and an activity sheet which kept them busy. This was the only restaurant to do that all week (probably as they are not operated by Disney?). I feel because of our location in this restaurant (one of the first tables as you walk in) we missed out on some of the aesthetics and atmosphere of it, but nobody seemed to mind. Several in the group considered this their favorite meal of the week.

Let's talk about the rest of this day!

It was about 3:35 by the time dinner was done, and we booked it over to the Lion King show, making it in time for the 4pm show. Any seat here is good. My parents adored this show. Kids were entertained. Was glad to see it. After that we walked through the tails near the Tree of Life, searching for animal carvings and taking some breathtaking pictures along the way. Kids had a blast finding the animals in the tree. Eventually my parents took the kids back to the hotel while my wife and I shopped and snacked around the park. We went into every store, even one that was closed yet the door was open, oops! We also played some boardwalk games, winning a stuffed triceratops for my son in the process. I was craving an iced coffee and had a caramel Shakin Jamaican which was perfect. We then got some green beer and the pineapple cream cheese snack near Avatar. This beer was one of my favorites all trip. The snack my wife loved. We closed the park down at 7pm and hopped on a bus to Magic Kingdom. Not much to say here, we did all the rest of the shops we didn't already do. Took some pictures. Bought some souveniers and candy. Walked out right as the fireworks were starting at 9:15. We mobile ordered some food on the bus which was ready for us when we arrived back at the hotel. After our meal we crashed as this was a long, hot, tiring day! This was the day we walked over 27k steps.

To Be Continued...

Let's talk about our last day at Magic Kingdom!

We rope dropped but not very intensely. Grouped up by Tomorrow Land at 8:35. We wanted to do Space Mountain. My son changed his mind again and said he would be brave and give it a shot. We were about to board at 9:25am. We all loved it! They wanted go to go on again right away, but it doesn't work like that unfortunately. We got some astronaut ice cream and headed over to the Speedway. This is one of those rides that exist in every theme park though it's still fun. But it's totally out of place here. Takes up so much space and could do so much better. In any event, we all had fun laughing the whole time through, so I guess it does its job! After the Speedway we got some ice cream in Tomorrow Land at Auntie Gravity's. Once done, we headed over to Winnie the Pooh. The interactive queue here was a lot of fun. Kids were constantly distracted. This ride is cute and has the bonus feature of bouncing like Tigger which its California counterpart does not do. When the ride was over we caught a Goofy parade and the Princesses parade. My daughter was blowing kisses at the princesses who acted accordingly cute back. Pretty precious! We then did the Country Bears. I wasn't really looking forward to this, but it was very funny. Many of the jokes go over the heads of the kids, but they still laugh or smile. We then took a ride on The Barnstormer which is so short it's criminal. By then it was time for our dinner reservations at Liberty Tree Tavern.

Let's talk about Liberty Tree Tavern!

We had a reservation for 5 at 1pm though we didn't get seated until about 1:20pm. At least we were able to wait inside for a little bit before they called our name. Well actually, that was kind of weird. I saw somebody else ask to wait inside and they had to show their reservation was checked in, then they said ok. So I tried the same, and they told me no. I went back to my family and told my mom to ask. When she did, they said yes. I was a little miffed at that, but at least we got in and out of the sun for a bit. Anyways, we were seated at a nice table in the corner by a fireplace and display of trinkets. The server was kind, and brought out bread for us which was warm and yummy. Then we got salad which was fine. After that they brought out the main dish of turkey, pork, and beef brisket along with string beans, mac and cheese, stuffing, and mashed potatoes. The beef brisket was amazing! The mac and cheese and mashed potatoes were very good side dishes. Pretty much everything here was good. We asked for a little extra meat. Then it was time for dessert which was incredible! The ooey gooey toffee cake with vanilla ice cream was to die for! We devoured this thing. It was my mom's favorite thing all trip.

Let's talk about the rest of our last full day!

After dinner, we took some pictures of the kids in their Mary Poppins outfits. Got some nice compliments on those. Everyone was tired so we started to head out of the park a little after 3pm. We went back to the hotel and got changed to go in the pool. The group of 9 was all in the pool together a while. My wife and I wanted to check out Disney Springs, so we left and got there about 6:30. Shopped in all the stores we wanted to. Self checkout in the World of Disney store was pretty cool and easy. We mobile ordered at Earl of Sandwich. They were pretty good, nothing fancy, but the bread was nice. While eating, I found out my 1pm flight tomorrow was cancelled. So I frantically rebooked us a flight for 7pm. I guess we have more time at the resort before we go. Shouldn't be a big deal, right? Anyways, Disney Springs was very crowded and if you wanted to eat or drink more, it seems like it would have been pretty difficult. There were bands performing, a DJ, a splash pad, cool stuff to look at all over. We finally had enough and got back to the resort at 9:30 or so. We once again mobile ordered some food and drink for when we arrived back at the hotel. Then we crashed one last time.

To Be Continued... (last part coming up)

Great trip report! Love the way you have this organized!
I have a late Oga reservation on my trip - good to hear skyliner was still running. I wondered about that!

Great trip report! Love the way you have this organized!
I have a late Oga reservation on my trip - good to hear skyliner was still running. I wondered about that!

Thank you!

Yeah I didn't expect it to be running. We were prepared to order an Uber or something. Was very glad it was going. Seemed really dead though, makes me wonder if we "just made it" or for how longer it would've been available.

Ok, ok.... Yak &Yeti is ACTUALLY my favorite. Even though we were seated by the bathrooms. Again. :-)

Canceled flight??!! Yikes, what the heck?! Looking forward to the exciting conclusion!

Ok, ok.... Yak &Yeti is ACTUALLY my favorite. Even though we were seated by the bathrooms. Again. :-)

Canceled flight??!! Yikes, what the heck?! Looking forward to the exciting conclusion!

Yak & Yeti was so good. And the menu is huge, so it makes you want to go back and try more another time!

Let's talk about trying to get home!

Yeah this part didn't go so smoothly. Our Saturday 1pm flight was cancelled, I was able to rebook to 7pm. Lost our preferred seats, but fine. Hm OK great we can take our time in the morning, have breakfast, go in the pool a little bit, then head on out. So that's what we did! We all had breakfast together which was nice because it gave the kids a chance to have the classic Mickey waffles. We went back to the room and took our time packing up which was nice because otherwise we would have been scrambling to do this. We went in the pool which was nice because it was hot and we all love the pool. We went in the arcade a bit which was nice because we played air hockey and cooled off a little bit. We had a small meal in the cafeteria which was nice because I got to have that tye dye cheesecake one last time. We went to the front desk which was nice because I was able to pay off some of my bill with gift cards and cash I brought. Finally we went out front to wait for the Magical Express bus which was nice because it came earlier than expected so we hopped right on. We got to the airport before 4 which was nice because we had plenty of time to grab one last meal before boarding. We sat down and waited to board our plane which was nice because by that time we were ready to get home. This is where things were things were suddenly no longer nice.

Let's talk about staying in an airport for almost a day!

So at about 6:20pm, when we should've been boarding, they delayed our flight. To 5am the next morning. This was just enough time to make us think, should we leave for the hotel or just stick it out? If we leave, by the time we get to a hotel and check in to the room, it'll be almost 8 if we are lucky, probably longer. Also we have 6 people including 2 kids so that's 2 ubers, including 2 car seats/boosters. And by the time we get to sleep (if we slept at all after all this commotion), we would have to wake back up by 2am or so in order to leave the hotel (2 more ubers) and get back to the airport to go back through security and re-check our bags too. We decided to stick it out. But then they delayed our flight to 6am. Ok no big deal, just an hour. Then around midnight, they delayed it until 10am. Now we are getting upset. It was pushed back further to 11:30am. Which later became about 1pm when all was said and done. The fact that they kept marginally pushing the time back as we got closer meant that we were stuck in limbo at the airport. If we knew ahead of time it would be 1pm or even 11am then we would have left the day prior. Also they told my parents they wouldn't let them get their bags which had medication in them. When I looked for an agent to speak to, none were around. When we finally found an agent, the first sentence out of their mouth used the "F" word in it. I understand weather and mechanical and staffing issues occur with flying. However we were treated poorly with no consideration. We had 2 70 yr olds, and 2 children. My wife and I were fine, but we were quite surprised at the lack of caring for the rest of our family. My kids were troopers, sleeping on the floor without question. I barely slept at all, and felt it the rest of the week. The airport was freezing and we didn't have anything to keep warm with. Also the floor was pretty filthy, had to clear some pretzel crumbs and who knows what else so my kids had a spot to lay down on. Lastly, we were screwed with food/drink. There was a bar that literally closed at 5pm. I never seen that before! There were other food places that all closed by 6 or 7pm. I finally got (warm) bottles of water and some snacks which held us through the night. We were grateful to finally get home and crashed like never before once we hit the bed at home. Well over a full day later than originally planned.

Let's talk about what we didn't do!

I feel like we did pretty much everything we sought out to do. There were only a few rides we chose not to do. Mission Space is one, because everyone thought they would get sick from it. Bugs Life show is another, as we've done that before in California and even way back in Disney World, and it hasn't changed at all. The Carousel in the MK is another, but we go on so many of those everywhere we go. Kali River Rapids we also chose not to do as we didn't want to get soaked, plus have been on those kinds of things before. Astro Orbiter might be one we regrettably didn't do. But we did do it out in California, so its not fully missed. Alien Swirling Saucers we tried to do but the line was always a little bit longer than we would have liked. I would wait 15 minutes, but not 30. Also those days were pretty packed as it was. Lightning McQueens Racing Academy I wanted to do as well, but the timing just never worked out. Tom Sawyers Island is a huge time sink, so we avoided it. I remember out in CA how long it takes to take the raft over, explore the island, and take the raft back. Not really worth all the time. Same with the Riverboat. Besides that, we didn't do any of the movies in Epcot World Showcase or anywhere else there was just a movie. I would have liked to have done a few of these, but was outnumbered there.

Let's talk about my favorite things!

Favorite Rides: Tower of Terror, Splash Mountain, Rise of the Resistance

Favorite Meals: Sci-Fi Drive In, Yak & Yeti, Skippers Canteen

Favorite Snacks: Gaston's Tavern (cinnamon roll & brew), Harambe Fruit Stand (curried corn), Mickey ice cream sandwich (always hit the spot and plentiful)

Favorite Scenery: Pandora, Mexico Pavilion, Galaxy's Edge

Favorite Queue: Toy Story Midway Mania, Flight of Passage, Millennium Falcon

Favorite Memory: My daughter dancing down Main St, My son being brave for Space Mountain, My wife and I walking around shopping and drinking/snacking most nights alone.

Favorite thing that was Unexpected: The silly bus driver, how much I enjoyed Mickey's Philharmagic, how breathtaking the MK Fireworks are up close

Random notes: I averaged over 22k steps a day, with one day over 27k steps. Took over 10k pictures and 300 videos. Yes, I'm a little crazy.

Let's talk bout what you want to talk about!

I hope you all enjoyed my report. If you have any questions or want more details about anything, please let me know! Ask away and I will do my best to reply.

Until next time...

Thanks for writing such an informative report. Glad you and your family had mostly a great time.

Sorry to hear about the frustrating ending at MCO. Based on your experience, the horrible stories on the news the last couple of days, and this year's ticket prices we plan to drive to WDW this November. It will take us almost 19 hours of driving to get there from Madison, WI. But we plan to stop for the night in Georgia. We'll also save some money and hopefully some stress.

Last edited:
Wonderful report, loved binging it today on my lunch break. Sounds like you are a maker of pixie dust and you have made a memorable and magical trip for your family!

Thanks! Yeah it was very memorable yet difficult at times. Hopefully everyone appreciated the hard work that went into it.

Thanks for writing such an informative report. Glad you and your family had mostly a great time.

Sorry to hear about the frustrating ending at MCO. Based on your experience, the horrible stories on the news the last couple of days, and this year's ticket prices we plan to drive to WDW this November. It will take us almost 19 hours of driving to get there from Madison, WI. But we plan to stop for the night in Georgia. We'll also save some money and hopefully some stress.

I honestly wouldn't mind driving. Would've made it back faster! Also can definitely make it fun in the process. I'm sad with how negative an experience I had. For sure will be looking at another airline next time if nothing else.

That was a wonderful read... wish it could go on longer, but with a Happier (oh wait, wrong coast!) more Magical ending!

Out of curiosity - which airline? We're flying down to Anaheim in September. They've already moved our flights up 3 hrs going and coming back. Your TR is making me more than a bit nervous!!

Did your parents get their meds??

That was a wonderful read... wish it could go on longer, but with a Happier (oh wait, wrong coast!) more Magical ending!

Out of curiosity - which airline? We're flying down to Anaheim in September. They've already moved our flights up 3 hrs going and coming back. Your TR is making me more than a bit nervous!!

Did your parents get their meds??

Thank you! It was United Airlines. I don't plan to fly with them anymore if I can avoid it. I know some of flying is just bad luck and such, but customer service, agent availability, and not upcharging for everything was well under their control.

Oh one other random note about the flight. There was no TV on the chair backs. Maybe I'm spoiled but that kinda sucked. But ok they say you can use your phone to watch their selections of movies. Well that's annoying as now I'm going to kill my phone battery and can't do anything else on it (I like to go through pictures for example while on the flight watching a show). So ok let's try that. They tell you to sign into the united onboard wifi. You have to pay for it, but you can get to the main page for free basically. Alright here we are, oh now it says to load up the United App to watch the shows. But wait I don't have the app. Well I do, but there is 4 of us, and we don't have 4 phones, and only 1 of the phones we do have, have the app. So, ok no big deal, you should be able to download the FREE United App on the FREE United WiFi to watch the FREE United Entertainment..... right??? Nope sorry. You cannot download their own app on their own wifi on their own plane to watch their own entertainment. If you don't download the app before boarding the flight, you are SOL.

Yea, we kind of gave up on United a long time ago due to some bad experiences and after they decided to allow your miles in their mileage program to expire if not used within a year. We're retired and only fly once or twice a year. Delta also has given us some problems, but they have the best mileage program and your miles never expire so far.

I'm out on United unless no other options. They asked me for a survey after the trip. Ooooh that was fun to write! I wasn't nasty, but I did explain how it was not handled well and my disappointment. I guess they didn't care, because I never heard back from it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter