Let's talk about my trip from 7/10 - 7/17 with a group of 9!

snickbar

Earning My Ears
Snick Family Trip Report

Days of 7/10 through 7/17 2021

Group of 9 from age 5 to age 71

I will speak primarily about myself (40), wife (38), and 2 kids (son age 5 & daughter age 7). Also in the group is my sister (40s), BIL (40s), and Niece (11). As well as my parents (70 & 71).

We all stayed at Pop Century. 3 rooms next to each other (2 were connecting).

This same group traveled to Disneyland about 4 years ago together, so I may compare the 2 once in a while.

There is so much I want to talk about. Let's get started!

Let's talk about Arriving!

We arrived at the Orlando airport about 1230pm on Saturday. We got to the hotel at 2pm. Everything went very smooth and fast. Luggage was ready for us pretty quickly. A man offered to help, so we tipped him and he grabbed a cart and led us on our way. No line to check in for Magical Express. We were the 2nd or 3rd stop to get dropped off. Overall an hour and half from landing to being at the hotel. I was very satisfied with this time frame.

Let's talk about the hotel!

We arrived at Pop Century about 2pm. The room was not ready until about 4:30, so there was a good amount of meandering around. My parents picked up the scooter they ordered (BP company). We hit the arcade for a while. Looked around in the gift shop. Got some snacks and drinks at the cafeteria. Arcade was fun (they enjoyed the ride simulator thing) but kids got bored after a bit. The food was pretty decent, although we were starving so anything would have been good! We got cinnamon roll, tie dye cheesecake, french fries, and a danish. My daughter loved the tie dye cheesecake! I really enjoyed the fries, they were good here all week long. Also in this time, my Walmart delivery came with snacks/drinks/breakfast for the week. Finally the room was ready!

Let's talk about the room!

Preferred room in the 70s section building 10. At first I didn't understand why this was a preferred room. It seemed just a tad long from the lobby (and thus the bus) as well as a little ways from the skyliner. But when I looked at the map, I realized how much further other buildings are! Also I can't complain as this was a "free upgrade" from All Star Sports hotel being closed. The room was pretty cool honestly. Beds were very comfortable! I normally don't say that easily too. I liked the little coffee station (though I brought my own small keurig machine) and made that the little breakfast nook. Filled the fridge with drinks, replacing as needed. I'll mention here that I ordered way too many drinks, considering the fact that nobody wants to lug multiple bottles of water or Gatorade or whatever with them in the park. I wasn't thinking about that when I ordered so much. Thankfully the room service staff took some of the extras at the end of the week. Anyways, the shower was strong and hot, the toilet flushed well, the sink was fine, the lighting was bright, the TV was large... My favorite thing may have been how high the beds are (even the pull down bed) so that you can put your luggage under it. Saves so much space! All in all I loved the room even if it was a bit tight for 4 people. My parents, even with the scooter in the room, had way more room with the 2nd bed up and being used as a table. The kids joined them (connecting rooms) to eat at the table most mornings. Room service seemed to only come twice during our stay. Didn't really mind at all. I brought garbage bags we used and disposed of, and if we needed towels we asked for them if we saw staff with a cart.

Let's talk about transportation!

Ok so the Skyliner is awesome in my opinion but is not for everybody! I loved it. Its super fast, never waited long at all, even at peak hours such as park open/close or after Epcot fireworks. Maybe I got lucky. There were also times we rode with my parents with a scooter onboard, and that went smoothly as well. Sometimes it was slightly faster and sometimes it was slightly slower than the regular gondolas. Basically, it was fast no matter what. The only thing is when it stops and sometimes you swing midair... yeah some may not like that! I think the longest we were stopped was 2 minutes but it felt much longer! The line for the bus in the morning would get pretty big. We'd be there an hour and half before park opening, and there would be a crowd. But they stuff you in there, and there is also another bus waiting to pull up as well. We had extremely good luck with buses. Always getting on the first or second (which is really just the 2nd first bus in a way) every morning. And never waiting long for one when leaving a park. The longest wait was about 15 minutes from Hollywood Studios to go to Magic Kingdom one day. We must have just missed it because the line was empty. Even after MK fireworks, we got right on a bus. They just keep sending them!

Let's talk about maybe the only negative of transportation!

I don't want to dwell on this, but it has to be mentioned. A lot of bus drivers are not exactly friendly. This doesn't go for all. But I encountered zero unfriendly staff anywhere my entire stay except for a few bus drivers. Yelling at people to move all the way back, more back, even more back. Or to move strollers out of the way so others can stand there. Things like that. A lot of passive aggressiveness or snarky comments. This seemed to be the case way more with the morning drivers. Also one morning we got on the first bus to go to Animal Kingdom... only he went to Magic Kingdom. This wasted a half hour of everybody's time plus got the entire bus in a foul mood. I noticed it about halfway through and tried to say something, but was too far back in the bus to get word there in time. To end this section on a positive, I will mention there was one bus driver (from HS to MK) who was hilarious, cracking jokes the entire ride. He seriously put on a full routine. I missed his name, but it made for a memorable and uplifting ride.

Let's talk about the itinerary!

So that there's an idea of how the week went...

7/10 arrive at hotel, get situated, go to boardwalk for dinner and dessert

7/11 MK rope drop, stay until fireworks

7/12 HS rope drop, do as much as possible all day, Oga's after park close

7/13 Epcot rope drop, do as much as possible all day, stay for fireworks

7/14 HS rope drop, do what we didn't the first time, park hop to MK later on

7/15 AK rope drop, do as much as possible all day, stay until park close, MK park hop

7/16 MK rope drop, take it easy doing a few things still left, go back to hotel for pool

7/17 Breakfast at hotel, Pool, go to airport

To Be Continued...

That’s awesome … I always feel they are pushing the preferred pool rooms into the former preferred no view… etc…
Is 70s still Kinda close to lobby and bus stop?
Will not stay at POP unless I am Pool Preferred but I am just comparing this confirmed rate for 12/22-1/1 New Years Day booked last March according to my Disney Visa statement.
10 days and no discount the room is $323plus tax = $356.63 per night.
I am shocked but then again Not Much is available. I guess everybody has $$$ this year and wants to travel.

It's closer than 80's and 90's, but then again, they basically have their own pool, which 70's does not. In fact all building groups have their own pool except for this group. So it's definitely strange to be considered a preferred location. But like I said, I can't complain as we were originally supposed to be in All Star Sports!

Yes, I think many people are revenge vacationing and places especially Disney have been and will be very busy.

I'm looking forward to reading more.

I can't believe what people are paying for rooms @ WDW. Disney just keeps increasing its prices, yet their rooms continue to fill & their parks just get more crowded every year. We're going right after Thanksgiving, which use to be one of the less crowded times to visit. Now I'm dreading what we'll encounter.

Let's talk about the Boardwalk!

We took the Skyliner to Epcot for our first "ride" of the trip. Got there about 5pm. Walked to the Boardwalk (closer than I thought). It was very hot and we were very tired from traveling. But we were hungry! Problem is, the boardwalk was a bit empty and dead. I did my research and knew Big River Grill & Brewery was open and took walk ups. I didn't realize it was at the end of the boardwalk or that there would be an hour wait or that it would be so hot or that there would be almost nothing else to do while waiting. We walked in the one gift shop for a bit but that didn't take much time. Thankfully some water and french fries held us over. We thought about bailing and just getting a pizza, but the wait for a pizza was over an hour! Thankfully our table was ready in about 45 minutes. After dinner, we met up with friends of ours who also happened to be on a Disney vacation this week at Boardwalk Ice Cream. We all had super cute mickey mouse sundaes (they use oreos for ears and a cherry for the tail) and chatted for a little while. After that we walked back to the room, met up with the rest of the family, and then tried to decompress and get ready for our first big day.

Let's talk about Big River Grill & Brewery!

I was grateful this was open for walk ins. Originally we were supposed to have a party of 9 this day but 3 arrived late so it became 6 for this meal. However, for months I was searching for a reservation for 9 and didn't have much luck. (We didn't want to do Disney Springs). Of course if I knew it would be 6, maybe it would've been easier, but you know how traveling goes (and if you don't, just wait until the end of this report). Anyways, I had the turkey club which was very good. It came with potato chips which I didn't really touch but were fine. Kids meals were kinda blah. Somebody in our party said their meal was dry. My wife and I really enjoyed our drinks. I don't even know what I ordered (took the waitresses recommendation) but it was very good. All in all, this place did its job of feeding 6 hungry travelers, though it's not exactly anywhere to run to. I liked the setting of being in a brewery. My kids enjoyed seeing the big drink contraptions that were visible from the window as well.

Let's talk about being in Disney World with a group of 9!

This is a challenge. I'm not going to lie. I was the ringleader as the main Disney fanatic and obsessive planner. Touring Plans app in hand, message boards read all day, etc. I've been planning this trip for 2 years (originally planned for March 2020), and even though things were constantly changing in this almost-post-covid world, I was totally ready for anything. But its tough. Some people need to use the bathroom more than others. Some people need to take breaks more than others. Some people think a certain ride is scary or will make them sick. Some people want to stop to take pictures or wait for a photographer. Some people get hungry. Some people get hangry! Everybody gets hot and tired... Some people complain about certain things out of anyone's control. You can fill in the rest of your own "some people's" here. So we moved a little slower than planned and there was even a little drama here and there. But overall I'm pleased with how things went. Also, most places were impossible to get dining reservations for 9. They had to be split up with 2 groups, 5 & 4. All my reservations were this way (for the exact same time as well). In 1 instance they let us sit together anyway. In some we sat tables next to each other. In 1 instance we were quite far away. Overall, dining could be difficult, but we actually made it work well! One more thing to consider is the sitting arrangements for some rides, try to plan that out while waiting in line! Some rides seat 2 per seat, some 3 per seat, some 4.. you get the picture. Do yourself a favor and chat it out real quick while in line. A few times a quick google search of "how many people fit on the Frozen ride" was all it took to figure it out. I could write a lot more about the big group dynamic, so any questions, feel free to ask.

To Be Continued...

Definitely taking tips with your large group! I'll have a group of 9-13 in August for my bachelorette!

Definitely taking tips with your large group! I'll have a group of 9-13 in August for my bachelorette!

Hah thanks! Hope it's useful. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. It was a little stressful for me, as the one everyone looked to on "what to do next" yet also trying to balance all the breaks and slower pace occurring. For example there were plenty of times where the time between getting off 2 rides was a full hour even though the queue was only 20 minutes. But slow walking pace plus bathroom breaks plus snack breaks and etc were a factor. Had to pivot a few times, but all the research and knowledge learned ahead of time allowed decisions to be made quickly and effectively.

Congrats and good luck to you as well!

Let's talk about the first day in Magic Kingdom!

We woke up early and were in Magic Kingdom at 7:10am. We planned to rope drop 7 Dwarves. Were at the front of the crowd by Cheshire's cafe. The crowd went well over the bridge, couldn't see where it ended. Some people got antsy as it was a bit of a wait until 9am, but it was worth hanging in there. Promptly at 9 they let us go and we all scuffled over to the ride. Basically just walked through the queue at a leisurely pace. My first time on this ride, it was very fun though not a top favorite. Off by 9:25. Hit up Peter Pan, this one took a little while but still happy to do it early. My daughter has always had a crush on Peter Pan so we enjoy this one. Also I never went through this new queue, and it was really cool to go through the house, and see Tinkerbell causing mischief. Added a lot to the experience. We got off the ride at 10:05. Saw the Tinkerbell float go by which was cool timing. Went to Pirates which is a big hit with my family, although it's so much better in Disneyland, which is a shame. Also they take the picture at a very odd time! We were off at 10:45. Went to Splash Mountain, off at 11:45. Do I need to keep doing these times? I think I'll stop after the first few each morning. Like I said, there were various bathroom/snack/picture breaks so we didn't move fast. But the lines were all very manageable. For example Splash had a 60 minute wait posted and it was only 22 or so. My kids sat first row and just adored Splash. Their faces after the big drop are just something else to remember. This made me happy as it's my favorite ride in MK as well. While walking we saw the Mickey float go by. Had some more snacks (pretzels and churros). Went on Thunder Mountain, everyone loves that one. This is probably the best roller coaster in all of Disney World actually. Kids played in the Tiki spray area for a bit. Went on Jungle Cruise, saw some of the new and incomplete scenes. I don't usually like this ride, but the skipper was pretty good so that helped. We had a little time before our meal reservations, so we did the Flying Carpets ride. Yeah you can skip this one, but I guess the kids liked it. Still had a little bit of time, so we did the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House. I like the Tarzan Tree House out in Disneyland way better. This one felt bland and didn't have any great views of the park. It was lacking in general. Finally it's now time for our 2:15 Reservation for Skippers Canteen.

Let's talk about Skippers Canteen!

We had 2 reservations for 2:15, and they let us all sit together at 1 big table. That was cool. We sat in the main section, which I know is a little less interesting but nobody seemed to mind. Only our server cracked any jokes with us. Our waitress was very by the books. I ordered the Punch Lime Punch. The table got Pao de Queijo for an appetizer. These were very nice, light, yummy. I ordered the "Hardy Har Char" Siu Pork which was very good! The meat was very tender, the sauce very flavorful, and the rice helped fill me up. Also tasted a few of the other meals, which were all good. Everyone enjoyed their meal here. Everyone was happy. Before heading out, I went through the secret bookcase to hit the restroom and checked out the butterfly room. Nice details in there.

Let's talk about the rest of our first Magic Kingdom Day!

As we were heading out of Skippers Canteen, there was a little bit of rain. Ponchos came on for the first of only a few times this week! We went over to Small World, which showed a 60 minute wait! But my Lines app said it was way shorter and you can tell it would be. About 10 minutes later we were on a boat. Who doesn't love this ride? I think it's better here in Florida, though I would enjoy the characters from Disneyland to make it here too. The rain was over when we came out, so we hit Haunted Mansion. This is a favorite of many, though my 5 year old son who absolutely loves zombies and ghosts and monsters yet doesn't love the dark didn't love it. Strange, but so it goes. Gift shop and pin trading after that. The gift shop is small but love the theming in there. Afterwards we went over to Gaston's Tavern for a delicious snack. 2 brews, a cinnamon roll, and a grey stuff cupcake. This was basically an entire meal between the 4 of us! Loved the theming in the tavern. The cinnamon roll was heavenly. The brew was tastier than expected. This was one of my favorite snack breaks of the trip. After this, we did Little Mermaid. The line seemed to take way longer than it should've, but it was gorgeous to walk through. The one in Disneyland doesn't compare. Really enjoyed the seashells in the floor, and the shipwreck debris, and especially the little interactive crabs and Scuttle towards the end. The ride is kinda meh but my kids love Little Mermaid so it's a hit. After this ride we went over to the People Mover. I don't think everyone in the group of 9 "got" this ride. But I enjoy it, and considering we all just had a big snack, it was good to do something simple. Going through the Space Mountain part, my son got scared of the darkness, and said he no longer wanted to do Space Mountain. This was sad because it was one of the top 3 rides he was saying he was looking forward to doing before we got here. The other 2 being Millennium Falcon and Tower of Terror (which now I'm worried about as well). After that, we went to Buzz Lightyear. Kids loved shooting the targets. I think this one can be better but it does its job well. By this time it was getting late. We wanted to fit one more ride in, but decided to just get a snack (Mickey ice creams bars, sandwiches, and cotton candy) and find a spot for the fireworks. Glad we did! We got a prime spot in the middle of the hub and really only had to wait about 45 minutes for the fireworks. I never saw this show before and wow was it absolutely incredible. I saw a little video of it here and there, but nothing compares to being front and center for it. Kids were tired but were troopers. And once the show started they were totally in awe! I was afraid leaving directly after the fireworks (especially being so far in front) would be a nightmare, but we kinda just walked at a steady if not crowded pace all the way out with no issues. Bus came pretty soon after, and back to the room we all went! This was a very productive and great day.

To Be Continued...

We've been several times with DD, DSIL, & 3 DGK's, but never in the summer months. I sympathize with anybody who has to go during the really hot and rainy weather times of the year. Our DGK's were always taken out of school when they were younger, but their teacher's always gave them work to do while at WDW.

Now that our DGK's are all adults, even if they are along, our go to for a meal on a late arrival day is the Big River Grill & Brewery. I love their Mac & Cheese entre and they also have good burgers. Their beer selection for a brewery, however, is just so-so. If we arrive early enough our first choice even when we are a large group is Raglan Road at DS. You can't beat their fish & chips with a flight of International beers.

Also, congratulations! Even with the struggle of shepherding nine people through your first day at MK, you seemed to have gotten a lot done.

Still Enjoying your trip report…
After seeing the Olympic Opening Night Celestial Orbit in the Sky… why doesn’t Disney just use drone technology? Death Star in the Sky at HS
Intel would sponsor … and Disney+Bundle

I'm enjoying reading your trip report. We've done several trips with thirteen or more family members. Always fun and we've learned through the years that not everyone wants to do the same thing at the same time and that's okay. Can't wait to hear more.

Now that our DGK's are all adults, even if they are along, our go to for a meal on a late arrival day is the Big River Grill & Brewery. I love their Mac & Cheese entre and they also have good burgers. Their beer selection for a brewery, however, is just so-so. If we arrive early enough our first choice even when we are a large group is Raglan Road at DS. You can't beat their fish & chips with a flight of International beers.

Also, congratulations! Even with the struggle of shepherding nine people through your first day at MK, you seemed to have gotten a lot done.

Thanks, yes by the end of the week, I can safely say I did mostly everything my family sought out to do. The rest of the group, maybe not, but also they didn't care as much.

I enjoyed my club sandwich, though it sounds like the fish and chips may have been even better! Hopefully more opens on the Boardwalk soon because it was a bit dead which was unfortunate.

I'm enjoying reading your trip report. We've done several trips with thirteen or more family members. Always fun and we've learned through the years that not everyone wants to do the same thing at the same time and that's okay. Can't wait to hear more.

Glad you like it! Yes not everyone is as into everything as everyone else and that's ok. Our plan was to basically get to the park together and do the first bundle of rides (which usually included the big headliners) together. Then after our lunch/dinner reservation, feel free to go off your own ways. I think this worked out best. It resulted in slightly busier mornings to the afternoons, but then the rest of the day including the night was slower paced and you can just do whatever you pleased.

Let's talk about our morning at Hollywood Studios!

Woke up early yet again, had breakfast, and landed Boarding Group 5 for Rise of the Resistance! Very excited for this. I don't think the group of 9 understood how proud I was of that. Took the Skyliner over to HS and joined a small crowd waiting to go to Slinky Dog Dash. While we waited, we took some pictures in front of an empty Mickey theater (what do we call it now?) and put on sunscreen and etc. Once again, we were towards the front of the large crowd. They let us start moving at about 8:30 and we all went to the ride, mostly just walking slowly through the queue. I've never been on this one, and loved looking at the toys all over the place. In fact this park is almost not at all like I remember it (most previous visit 2006) so it was exciting. The ride was fantastic! More impressed with it than 7 Dwarves. The kids had a total blast, as did the rest of the group. We got off at about 8:50am and it was already past our time to get on ROTR. We headed over to Galaxy's Edge. I wanted to take pictures of everything but knew I'd have more time later in the night. We stopped for souvenir coke bottles though first and chatted with Rey as she did some scouting on the bridge. In the line at 9:14, and once again, just loving everything there is to look at. My group did not know what to expect really so they were in for a treat. (SPOILERS) Each "preshow" got better than the last. Cool to see the Rey hologram and BB8 animatronic. Better to be in a ship that gets captured. Best to see the Massive hangar you go into with Storm Troopers and ships. And most fun to get berated by a soldier telling you it's the worst single file line he's ever seen. And exciting to be "saved" with the door getting sliced open. And the ride itself has breathtaking moment after another. The whole group couldn't get enough of how great this ride was. The look on my son's face was priceless. Everyone agreed this is the best ride / experience they've ever been on and it's not close. Though strangely, it wasn't anyone's "favorite" at the end of the trip. Personal preferences are different than acknowledging something as the best! Oh this was all done at 9:38am.

Let's talk about more at Hollywood Studios!

After ROTR, we kept the Star Wars mood going and went to Star Tours. The line was only listed at about 10 minutes but took forever as we waited for a scooter accessible ride. That meant it took way longer and kinda disrupted the flow we had going. A lot of the group did not like this ride. My kids loved it, but not the older members. Made some nauseous. So afterwards, we got some food. I had a Ronto Wrap which is something I've been wanting to try, and it was delicious! Others got the same with various opinions. After eating, we looked around Galaxy's Edge a little bit then headed over to the Muppets. Always been a big fan of the Muppets. It's slightly dated but well done. The line for Mickey And Minnies Railroad was posted at 70 minutes, but we got on anyway thinking it'll be less. It started to rain while we waited. This line kinda stinks, as its right out in the middle of the pavement in the sun. There are some umbrellas but they don't do much. If the sun is out, it's way too hot. If it's raining, you're basically exposed. Thankfully rain didn't take too long to go away and the line was only about 40 minutes. This was the 2nd longest wait we had all trip, so can't complain. The preshow was adorable, everyone was in awe of it. The ride is super cute and fun. A little frantic. We had the last car though, which I feel we missed out on things because of that. But no one seemed to notice or mind. But it made me want to ride it again (which never happened). After this ride the group split up a bit. Some of us (including my family of 4) went over to Tower of Terror. My kids for whatever reason had this listed as a top 3 ride they wanted to go on. They are brave! I love this ride plus it's Guardian's equivalent out in California. The wait said an hour but it was only half that. I was worried how my son would do since he didn't like the dark part of People Mover yesterday. But they both loved it so much! The picture we got from this ride is incredible. All happy and excited faces. They immediately wanted to do it again. But it was almost time for our food reservation. We did some shopping. I got the kids lightsabers which they immediately fake fighted with all through the park. We arrived at Sci Fi Drive In Theater for our reservations and it was just about to rain as our tables were called.

Sounds like you have the right RD crew, our group of 9 arrives Saturday so I'm excited to read your TR.

We definitely needed coffee, and generally moved a little slower as a group than if it were just my family of 4... but yeah overall everyone was a good sport and stuck with the rope drop plan. If you could move a little faster than we did, you could get even more done in the mornings.

Good luck on your trip! If you have any specific questions, let me know!

Let's talk about our morning at Hollywood Studios!
Woke up early yet again, had breakfast, and landed Boarding Group 5 for Rise of the Resistance! Very excited for this. I don't think the group of 9 understood how proud I was of that.
wow! I am proud for you. I dream of getting a BG 5.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter