Let's make a "Firsts-Timers" Master Tip Sheet!

I am subscribing, but wanted to add travel tips for babies/toddlers in diapers.

In a gallon sized ziplock, I pack diapers, small pack (or ziplock) of wipes, packet of diaper cream or aquaphor sample, small container corn starch, disposable changing table cover and hand sanitizer. When diaper change time, its a grab and go item from bag/back pack and no forgetting something or lost in bottom of bag. Put extra diapers in back pack and refill zip lock as needed.
Oh and you can also put sunblock for baby in there too and when you change its a good time to reapply to little ones too(apply all over since many light weight clothes allow sun thru.)

Sunglasses for even smaller kids, my DS is sensitive and when he is sleepy in the stroller he hates sun in his eyes.

Get cheaper disney logo-ed things home and give to kids when in disney, then save money for a souvenir thats really worth it. Kids love Tshirts and towels just because they see them in disney but if they say disney/cars/princesses ... they will be thrilled and not think about where you get them from(walmart, target or even disney store home). Disney store Tshirt is on sale about $5, rather then $15-20 in parks

This is a Great thread .... I read most of it ..... but I do not think I saw this on here.....

I am very fair skinned, and I burn very easily, even when using sunscreen. About a month before we leave, I make a few appointments and go to the local tanning bed. I get a good base tan, nothing dark, just some color. This helps so much. I always used to burn when I went to Florida, NOT ANYMORE.....:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

This is a Great thread .... I read most of it ..... but I do not think I saw this on here.....

I am very fair skinned, and I burn very easily, even when using sunscreen. About a month before we leave, I make a few appointments and go to the local tanning bed. I get a good base tan, nothing dark, just some color. This helps so much. I always used to burn when I went to Florida, NOT ANYMORE.....:cool1: :cool1: :cool1:

Ok,Ok!!, wait a minute I read on another thread that was a Disney Freebie!:rotfl2:

All are great ideas, just finished reading all 20 pages and carrying all the tips I didn't have over to my "WDW master tip sheet" that has been wonderful in planning our trips and shared with everyone we know planning WDW trips.

One very major tip that no one has mentioned - Everyone protects their credit cards and tickets from lost/theft but what about our most valued possession?
Before leaving the room, take pictures of all your children (might want to include adults as well) in the clothes they are wearing that day with your digital camera and/or cell phone. If for any reason you become separated from your children, you have an updated picture with an accurate clothes description if you should ever need it. Hopefully you will be deleting the pictures that night to replace the next morning. If for some reason you were to ever become separated from a child, the panic attack you would have would probably prevent you from giving an accurate description to a CM or security.

Iteach: Great point about your most vasuble possions. Since I frist brought my DS to Dl back when he was 8(now 15) we got a state Idea,and still has It (up to date of course),we also bought him a cell phone along with all contac Info with him. You can not take enough percatutions:goodvibes

Another easy idea: For young children (or any age I guess) make a necklace using alphabet and number beads for important info, for example your cell phone number you will carry in the parks in case you are separated. Instruct child to show it to a CM who can contact you.

I've also seen mention on multiple different threads about these ID tags that attach to your child's shoelaces.

Hi. im new to the disboards! i've been to wdw 5 times. im getting married in may and we will be having our honeymoon at wdw:yay: Im so excited!! but hes never been:sad2: soo any ideas for first time guys??
also my DM..as crazy as she is..is disboards CRAZY..lol:woohoo:
.:)

So DM should be able to give you lots of advice for a first-timer. It depends on what kind of guy he is what will appeal to him. Hopefully he's fun-loving and outgoing and you can get a set of bride and groom mickey hats and get lots of really cute photos from the photopass peole. (If he's reluctant, remind him that you're never going to see the people again who see you at the Park -- and your relatives will love the photos).

If he hasn't ever ridden a Segway, there's a choice of two different rides now. They're kind of spendy, but really fun. I did the one in Epcot and it was really neat being in World Showcase before it opened. I'm reluctant to recommend the young adult "drinking your way around the world" because it's so expensive (but I've always wanted to that one myself!) and not compatible with wandering around with my DGS. The Keys to the Kingdom might be interesting to him, if he likes to know how things work (it didn't spoil the magic for me at all).

Check in at Guest Relations about the "What Will You Celebrate" thing they're doing this year. I think you'll at least get a honeymooner's button which will add fun to your visit.

My usual advice is just relax and enjoy it -- you can't do everything and see it all in one trip (so have a basic plan, be flexible, and prioritize). And read everything you can on disboards!

And Congratulations -- have a wonderful time!

Thanks for all the tips. I am very excited about our first trip as a family. I went for Magic Music Days when I was in HS about 16 years ago but this is our first family trip. Please keep all the tips coming.

So, I am wanting to ship some of our "comfort items" from home to help my children sleep...is there a way to ship your things home from the resorts?

I am compiling a list of all the tips on this board. If someone has already done this please let me know to save time. Thanks!

Not sure if its been mentioned, but we are brining a Camelbak. Its like a backpack that holds liquid. We will fill it with ice and water and we can suck on it all day. Thus saving on buying drinks or using snack credits for sodas

classic_camelbak.jpg

I do not like to carry ANYTHING in the parks...DH & DS13 wore cargo shorts and we slipped the camera & ponchos in their pockets. I only put my card in my pocket. We sunscreened up before we left, and threw some sunscreen wipes in his pockets, too for a reapply later.

We sat down before the trip after viewing the DVD and our Passporter. We then had everyone list their top 3 "must dos" at each park. Using Passporter & Unofficial guide's plans, we created a plan for each park, being sure to include everyone's desires. FANTASTIC. We barely waited in line (20 min. was long).
The day at AK we veered from our plan based on advice from a friend we ran into...and it messed up our whole day! We felt like we couldn't get it all in!

We were there a week, and could not even begin to get everything in! We are so excited for the next trip to get in much of what we missed! (luckily we skipped alot of shows, and my dad is going along this time--shows will be just up his alley)

My resort tips for first timers:
The very first time you go to the food court, buy a refillable mug. You can save a lot of money, even just by grabbing a coffee to go on your way to the park.
Try to visit the food courts and restaurants of other resorts (easy if you're staying at the All Star Resorts, which are within walking distance of each other) Each one has different offerings. They are also less crowded than park food courts, so eat at one if you're between parks rather than trying to catch a meal at a crowded park.
Get a card holder for your Key to the World (KTTW) card. Use your KTTW card for everything.
Familiarize yourself with what is available at the resort gift shop - you will feel silly if you go outside "the world" just to get something that was in the gift shop all along.
Spend time at your resort, especially if you have kids. My daughter says that being at a Disney Resort is like being in Disney World all the time. All of the resorts have childrens' activities. Just hanging out the hotel would be a great vacation for most kids.
As soon as you check in, walk your family around to the places you need to find, using your resort map. The Disney Resorts are HUGE compared to most hotels.

My park tips:
As soon as you get to a park, rent a locker. Unload whatever you can do without for a few hours. Don't plan to go back to your car for things -- it takes too long. This isn't really even an option at the Magic Kingdom. Keep your receipt for your locker rental (I keep it with my KTTW card) so you can get your deposit back and so that you can get a free locker rental at another park if you park hop.
Make a note of where your car is parked. I actually write it on a piece of paper that I keep with my KTTW card. Remember, the parking lots are so big that they have trams to take guests from their parking space to the front gate.
Park hop if the park you are in is so crowded you are no longer having fun. Epcot can have huge crowds but not feel crowded. The others can feel so crowded that you can't move. We have left Magic Kingdom to go to Epcot for a few hours and returned to find most of the crowds gone.
Afternoon naps are important, not just for rest but because parks are often most crowded in the afternoons.
Change your shoes throughout the day to avoid getting blisters. If you do get one, take care of it right away.
If you're travelling with kids, don't do Disney as if you're never going back again and absolutely must see everything. Let them go on Space Ranger Spin 5 times in a row if they want to. I have yet to go on Pirates with my daughter - we're just saving it for next time.
If you must buy souvenirs, try to get something that will last for them eg. a sweatshirt that will fit for a few years, not a few months. You don't have to buy everything on your first trip. We decided to buy Disney shirts on our first trip and mouse ears on our 2nd trip, and just brought them back with us.

My number one Disney tip? If you have a little girl, let her wear a princess dress everywhere that she wants to in Disney World (you might want to have a shorts and shirt under, but still, let her wear it) Where else can a little girl be called "princess" every day? :love:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter