Let the Wookiee Win: An August Solo Adventure! *Updated 11/17*

Wow what a great time at AK despite the rain!
It really was! :thumbsup2

I love making friends in line or at a lounge :rolleyes1 or whatever. It's always nice to have kind folks around enjoying their trips too.
I couldn't agree more ::yes::

FOP really is amazing. I can't wait to ride it again (this time with the patch) so that I can fully enjoy it.
I thought about how I would have done on FoP without the patch... and I'm glad I had it. Hopefully your next ride will be all that much better with the patch!

And Satuli looks really appealing - sounds like the pods might not be the way to go, but holy cow the ambiance and the view!
Right?!

Love love love your dinosaur photo! Great updates!
:laughing: Thanks, I love posing for the camera in that ride! Thank you! :goodvibes

Hello, friends! Yikes, has it really been over two weeks since my last update? :crazy2:

No. I have a time machine.
I just set it for whenever you post.

I'll blame school. And family.

The usual suspects.

Not that I'd have it any other way, well the part about my family at least.

:hug:

Only 5 more classes after this semester though!

Yay!

I snagged a RoL FP for 8:45pm.

Nice! I've heard pretty good things about it.

At this point, the skies were looking pretty ominous and by 6pm there was a 90% chance of rain (

Uh, oh...

this is important for later

Double Uh, oh...

I did race through Pandora a bit but didn't really take pictures because of the rain.

Looks like that forecast was pretty accurate.

And...

ak_dinosaurride_20170820_8086852603-copy-jpg.274269

... you're welcome.

Thanks! :lmao:

the rain had picked up so I ducked under the Dino in Dinoland and pondered my plan.

So that's what that's for! Shelter!

I ultimately decided to cancel my RoL FP and instead head for ITTBAB, hoping the weather might improve.

Darn. Too bad.
But dry > wet.

Nav'i River was listed at 45 minutes so I settled in for the wait, noticing the queue was pretty darn cool.

Good to know. I don't have a FP for it.

I can't imagine the time, thought, and effort that went into every little detail (like everything Disney does).

Oh, good! Looking forward to it.

That said, it's probably a ride I only need to do every couple trips.

Also good to know.
I wonder how I'll like it?

Beautiful shot.

Now that looks interesting!

Aren't they pretty!? The bun is pretty good but I found it to be a bit... too... bun-y? Meaning there wasn't enough filling and therefore seemed to be pretty dry to me. And the filling was just okay, nothing spectacular. However, I was one of the final guests of the evening and I wonder if it wasn't just a bit dried out by that point? The chips, however, were excellent! Anywho...

So a mixed review.

Chips. I miss chips. Been almost two years now.

From there I sauntered up to the FoP FP queue and redeemed my entry for the MOST AMAZING RIDE EVER OMG,

Really!

I didn't care one bit that the wait time was listed at 90 minutes. Heck, I would have waited far longer to ride this again.

Wow! That is very high praise indeed!

This second ride was my first in the standby queue and holy cow is the queue an attraction in and of itself.

Good to know! I do have a FP for this,
but plan on rope dropping it too.

I made fast friends with two Universal CMs which made the wait time feel like nothing. When the FoP CM asks how many are in your group, one of the girls said "three" and then turned to me and said "Oh, I hope that's okay that we included you in our group?!"

Awww... :)

I honestly cannot say enough about this ride. And no description will begin to do it justice. It's just one of those rides you have to see to believe. I wouldn't think twice about waiting 2 hours for it if I had to.

Can't wait to try it!

Awesome Dinosaur photo!!! You have got me soo excited to try FoP, I really hope I'm able to nail a reasonable FP for it! Also, I'll assume you were able to ride that because the anti-nausea patch was still going strong?

Nice post! We just returned from a weekend that included our first Pandora experience, as well. We waited in the FOP line for about 90 minutes one afternoon (I think the posted time was 105) and agree it was worth the wait. I'm not sure I'd wait that long again, but maybe... There is just so much going on during the ride that there's no way to take it all in in one shot...not even close. It was also really nice that the Universal CM's included you in their group. Also, you seemed to take many of the same pictures in the queue that I did.

We were hoping to get back to AK at night to see what Pandora looks like in the dark, but didn't get a chance. Maybe next time...or maybe I will when doing a solo shot next March.

Next time, try one of the bowls in Satu'li...amazing!

I am really excited to finally get to check out Pandora in December!!! I wasn't sure at all about eating at Satu'li Canteen, but the more I see people post about it, the more curious I am becoming!! It's QS right?? I am NOT an adventurous eater at all, but sometimes Disney gets me to try something I'd never imagine eating anywhere else :)

Do you think I'm missing anything by having never seen Avatar?? I'm super excited to walk around Pandora, but wonder if it'll "mean anything" to me having zero clue what that movie is even about!! :rotfl2:

... I wasn't sure at all about eating at Satu'li Canteen, but the more I see people post about it, the more curious I am becoming!! It's QS right?? ...

Yes, it's QS.

...Do you think I'm missing anything by having never seen Avatar?? I'm super excited to walk around Pandora, but wonder if it'll "mean anything" to me having zero clue what that movie is even about!! :rotfl2:

There's probably lots of folks going to Pandora never having seen Avatar. No, you won't miss out. It's just a beautiful area. (But, I've seen Avatar has been playing quite a bit on TV lately -- might be TBS, not sure. Check it out if you have a few hours... (Yes, that long...its a long movie))

I'm glad the rain didn't stop your fun! What an awesome time in Pandora getting to ride both rides! And you made friends! Sounds like a great end to your day :)

Lovely report! I stumbled upon via a post on a post of a post that I. . .never mind. I have to say, those first two pics on SM and POTC are still making me chuckle. Spaced out on Space Mountain. Has a catchy ring to it. Also agree with you on the Nava'i, Navi'a'i, Navy--the new Splash Mountain minus the drop--ride. Richly detailed and relaxing but only worth an every third park visit attraction status.

When the FoP CM asks how many are in your group, one of the girls said "three" and then turned to me and said "Oh, I hope that's okay that we included you in our group?!" Of course! A benefit of going solo is that you can make friends with anyone!

Haha! I did a similar thing on a ride for Soarin (at DCA not Epcot). I was by myself and ended up talking to the couple behind me. We did standby and it was soooo slow! The FP:standby ratio was way off and we actually counted for every 10 FP there was 1 standby. The CM would let in 1-2 groups of people then empty out the FP line, then repeat. I realized if I had said I was solo they would have had to wait again for another round of FP so just said 3 and they were waved through with me! They were very appreciative. But of course right then they called for single riders so I got to skip the rest of the queue!

ak_dinosaurride_20170820_8086852603-copy-jpg.274269

... you're welcome.
The woman in the front row is HILARIOUS!!!

Nav'i River was listed at 45 minutes so I settled in for the wait, noticing the queue was pretty darn cool.

disney-august-2017-105-jpg.274261
That line looks so daunting...

disney-august-2017-116-jpg.274279

Aren't they pretty!? The bun is pretty good but I found it to be a bit... too... bun-y? Meaning there wasn't enough filling and therefore seemed to be pretty dry to me. And the filling was just okay, nothing spectacular. However, I was one of the final guests of the evening and I wonder if it wasn't just a bit dried out by that point? The chips, however, were excellent! Anywho...
I think those kind of buns are kind of dry in general. They are basically a bao bun, and I think they are always kind of dry. I haven't had the Pandora ones yet..

And no I didn't care one bit that the wait time was listed at 90 minutes.
You were lucky it was only 90 minutes!

And no description will begin to do it justice.
I think that is it, no matter how you explain it, it doesn't really do justice.

When the FoP CM asks how many are in your group, one of the girls said "three" and then turned to me and said "Oh, I hope that's okay that we included you in our group?!" Of course! A benefit of going solo is that you can make friends with anyone!
I love that! So nice. And I feel like something that only happens in Disney. Everyone is so much more friendly...

I was so far behind and didn't realize it :sad: I can't even keep up with my own PTR, so I have to go sit in the Dis corner!!

I didn't get the hype for old Soarin', thought the new one was just ok when I saw it opening week in California, and then became obsessed on my solo visit in May. It's the Soarin' Cycle for me!!

The queue for FoP looks so cool, but I don't know if I have what it takes to wait in the standby line. If I was alone again, I would do it, but with my mom? That's a no. We would never have enough to talk about and I'd want to hijack the flying banshee to get away, LOL!!

I really want to try the cheeseburger pods. Raeven said they taste like McDonalds cheeseburgers, and since her review I've been fixated on them!

I can't wait for the next update!! That I will actually keep up with!! :rotfl:

No. I have a time machine.
I just set it for whenever you post.
Well then my next update is coming right up :laughing:

Looks like that forecast was pretty accurate.
Oh, yeah... :faint:

;)

So that's what that's for! Shelter!
Right?! Who knew. :confused3

Darn. Too bad.
But dry > wet.
Indeed.

Beautiful shot.
Thanks! This might have been my favorite photo the whole trip. :goodvibes

Now that looks interesting!
Do you mean that in a good way or bad way? :laughing:

Chips. I miss chips. Been almost two years now.
No chips?!

Good to know! I do have a FP for this,
but plan on rope dropping it too.
Oh, yeah... you'll wanna do it as often as possible. That's a promise.

Awesome Dinosaur photo!!!
Thanks! :rotfl:

You have got me soo excited to try FoP, I really hope I'm able to nail a reasonable FP for it!
I hope you will, too! It really is just so incredible.

Also, I'll assume you were able to ride that because the anti-nausea patch was still going strong?
Yep! Those patches are just a miracle for me. I'll never travel to Disney again without them. Well worth the $70 I paid for them... and I still have about 6 days worth leftover for my January trip!

Nice post!
Thanks! :goodvibes

We just returned from a weekend that included our first Pandora experience, as well. We waited in the FOP line for about 90 minutes one afternoon (I think the posted time was 105) and agree it was worth the wait. I'm not sure I'd wait that long again, but maybe... There is just so much going on during the ride that there's no way to take it all in in one shot...not even close.
Right?! I went on a total of three times and each time I noticed something different.

It was also really nice that the Universal CM's included you in their group.
I know! I was so touched :goodvibes

Also, you seemed to take many of the same pictures in the queue that I did.
Wise minds think alike :thumbsup2

We were hoping to get back to AK at night to see what Pandora looks like in the dark, but didn't get a chance.
Pandora is definitely beautiful at night. You'll have to make a point to see it in the dark in the future.

Next time, try one of the bowls in Satu'li...amazing!
Yes! I was debating over one of those... definitely will in the future!

I am really excited to finally get to check out Pandora in December!!!
Yay!!! You won't be disappointed.

I wasn't sure at all about eating at Satu'li Canteen, but the more I see people post about it, the more curious I am becoming!! It's QS right??
Yep, QS! It wasn't my only stop at Satu'li on this trip... and my second experience was way better than the first :thumbsup2

Do you think I'm missing anything by having never seen Avatar??
Definitely not. I saw Avatar when it first came out years ago and - like anything else that didn't happen yesterday - I have little to no memory of it. It didn't take away from my experience whatsoever.

I'm super excited to walk around Pandora, but wonder if it'll "mean anything" to me having zero clue what that movie is even about!! :rotfl2:
It will, I promise! :laughing:

Please, please, please let there be multiple Bonnie Tyler references!
Ooooh, challenge accepted ;)

I'm glad the rain didn't stop your fun!
Sure didn't!

What an awesome time in Pandora getting to ride both rides! And you made friends! Sounds like a great end to your day :)
It really was a perfect ending to the day. :goodvibes

Lovely report! I stumbled upon via a post on a post of a post that I. . .never mind.
Yay! Thank you so much, so glad you're here :goodvibes

I have to say, those first two pics on SM and POTC are still making me chuckle. Spaced out on Space Mountain. Has a catchy ring to it.
Why didn't I think of that?! That's perfect! :thumbsup2 Would have made a great TR title, too :laughing:

Haha! I did a similar thing on a ride for Soarin (at DCA not Epcot). I was by myself and ended up talking to the couple behind me. We did standby and it was soooo slow! The FP:standby ratio was way off and we actually counted for every 10 FP there was 1 standby. The CM would let in 1-2 groups of people then empty out the FP line, then repeat. I realized if I had said I was solo they would have had to wait again for another round of FP so just said 3 and they were waved through with me! They were very appreciative. But of course right then they called for single riders so I got to skip the rest of the queue!
Aren't these moments at Disney the best?!

The woman in the front row is HILARIOUS!!!
I know! :rotfl: Half the fun of these photos is just seeing everyone else :laughing:

That line looks so daunting...
It was... but at least it was also pretty. And it didn't hurt I hand my trust Revenge of the Sith book to keep me occupied ;)

You were lucky it was only 90 minutes!
Agreed.

I think that is it, no matter how you explain it, it doesn't really do justice.
You're absolutely right ::yes::

I love that! So nice. And I feel like something that only happens in Disney. Everyone is so much more friendly...
I couldn't agree more - everyone's a friend at Disney :goodvibes

I was so far behind and didn't realize it :sad: I can't even keep up with my own PTR, so I have to go sit in the Dis corner!!
I can keep you company there... I'm often in it myself :laughing:

It's the Soarin' Cycle for me!!
:rotfl:

The queue for FoP looks so cool, but I don't know if I have what it takes to wait in the standby line. If I was alone again, I would do it, but with my mom? That's a no. We would never have enough to talk about and I'd want to hijack the flying banshee to get away, LOL!!
HAHAHA Yeah, it's sometimes easier to hit up the long waits solo, believe it or not. I can keep myself occupied just reading a book.

I really want to try the cheeseburger pods. Raeven said they taste like McDonalds cheeseburgers, and since her review I've been fixated on them!
So funny that you said that because Raeven's report made me really want to try these because Mickey D cheeseburgers are a guilty pleasure of mine. But it was almost closing time and I think maybe they'd just been sitting out a while. I'd give it another go in the future, but will first try some of the other menu items.

Well then my next update is coming right up :laughing:

::yes::

Right?! Who knew. :confused3

Those imagineers think of everything!

Thanks! This might have been my favorite photo the whole trip. :goodvibes

Not surprised! It's really good!

Do you mean that in a good way or bad way? :laughing:

Always good.

No chips?!

No chips.

Oh, yeah... you'll wanna do it as often as possible. That's a promise.

I believe you. I've been hearing of two hour waits.

Hi Tracey

tumblr_on2rarfRv41qfk4zbo2_r1_500.gif

Seen you around the boards and have found your TR.

disney-august-2017-025-jpg.265111

Great smile and cute top.

I was having dinner later that night with Su-Lynn and Steve! Yay @chunkymonkey & Steve.
Now on to catch up with the next 7 pages.

Now that I've caught up.

Anyone else think it kinda looks like Su-Lynn is wearing some fabulously colonial-themed ears?! :laughing:
LOL yes yes I did before I even read that you wrote it.

Good thing you passed on love interest #1. I'm not sure he'd be into the whole matching shirts thing:-)
Kari:rotfl2:

Instead, I headed to a favorite AK ride - Dinosaur! It was listed at 15 minutes but I just walked right on. :thumbsup2
Love when that happens!

That's the only downside to a FP, you miss the immersive level of detail Disney puts into the queues.

I was really excited to try this place and was quite intrigued by the cheeseburger pods, so I gave these suckers a whirl.
I loved the concept of the pods too, but like you, found the execution lacking. I ate there right at 12:00 and there was just too much bun for the amount of filling.

MOST AMAZING RIDE EVER OMG,
Absolutely!!!!!! As I had mentioned to you when we talked about FoP, I was so overcome, I actually cried! On a ride! It was that good.

I made fast friends with two Universal CMs which made the wait time feel like nothing. When the FoP CM asks how many are in your group, one of the girls said "three" and then turned to me and said "Oh, I hope that's okay that we included you in our group?!" Of course! A benefit of going solo is that you can make friends with anyone!
You are a pretty easy person to make friends with! :)

A benefit of going solo is that you can make friends with anyone!

So true!! I love that you met Universal CM's lol. What were they doing visiting the competition lol? I'm sure there were some interesting conversations while you waited!

Looks like you had a great evening despite the rain. Sorry those cheeseburger pods weren't great, they sure looked good. I would have loved to try some of the food there but my DD wanted something more mainstream when we were there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter