Leprosy outbreak… Is WDW safe?

Cfabar1

DIS Veteran
CDC is reporting a SURGE in Leprosy cases in Central Florida…

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4129366-leprosy-cases-surging-in-central-florida-cdc/

Quote: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said that Central Florida has accounted for 81 percent of reported cases in the state and almost one-fifth of reported cases nationwide.

Is it still safe to visit Disney? I’m curious if they have a plan for this or not….
It's ridiculously hard to catch leprosy (Hansen's Disease). It takes prolonged, close exposure to an infected person's nose and/or throat discharges. Best bet is to avoid contact with armadillos, more so than any humans. Oh, and only 1 in 10 infected people are contagious (and it's easily curable). People in extremely rural areas of the country, with a higher exposure to armadillos are at the highest risk (hence the current Florida outbreak).

It's ridiculously hard to catch leprosy (Hansen's Disease). It takes prolonged, close exposure to an infected person's nose and/or throat discharges. Best bet is to avoid contact with armadillos, more so than any humans.
Is the disease carried by armadillos?

Would you have to worry if someone sneezed on you or on a table not properly cleared at a meal?

Is the disease carried by armadillos?

Would you have to worry if someone sneezed on you or on a table not properly cleared at a meal?
Yes, it is carried by a large percentage of armadillos (like one in five or something). I'm not a doctor, epidemiologist or statistician, but I'd imagine the number of infected rural Floridians coincidentally visiting Disney World and repeatedly sneezing on people would be fairly low.

Overall there were 159 cases reported in the US in 2020 (latest figures available directly from this study cited in the article). Florida accounted for 20% for a total of 30 cases with only one case not directly traced to armadillos. Florida has a population of nearly 22 million people. It is easy to sensationalize many things. Link below directly to reputable report.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/29/8/22-0367_article

The "huge" surge is being sensationalized, as mentioned, and beyond that, anyone still worried should simply read more about Hansen's Disease before making a decision to visit Florida.

Hansen's Disease is very treatable, involving multiple antibiotic drug therapy over the course of about two years. Not a simple treatment, but not lifelong by any means. Patients are not isolated from society the way they once were. And it really is very hard to catch, because the vast majority of the population (something around 95%) have natural immunity to the bacteria that causes it.

I keep saying Hansen's Disease because the word "leprosy" is so stigmatized. A Hansen's patient, Stanley Levyson, writing under the name Stanley Stein, founded The Star magazine about 80 years ago and undertook a lifetime effort to both dispense accurate information about the disease and eradicate the use of the word leprosy. The magazine is still in publication today.

I have been lucky enough to spend time at the former National Leprosarium in Carville, Louisiana. Back in the day, when the disease and the people who caught it were so stigmatized, people who contracted it were sent there forcibly by law. Stanley Levyson was a resident of Carville. As were many people (including children) who were ripped from their homes and carted away to live out their lives there. Many of the residents used false names to protect their loved ones out in the real world due to the stigmatization. Throughout the decades, the patients at Carville formed an isolated but very vibrant society. They had a golf course, formed clubs (a boy scout troop even), had dances, married, gardened, and just lived. Once treatments were found, the residents were allowed to leave, but most stayed, because it was their home at that point (and for the people sent as kids, the only home they knew). It's both tragic and inspiring. Today, there's a museum (the National Hansen's Disease Museum) at Carville and self-guided tour of the grounds. It's a beautiful location, and if anyone is ever in the area, it's worth a visit.

I don't want or meant to lecture. It's just such a misunderstood disease and the history of the people who were victim to it before its origins were understood is one not many know.

And it's so hard to catch and still so rare, the odds of catching it at WDW are very small.

To lighten up the situation a funny armadillo story.

We live in Georgia and often see dead ones on the side of the road so I've seen them, just not live. Years ago we were in South Georgia visiting hubby's parents. Their house is in the country on about 14 acres so the land is not huge but they are on a dirt road and everyone else also is on larger bits of land and family. One morning hubby and I were up before the parents so we were walking around outside so not to disturb them. Hubby smoked at the time so he was a bit away from me smoking. It was summer so fairly warm and I was in my shorty pajamas. I was just walking around enjoy the plants and flowers and was near a bush when all of the sudden I see the bush sort of shaking. I figured it was a rabbit so I crouched down to see Thumper. Out shoots an armadillo. Never having seen one alive I squealed and took off running with the small dragon chasing me. Hubby came running when he heard me squeal and when he saw what was happening was bending over dying laughing. Finally the small dragon got tired and veered off in another dragon. I was not happy hubby found it so amusing. When the parents got up, I told them the story (may have embellished it a bit). FIL swore that armadillos do not chase people, they are too scared. Hubby confirmed that yes, indeed the small dragon was running behind me and in the same direction. He may have embellished the whole picture of me in my shorty pajamas running flat out with a harmless armadillo running in the same direction as me. FIL and MIL found the whole thing so funny the brought it up any time any of the family came over that weekend. Fast forward a few days after we came home and hubby receives a text from FIL with a picture of him holding up a dead small dragon by the tail. He told hubby to tell me not to worry, he got it. To this day, the entire family likes to tease me about being chased by a an armadillo (small dragon if you aske me).

As an aside, south Georgia is full of critters that can kill you, it is in the swamps after all. I'm semi-allergic to bug bites. More often than not I come home with one or two swollen areas where I've been bitten by mosquitos that can pick up your child and carry it away. That trip I came home with my legs so covered in bites I had to go to the doc. and get antibiotics and steroids. I swear it was small dragon fleas, the family swears it was probably sand gnats. I stick to my theory.

The "huge" surge is being sensationalized, as mentioned, and beyond that, anyone still worried should simply read more about Hansen's Disease before making a decision to visit Florida.

Hansen's Disease is very treatable, involving multiple antibiotic drug therapy over the course of about two years. Not a simple treatment, but not lifelong by any means. Patients are not isolated from society the way they once were. And it really is very hard to catch, because the vast majority of the population (something around 95%) have natural immunity to the bacteria that causes it.

I keep saying Hansen's Disease because the word "leprosy" is so stigmatized. A Hansen's patient, Stanley Levyson, writing under the name Stanley Stein, founded The Star magazine about 80 years ago and undertook a lifetime effort to both dispense accurate information about the disease and eradicate the use of the word leprosy. The magazine is still in publication today.

I have been lucky enough to spend time at the former National Leprosarium in Carville, Louisiana. Back in the day, when the disease and the people who caught it were so stigmatized, people who contracted it were sent there forcibly by law. Stanley Levyson was a resident of Carville. As were many people (including children) who were ripped from their homes and carted away to live out their lives there. Many of the residents used false names to protect their loved ones out in the real world due to the stigmatization. Throughout the decades, the patients at Carville formed an isolated but very vibrant society. They had a golf course, formed clubs (a boy scout troop even), had dances, married, gardened, and just lived. Once treatments were found, the residents were allowed to leave, but most stayed, because it was their home at that point (and for the people sent as kids, the only home they knew). It's both tragic and inspiring. Today, there's a museum (the National Hansen's Disease Museum) at Carville and self-guided tour of the grounds. It's a beautiful location, and if anyone is ever in the area, it's worth a visit.

I don't want or meant to lecture. It's just such a misunderstood disease and the history of the people who were victim to it before its origins were understood is one not many know.

And it's so hard to catch and still so rare, the odds of catching it at WDW are very small.
If anyone wants to read about living in a Leprosarium, there's a fascinating book I read called "The Second Life of Mirielle West". I think it was set at the one in Louisiana. I highly recommend the book.
I didn't know armadillos were carriers. Guess we Texans had better watch out!

To lighten up the situation a funny armadillo story.

We live in Georgia and often see dead ones on the side of the road so I've seen them, just not live. Years ago we were in South Georgia visiting hubby's parents. Their house is in the country on about 14 acres so the land is not huge but they are on a dirt road and everyone else also is on larger bits of land and family. One morning hubby and I were up before the parents so we were walking around outside so not to disturb them. Hubby smoked at the time so he was a bit away from me smoking. It was summer so fairly warm and I was in my shorty pajamas. I was just walking around enjoy the plants and flowers and was near a bush when all of the sudden I see the bush sort of shaking. I figured it was a rabbit so I crouched down to see Thumper. Out shoots an armadillo. Never having seen one alive I squealed and took off running with the small dragon chasing me. Hubby came running when he heard me squeal and when he saw what was happening was bending over dying laughing. Finally the small dragon got tired and veered off in another dragon. I was not happy hubby found it so amusing. When the parents got up, I told them the story (may have embellished it a bit). FIL swore that armadillos do not chase people, they are too scared. Hubby confirmed that yes, indeed the small dragon was running behind me and in the same direction. He may have embellished the whole picture of me in my shorty pajamas running flat out with a harmless armadillo running in the same direction as me. FIL and MIL found the whole thing so funny the brought it up any time any of the family came over that weekend. Fast forward a few days after we came home and hubby receives a text from FIL with a picture of him holding up a dead small dragon by the tail. He told hubby to tell me not to worry, he got it. To this day, the entire family likes to tease me about being chased by a an armadillo (small dragon if you aske me).

As an aside, south Georgia is full of critters that can kill you, it is in the swamps after all. I'm semi-allergic to bug bites. More often than not I come home with one or two swollen areas where I've been bitten by mosquitos that can pick up your child and carry it away. That trip I came home with my legs so covered in bites I had to go to the doc. and get antibiotics and steroids. I swear it was small dragon fleas, the family swears it was probably sand gnats. I stick to my theory.
I lived in Florida 10 years ago. My first night in Winter Garden, I'm on my porch having a smoke and an armadillo scurried out in front of me. Also startled the bejeezus out of me.

Spinalonga was one of the last active leper colonies in Europe.

The island was used as a leper colony from 1903 to 1957. The last inhabitant, a priest, did not leave the island till 1962, in order to maintain the Greek Orthodox tradition of commemorating a buried person 40 days, 6 months, 1 year, 3 years, and 5 years after their death. There were two entrances to Spinalonga, one being the lepers entrance, a tunnel known as "Dante's Gate". This was so named because the patients did not know what was going to happen to them once they arrived.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinalonga

If you liked that book I just finished a book set in the Carville compound, “In The Sanctuary of Outcasts” by Neil White. Was fascinating!

I live in central Florida and have not heard about this outbreak. I'm much more concerned about the strep throat that has been going around. I don't want the kids to get sick for the first day of school.

CDC is reporting a SURGE in Leprosy cases in Central Florida…

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4129366-leprosy-cases-surging-in-central-florida-cdc/

Quote: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said that Central Florida has accounted for 81 percent of reported cases in the state and almost one-fifth of reported cases nationwide.

Is it still safe to visit Disney? I’m curious if they have a plan for this or not….

I wouldn't worry about this issue if I were going.

In fact, and I mean this respectfully because there has been tragedies in the recent past, I would be more concerned about an alligator attack because in Florida wherever there is water there could be an alligator. That's just sort of a fact of life down there.

That being said, I wouldn't worry about an alligator attack either if you just make good choices and knowing that WDW staff does patrol for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter