LEGOLAND - new Legends of Chima waterpark

SpacecadetNZ

Disney Fan from NZ
I understand the new Legends of Chima Water Park opens at LEGOLAND California this holiday weekend. :banana: Has anyone on the board been along to check it out?

Oh my son really wants to go to this, he said you can shoot at the chima's and activate reactions, does anyone know if this is true?

we spent two days the the Legoland Hotel / Park and WaterPark including the new Chima part they opened. My son - 6 and Lego obsessed - LOVED it. He had a blast, we probably could have spent another day there.

we drove down from Disneyland on a Monday morning. We left about 9 and got there around 10:15. We checked into the hotel, room was not ready, but no problem ... we could head to the water park anyway and there were changing areas there. Great.

There is - in fact - a NICE area with lockers (large and small) for a fee that you could use all day. We got all situated and headed into the attractions.

First we went straight to the new Chima part. we walked past the Kragger's swamp (Croc) play feature/smallish slide area and headed straight to the build-a-boat area - something he was looking forward to because of the chance to build with the legos. He loved it ... he said he didn't expect the course to be so cool and wind around. It was kind of smallish and only two lanes, but the kids were all pretty organized about it. there is an attendant there to help keep order - she hands out the boat bases to kids, and there are a couple of big bins of bricks to for them to add on and make it their own. he stayed probably about 45 minutes there ... he could have stayed longer, I bet, but we were anxious to try other things. He says, though, this is best part of the new Chima park.

next, the chima wave pool - pretty standard wave pool, some minor styling and theming, but it was pretty much what you have at your local water park, I would expect.

There are some Legoland Photogaphers that come around with waterproof cameras while you are playing and offer to take your picture. That was a nice feature because people rarely have a waterproof camera to get action shots or groups shots at a water park. I wasn't brave enough to immortalize myself in a swimsuit, but I could see how this would something to appeal to lots of families.

Also, a note about the towels. There aren't any. Sure you can buy one for $14 from the gift kiosks. If you are staying at the hotel, you can "check out" towels form the hotel pool and bring them with you, but we didn't know to do that. You honestly don't really need one, as you mostly just go from water feature to water feature, but at the end of the day, it would have been nice to towel off before putting dry clothes back on!

we didn't get to the Croc play area until later in the day, and it was super busy. my 6 year old said it was okay, but he thinks its maybe for littler kids. it has some slides, some water guns, some climbing platforms ... it was a nice, pretty large area. I didn't see any shooting at the Chima character statues to change expressions (as mentioned earlier in this thread), and I don't know if that would even be possible, given the location of the water guns and the character statues. But maybe we just totally missed out on something that sounds pretty cool!

My son gives the Chima part of the part an 8 out of 10.

we then went to the "old" park of the water park. I liked how you could go on the big pirate splashdown ride from inside the water park. That makes perfect sense for that super wet ride!

We went on all the slides - my son liked the "blue" one the best ... its the longest. I liked the family tube because we could all ride together, although it was little short ... would have liked a longer ride. My husband also like the other two slides which are a little shorter, but maybe a little faster? One is fully enclosed.

All of the slides empty into pools that are about three feet or less, so even if your child is not a strong swimmer, they should be able to get from the "landing area" to the stairs or exits. There are lifeguards at each "landing area."

We also floated around the lazy river. That was fun ... there are parts along the route that dump water or have water falls or sprays ... it was fun. Some of the tubes have a feature where you could add big plastic blocks on it, that was sort of fun.

We did not go to the duplo area, which seemed to be more littler kids.

My son says he gives these "old" features a 10 out of 10, saying it was great.

This was our first trip to the water park altogether and I think we will be back. Its a good break from the rides and the lines ... doesn't really take a full 10 am to 4 pm, probably. You do have to have regular clothes and shoes to walk through the Legoland park to get in and out, so keep that in mind.

And there is at least one place to eat ... in the Chima side of the park, there is a place to get hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, fries, etc. Looks pretty much on par with the rest of the Legoland park but we didn't eat in the water park at all.

So overall, its fun and worthwhile the extra day if you are considering it.

If you have specific questions, I will do my best to answer.

That's fantastic, thanks so much for your review. I've been hoping someone would have visited the new water park and reported back. (Thought the Dis Unplugged podcast team would have done it by now in all honesty... :confused3) A very helpful review, thanks for taking the time to type all that up :worship:

Interesting that there were no towels for hotel guests. I emailed the hotel a while back to ask and they told me that there were definitely towels to check out at the waterpark and at the hotel too. Something for me to be wary of, thanks for the heads-up.

How were the crowds? Did you have to queue long at any stage?

I checked with two employees about the towel situation and they both told me I should have brought them from the hotel pool - now, there is a chance that someone else would have known were to provide the mystery towels for hotel guests but I stopped asking. I recommend getting them from the hotel pool if possible ... just to be safe.

the lines were not too bad when we were there - it was an overcast Monday - but they did start to pick up around noon and 1, and stayed that way until we left around 2:30 or 3. but even when the crowd grew, the lines were not bad at all ... maybe 10 minutes on one of the big slides? VERY manageable ... just lots of people.

hope you have fun - when is your trip?
I'd be interested to hear other reviews as well, and I too was kinda hoping the podcast crew would have made it out there ... I'm sure they will at some point! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter