Legally Blind/Sun Sensitive 9 Year Old

PrincessasMommy

Mouseketeer
I have a 9 year old that is legally blind (can see approx. 8 feet) and incredibly sensitive to the sun.....
Couple of ????
Will she be allowed to see the shows from as close as possible?
If there is sun where we wait in line will they allow her to move up quicker?
Will her handicap parking permit from Canada be allowed for parking?
Anything I should be aware of?
I really want her first time at WDW to be special and not to draw attention to her differences. I would like to have all arrangements made ahead of time.

Thank you

:thewave:

PrincessasMommy said:
I have a 9 year old that is legally blind (can see approx. 8 feet) and incredibly sensitive to the sun.....
Couple of ????
Will she be allowed to see the shows from as close as possible?
If there is sun where we wait in line will they allow her to move up quicker?

When you get to one of the parks, go to Guest Services/Relations and explain her difficulties to the CM (Cast Member) there. They will be able to give her a card called a Guest Assistance Card (we call it GAC on these boards to avoid typing so much. The GAC is a tool to let the CMs at the attractions know what sort of assistance is needed. In her case, she would need to have an alternate place to wait when the queue is in the sun and also to be seated near the front. You need to get a GAC in person at the parks (it is issued in the name of the person with a disability, so they need to be there to get one). The GAC is usually issued for up to 6 people (5 plus the person with a disability) and iis usually good for the whole length of your stay. The GAC you get in one park is good at all the parks (but not the water parks).
One good thing about WDW though; the lines are mostly shaded from the sun.
For movie and audioanimatronic shows, the whole audience is let into the auditorium/theater at the same time and then chose their seats quickly. One of the CMs at the queue entrance should be able to tell you which way to go in order to get to the front of the theater. For those kinds of shows, there are usually seats left in the front even when the show begins.
Depending on the show/attraction, the CM may be able to let your party in before the hoard of people so that you can choose a seat in the front. For the live shows, with a GAC, they will take you to seats in the front.
One thing to keep in mind. For some shows, there is some wheelchair seating in the front rows, so you may be sitting with wheelchair parties. For other shows, the wheelchair seating is in the back, so if a CM tells you not to go with the wheelchair parties, you want to follow those instructions. We have on occasion heard people arguing ("I have a GAC that allows me to sit in the wheelchair area") with the CM who was trying to explain that for that show they did not want to sit with the wheelchairs because they were not in the front.
Will her handicap parking permit from Canada be allowed for parking?
Yes. If you are staying at a WDW resort, it is better to take the bus to MK, even if you drive to the other parks. The MK parking area is across a large lake from the park. If you drive to MK, you need to walk from the parking area to either the monorail or boat in order to cross the lake. If you take the bus, you will be dropped off right by the turnstiles to enter the park. The MK bus area is large and well shaded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter