• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Leaving in 11 days - last minute questions

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
We leave in 11 days, and I've got some random questions:

1. How long will it likely take from the time we land (2:00 Tuesday afternoon) until we're at our resort (All Star Movies)? We have carry on luggage only. ETA: using Magical Express

2. How long should we allow for transportation (Disney busses) between resort and park (and vice versa). So, if I want to be at say Animal Kingdom for 8:30, what time should we leave our hotel room?

3. Do all parks let you in early now, up to a certain area (like MK let's you on Main Street an hour early)?

4. If we want to watch Star Wars fireworks and the new animation show, where should we be standing, and when should we get there? We'll need a place where we can sit in a chair while waiting.

5. Best places in Frontierland to watch the parade from - and what time to be there?

6. How does mobile ordering work?

7. Any tips for Flower and Garden with kids? Which is better - doing the Bumblebee scavenger hunt you pay for, or the free Kidcot Scavenger Hunt?

8. I feel like we missed a lot of the WS last time. We walked around and all we really saw were shops. It just felt like a nicely themed mall, but I've since learned about more of the things to do (ex. Stave Church gallery, gardens in Japan etc...). What are your non shopping/eating must do in the World Showcase?

Last edited:
Have some unscientific, and frequently unhelpful answers....

1. How long will it likely take from the time we land (2:00 Tuesday afternoon) until we're at our resort (All Star Movies)? We have carry on luggage only.

You didn't clarify your travel method, Magical Express or other. I do not use Magical Express because I consider my time valuable. I use a trustworthy black car service. For about $75 my family of 4 and our carry on luggage gets to our resort in 45 - 60 minutes depending on traffic.

2. How long should we allow for transportation (Disney busses) between resort and park (and vice versa). So, if I want to be at say Animal Kingdom for 8:30, what time should we leave our hotel room?

It's always longer than you think. Expect to wait up to 25 minutes for a bus. Expect the first bus to be full, so add another 25 minutes. Expect your bus driver to be timid and drive like your great grandmother. So a 10 minute drive is more like 20. Factor in at least 2 scooters on each end slowing things down - 10 minutes. Give yourself 60 minutes if you're feeling lucky, 90 if you really want to be there by 8:30.

3. Do all parks let you in early now, up to a certain area (like MK let's you on Main Street an hour early)?

Think so, I've only done it for sure in MK and HS.

4. If we want to watch Star Wars fireworks and the new animation show, where should we be standing, and when should we get there? We'll need a place where we can sit in a chair while waiting.

No idea. My kids never last long enough for that one.

5. Best places in Frontierland to watch the parade from - and what time to be there?

This really depends on how busy things are. If it's not crowded, just about any spot around the Rivers of America side is a good viewing spot.

Poorly.

Seriously. During my trips this past April mobile ordering was slower than just walking up to the counter and ordering. I watched people go up to the mobile order window and pitch fits over the slowness. Not cool WDW.

Anyway, use the MDE app. Put in your order. It charges your credit card. (I don't do dining plan) You tell it when you arrive. It's supposed to tell you when it's ready. (Sometimes it doesn't and then you get the slow, bad service) You go to the mobile order window and pick it up.

7. Any tips for Flower and Garden with kids? Which is better - doing the Bumblebee scavenger hunt you pay for, or the free Kidcot Scavenger Hunt?

Or not bother. My kids have never done the scavenger hunt and we go to the festival every year.

Take them on rides. Watch the movies in Canada, France, America, China.... Hang out in Club Cool, Innoventions or the various experience areas after Spaceship Earth, Test Track, Mission Space, etc. Meet random characters like Alice or Snow White. Buy them slushies and cool snacks from the festival carts. Let them play at the playgrounds.

8. I feel like we missed a lot of the WS last time. We walked around and all we really saw were shops. It just felt like a nicely themed mall, but I've since learned about more of the things to do (ex. Stave Church gallery, gardens in Japan etc...). What are your non shopping/eating must do in the World Showcase?

Canada - O Canada film
UK - meet Alice
France - Impressions de France film, meet Belle, Serveur Amusant street performer
Morocco - art gallery, meet Jasmine
Japan - Bijutsu-kan gallery (very cool kawaii exhibit right now), drums show
America - American Adventure movie/animatronic show, Voices of Liberty, concerts
Italy - Sergio street performer
Germany - outdoor model train village, meet Snow White
China - Shanghai Disney exhibit, Reflections of China film, acrobats, meet Mulan
Norway - Stave church
Mexico - Gran Fiesta Tour dark ride, small art gallery at entrance, mariachis, meet Donald

I will try to answer!

1. It varies. Are you taking Magical Express? I’d say an hour is a good, quick estimate if all goes well.

2. I’d say allow at 45 minutes. Could be less but you never know. You can check bus arrival times on the MDE app to time it best.

3. I think so, but others can confirm.

4. Haven’t seen new animation show. But anywhere you can see the Chinese Theater, you should be good. I like to line up 15 minutes early for these shows but I know others get their spot much earlier. I will take a less good spot over standing there waiting longer. Personal preference.

5. Again personal preference. I like to get my spot not too early, so I grab a spot close to the parade ropes wherever it is available.

6. You use the MDE app for mobile ordering. There is a tab that says Order Food. You have to connect your credit card. You order your food and then you get an alert when it is ready. It is pretty user friendly, once you get into it it walks you through the steps.

7. Not sure on this one

8. Make sure you go into the Mexico pyramid. Nicely themed and kids will like the ride. I love World Showcase!

1. How long will it likely take from the time we land (2:00 Tuesday afternoon) until we're at our resort (All Star Movies)? We have carry on luggage only.

Assuming you are doing Magical Express? It depends on how quick your bus is there and how quickly it fills to a point they will take off. It takes me about 15 min with a restroom break to get down to the ME area. Then the wait for a bus is really variable 5-30 minutes maybe? Then about 40 minutes to the hotel once the bus takes off.

They always say allow an hour, but it depends on when a bus shows up. (0-20 min) This answer is subjective, but I'd leave my room around 7:15, but I tend to be early.

Yes and no. Yes they will let you in the tapstiles early but it's not like MK where you roam Main Street and can shop and get coffee. For example, last time at EPCOT it was about 15 min early and we were held at SSE until park open. AK they let you in earlier (around 30 to 45 min early) and most times you will be held for a bit before entering an area til closer to park open.

Official page with instructions, click here.

Gran Fiesta Tour in Mexico, Norway has FEA, Voices of Liberty in the American Adventure, and then of course American Adventure itself, drummers in Japan as well as the little museum toward the back of the pavilion, Impressions de France movie at France...

If you are driving, about 30 minutes after you pick up the car, if taking Magical express, 60-90 minutes.
I plan about 30 minutes. The MDE app now has bus times on it. It also depends what park you are going to
Yes. AK - will let you in about 30 mintes before opening up to the Oasis andinto Pandora about 8:40, the rest opens at 9.
MK- Main Street abuot 8, but the park opens at 9
HS - Up to Sunset BLVD about 8:30, TSL at 8:40, rest of the park at 9
EPCOT up to SPaceship Earth at 8:30, park opens at 9
Unless you have your own chair, not sure where there are any other than a few benches. We are usually beyond Sunset BLVD. they have areas taped off as to where you can and cannot be.
We have been close to the cross through to adventureland and liked it. Got there 10 minutes befor ethe parade. Depends on teh crowd level.
We like it. There is a sticky thread about using it. Open MDE, click on mobile ordering, pick the restaurant and then order what you want. We usually order while in a line somewhere about an hour before eating. Click we are here, when you are close tothe restaurant and they will text you when the food is ready.
Never done it
8. I feel like we missed a lot of the WS last time. We walked around and all we really saw were shops. It just felt like a nicely themed mall, but I've since learned about more of the things to do (ex. Stave Church gallery, gardens in Japan etc...). What are your non shopping/eating must do in the World Showcase? Love all 3 movies China, France, Canada. The acrobats in China are fun. There are acts around France during the day.

Last edited:
How long should we allow for transportation (Disney busses) between resort and park (and vice versa). So, if I want to be at say Animal Kingdom for 8:30, what time should we leave our hotel room?

You should be able to check the bus schedule at your resort the MDE app (I think it's available on the TV too? I'm not sure about that as I always used my phone). It will tell you when the bus is arriving. It's in real-time so it's not just a schedule but a live reporting so you may need to check frequently - if the bus is ahead of schedule, you'll be able to see that and accommodate so you don't just miss it by a minute. I find it very useful. We now rarely end up having to wait 20 minutes as we can arrive just a couple of minutes ahead. Check it when you first arrive at your resort and see how long it takes you to get to the stop from your room. In general though, I typically account for 60 minutes from place to place although from resort to park is usually the shortest at 30-ish minutes if you don't have to wait 20 minutes for the bus. I find that park to park or resort to park to resort is the longest.

What are your non shopping/eating must do in the World Showcase?

Mime/acrobats in France
acrobats in China
drummers in Japan
bellydancer/musicians in Morocco
mariachi band in Mexico
live band in Canada

Last edited:

Unless you are in a wheelchair, there probably won't be any chairs to sit in. You can sit on the ground or stand or lean against something. But a free chair? Probably not going to happen. You can't bring your own chair, either.

We leave in 11 days, and I've got some random questions:

1. How long will it likely take from the time we land (2:00 Tuesday afternoon) until we're at our resort (All Star Movies)? We have carry on luggage only. ETA: using Magical Express

We have always figured an hour and a half from landing time, so would say around 3:30. You will hit the bathroom, walk to ME area, then get in line for your bus, wait for it to fill up/have everyone on board they are set for, then ride to resorts - your bus will probably stop at each of the All Stars so depends on which number stop you are.

Usually plan on an hour. You have to walk to bus stop, wait for bus - as mentioned sometimes just grab next one, or in busy times at opening/closing could be a long line, do have to wait for next one. Bus app is helpful now when leaving resort room to know if you should rush over if next one coming shortly, or if you have time to grab a cinnamon roll on the way! Then ride to park - AK is closer(10 min) but MK is further (20min). Then dropped at stop, walk to entrance(HS is longer walk currently with construction) and go through security. If you have an ADR to get there for, give it any hour and a half, to allow for delays and to get back to part of park you are heading to/get on monorail, etc.

Believe so, as PP mentioned - have not been in all before RD began.

If you are going in a week and a half, should not be a super busy time, so I would get spot 1/2 hr. before, or earlier if you want a prime spot. We like to grab a snack and wait to know we are set. You want to be straight on with Chinese Theater, and in front of projection towers. Really no where to sit other than the ground - I'd suggest maybe if someone needs a seat, have others save spot, and that person could find a bench till close to showtime.

In front of Pecos Bills is a good spot to watch as it begins right there at 3, and you can move on to next activity as soon as it passes. Again could probably find a spot about 1/2 hr ahead, or grab earlier and one hold, and let others go grab a snack, do a quick ride(Magic Carpets), etc. Can't remember if they are still there, but believe there used to be tables outside Pecos Bills where people would sit and eat, then watch from there.

Haven't used yet.

Haven't been at this time.

Playing the Agent P game was a fun way to explore some of the countries when my kids were young. You used to get a device when you sign up, now you can use your smartphone. Kids feel like spies, and have to go to different spots in the country, and make special things happen when you follow clues, like smoke come out of chimney. Kidcot spots are fun as well. Also enjoy the entertainment - fun group in Italy doing a little play - DD got pulled in to play a part with other audience members - really funny - just happened upon it, but schedules or on app, or use Steve Soares site(wdwent.com). Of course as mentioned, boat ride in Mexico, movies, and character meets.

7. The Kidcot thing (don't know what the Bumblebee scavenger hunt is) - our kids loved visiting the Kidcot stations. They get a little Ziploc baggie "suitcase" and get postcards at each Kidcot station with a phrase written in that country's language on it. It's free, doesn't take long, and the kids get a fun souvenir. It helped my kids look forward to going to each country.

I do not use Magical Express because I consider my time valuable. I use a trustworthy black car service. For about $75 my family of 4 and our carry on luggage gets to our resort in 45 - 60 minutes depending on traffic.

The average time from landing to arriving at your resort on Magical Express is 70-90 minutes. Sometimes it can be longer due to variables, but this is the general estimate and what most people seem to experience. I personally would not pay $75 to gain 20-30 minutes. If time is of the essence, Lyft/Uber is used often for a cheaper rate.

We always give ourselves an hour. Unless you're staying at AKL, I would be at the bus stop at 7:30 if you want to be at AK at 8:30. We've found using an hour as a general guideline works out well - gives us wiggle room, but we're usually early. If we need to get to another resort, I shoot for 80-90 minutes for the transfer or just take Uber/Lyft.

The average time from landing to arriving at your resort on Magical Express is 70-90 minutes. Sometimes it can be longer due to variables, but this is the general estimate and what most people seem to experience. I personally would not pay $75 to gain 20-30 minutes. If time is of the essence, Lyft/Uber is used often for a cheaper rate.

We always give ourselves an hour. Unless you're staying at AKL, I would be at the bus stop at 7:30 if you want to be at AK at 8:30. We've found using an hour as a general guideline works out well - gives us wiggle room, but we're usually early. If we need to get to another resort, I shoot for 80-90 minutes for the transfer or just take Uber/Lyft.

I have a moral objection to Uber and Lyft. Most of their drivers earn less than minimum wage.

If you are taking ME allow about 2 hours. Last Saturday we touched down at 9:30, deplaned about 9:45 pulled into the GF at 11:10. We stopped to use the bathroom in the airport etc... and there was no line for ME.

Allow an hour to get to AK, there's no harm in being early.

I have a moral objection to Uber and Lyft. Most of their drivers earn less than minimum wage.

Their drivers are not subject to minimum wage laws. They are considered (and taxed) as independent contractors and earn a percentage of their fares. They also earn tips which is no different than a server or bell man who work in tipped positions and don't make minimum wage either. Drivers who drive more will earn more, and vice versa (like a server who takes more tables or a bell man who helps more guests). For most people, Uber/Lyft are part time jobs for supplemental income, and its convenient for these people because they can choose their schedule. For people who use Uber/Lyft as their full time job, they have more availability to drive more and therefore are earning much more as well.

Just hate seeing the misinformation about ride share out there. If someone doesn't want to patronize them, that's fine, but at least have all the facts to make an informed decision.

Their drivers are not subject to minimum wage laws. They are considered (and taxed) as independent contractors and earn a percentage of their fares. They also earn tips which is no different than a server or bell man who work in tipped positions and don't make minimum wage either. Drivers who drive more will earn more, and vice versa (like a server who takes more tables or a bell man who helps more guests). For most people, Uber/Lyft are part time jobs for supplemental income, and its convenient for these people because they can choose their schedule. For people who use Uber/Lyft as their full time job, they have more availability to drive more and therefore are earning much more as well.

Just hate seeing the misinformation about ride share out there. If someone doesn't want to patronize them, that's fine, but at least have all the facts to make an informed decision.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...x-economic-reasons-to-hate-uber-idUSKCN1MZ246

Enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter