Leaving for Northern CA trip Sunday!! ANY ONE BEEN ON IT YET??

We got back from the trip on Tuesday. We extended two extra days in San Francisco. Squaw Valley, Yosemite and San Francisco were all awesome. We went on the ABD Southwest Splendors tour two years ago as a family of 12 and repeated on this one as a family group of 11. I do not really want to dwell on anything negative, but let's just say that the Northern CA tour did not even compare to our trip to the Southwest, which was absolutely amazing. I do not know if it is because Northern CA is so new an itinerary - but the kinks were clearly not worked out before we went. Disney should never have charged full price for a work in progress like this trip was. The trip will be what you make of it, not what Disney makes of it, unfortunately. Our family enjoyed our time together and all the other people on the trip were wonderful, but it fell short as an amazing adventure. I hope though, that our group worked out the bugs so you will have a wonderful trip.

What would you have done on this trip that could have made it better, for example, on your free time, was there anything you wished you had know before hand to plan for it?
For example, in Squaw valley, did you take the tram up and they stay to swim and eat or just come back and spend time on your own? I have a resturant to try call PlumpJacks close by, but your thoughts?
How about in Yosemite, what did you do on your free time, floating or more hiking, how about dinner on your own?
Who was your guides?

zogzig - not asking you to dwell on the negatives, but would be curious to know exactly how the trip failed to measure up to your last one. We had the same feeling on our ABD this year compared to last year's ABD, but this year we were doing Southwest Splendors - the one you loved!

I'd love to book a 2010 adventure, but we're wondering if there's been a general dropping of standards at ABD this year, and worried that it may carry on in the future. Opinions?

And by way of comparison, we were on the first Peru ABD that was run (after the CM dress rehearsal), and felt that we got MORE service because of it being a new trip and not all the kinks ironed out.

What would you have done on this trip that could have made it better, for example, on your free time, was there anything you wished you had know before hand to plan for it?
For example, in Squaw valley, did you take the tram up and they stay to swim and eat or just come back and spend time on your own? I have a resturant to try call PlumpJacks close by, but your thoughts?
How about in Yosemite, what did you do on your free time, floating or more hiking, how about dinner on your own?
Who was your guides?

Okay, here are just a few things you might want to be prepared for:
The resort is beautiful. It is a relatively easy walk from the resort to the village. My family only walked, we did not take the shuttle. Make sure you do not walk around the LONG way around the golf course along the bike trail! The short way is maybe a mile or less, and goes on a beautiful path through the woods.

We ate at the pizza place in the village and the Irish pub in the village. Both were very good. We saw PlumpJacks and it was recommended by several local people, but since we had a range of ages and there were 11 of us, we did fine in the pub and the pizza place.

The "float trip" - be prepared to get wet, not because it is rapids, but because we frequently had to get out and walk the raft off of rocks and out of shallows. The water was not very warm, but at the same time it is not horribly freezing. Some people did get tossed out because of the rocks. Many bruises. You really could not avoid them. Again, it is not rapids, and it is roughly two feet deep most of the time, but it was not smooth sailing! We laughed at our designation as the "dry raft" and even our guide had a soaked camera and phone. Make sure you put everything that needs to be dry in a ziplock baggie! I did not wear a swimming suit since we were "floating" on 50 degree water, but fortunately I had put a dry change of clothes on the bus. I was freezing in the end! No-one stayed dry. Again, it was a hoot if you were prepared. That was the main problem, we were mostly not prepared for the type of experience. Not a mild float trip that you can just sit back. You will also need to paddle.

For the gondola ride up to the top, we did not stay and swim, no one in our group did. We were also told that the hike down was not available. We found out at the top that the hike down was indeed available and not bad to do. So we had to buy their $3 bottled water to walk down with instead of having brought our own. So a large group walked down, it was steep in some spots, but the trail was a fire road, so was by no means walking down dangerous steep mountain trails. The view was stunning, and everyone was very glad they had done the walk down. Again, just be prepared, and you will be fine - proper shoes and water.

Do not expect to spend any time in Tahoe City unless you do that on your own. It is not correct in the itinerary that you will spend any time there. I wish we had taken some of our free time to spend around the lake itself. The only time at the lake was a 15 minute photo op as we were leaving. I would have liked some more time there, as we thought we would get. So arrange that on your own in your schedule.

Yosemite - Couple of things - I arranged for my boys to have a 6 hour climbing experience with a guide from the mountaineering school. Yosemite is the climbing capital of the US. So if anyone is at all inclined to climb rocks, they had an unbelievable guide and the best day of the trip as far as they were concerned. They climbed a 650 foot rock face. That was all on us though, and they skipped the trail ride to do it. They did not miss out on anything, the trail ride was not a meandering ride, there was no discussion of the area, and it was rough terrain, I thought. Mules kept going off the path with the kids because they could not control them.

We had a group skip the John Muir talk/walk so they could hike to the top of the falls. They got to the base of the middle falls, and it was not an easy hike. They did not regret that, since it was an incredible hike. I went on the John Muir walk and it was very neat. The character was totally believable and it was fun to hear the stories.

If you do not plan your own hikes and climbing you do not get to do any of that in Yosemite. It is a shame since that is what most people go there to do.

San Francisco - was freezing! Not really, but we were not prepared with warm clothing for the walking around and the bike ride. Make sure you have socks, pants and fleece or you will be like most of us and buying it there! It was probably only in the 60's and on the cloudy days it was cold to walk around. Make sure you walk Lombard street, we did that on our own ad it was totally fun.

I will try and add more later. I have to run. I just wanted to do this so you saw something before you go.

zogzig - not asking you to dwell on the negatives, but would be curious to know exactly how the trip failed to measure up to your last one. We had the same feeling on our ABD this year compared to last year's ABD, but this year we were doing Southwest Splendors - the one you loved!

I'd love to book a 2010 adventure, but we're wondering if there's been a general dropping of standards at ABD this year, and worried that it may carry on in the future. Opinions?

And by way of comparison, we were on the first Peru ABD that was run (after the CM dress rehearsal), and felt that we got MORE service because of it being a new trip and not all the kinks ironed out.

I am wondering if it is the US trips that are loosing the "magic" as the reports from people who went to Europe have been great. Or if it is perception

I am wondering if it is the US trips that are loosing the "magic" as the reports from people who went to Europe have been great. Or if it is perception

Tozzie, I'm wondering the same thing. If we book Ireland, will we be "safe?"

I'm hoping it's perception. That this is the first year we have a lot of folks doing a second trip, where one was non-USA, then the next was USA. Bobo912 just got back from Alaska, and said the trip was fabulous. But she (?) also seemed to have "realistic" expectations of what to expect for a trip in the US, in Alaska, etc. I'm *really* thinking it may just be an "in comparison to Europe/South America/whatever" thing. I'm going to go with that assumption. I have high hopes that the Alaska trip will be very similar to my Southwest Splendors tour.

Sayhello

Hey all,

Everyone has really good points, there is no real way to measure "perceptions", "expectations" and "realities" for these trips. I would like to argue though, that everyone's expectations SHOULD be high for these trips. It is why we are willing to bet on the DISNEY name and pay the high prices - the quality product should unquestionably be present! We saw that in our first trip. I would have had lower expectations had we not had that first wonderful experience. I would not say that the problem can be divided into trips run in US vs trips run in other countries. Inevitably, these trips are VERY guide dependent, and frankly, there should not be that much variation. Disney has a lot at stake in these trips, and if we are disappointed on our second runs, then they lose since we will not be willing to gamble again. It will be too risky. there is no question on this trip to Northern CA that the quality was not present. We digested this trip over and over again since I did truly try to find the magic and the moments like we shared in the SW. It just never happened. I hope that it does improve, but even then, it will not make up for our "loss".

Hey all,

Everyone has really good points, there is no real way to measure "perceptions", "expectations" and "realities" for these trips. I would like to argue though, that everyone's expectations SHOULD be high for these trips. It is why we are willing to bet on the DISNEY name and pay the high prices - the quality product should unquestionably be present! We saw that in our first trip. I would have had lower expectations had we not had that first wonderful experience. I would not say that the problem can be divided into trips run in US vs trips run in other countries. Inevitably, these trips are VERY guide dependent, and frankly, there should not be that much variation. Disney has a lot at stake in these trips, and if we are disappointed on our second runs, then they lose since we will not be willing to gamble again. It will be too risky. there is no question on this trip to Northern CA that the quality was not present. We digested this trip over and over again since I did truly try to find the magic and the moments like we shared in the SW. It just never happened. I hope that it does improve, but even then, it will not make up for our "loss".

Please don't take this the wrong way but from what you have written I can't see what issues you had? I don't see the problem would you care to elaborate.

We are back. Our group of 13 just completed our 4th trip and it was a lot of fun. Extended for 2 more days in San Fran and did Alcatraz and Muir Woods tours and saw the Harry Potter Movie as well.

Here are a few notes:

Make sure you take the right path down the hill at Squaw creek, pretty steep for most in our group, but made it. Plump Jacks was really good choice. Leave time for kids to swim, nice pool. Best Breakfasts at this hotel, load up on the ceral boxes for kids, will not find it rest of the trip.

Yosemite lodging was great. Location awsome. See the Falls outside room. Skip the Mule ride and try something else. John Muir tour is a must. Bike more I suggest. On free night, go to the Awahnee for dinner, we did and it was so much fun.

Try to hike some while there and take the paths.

San Fran surprised me. The hotel was fine, but very slow service. Was surprised that they did not have security on the doors at night due to night club at the top of the hotel. Easy to get to and in a good location. Can walk to most places. On the bike ride, I suggest to see if they can let you go over brige and finish at Sosoclito and take the ferry back.

More to come later

Cheers and on to next year!

PS we picked up two more couples and are up to 28 in our group for next year.

Hi Amsae!
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip! Just curious--when you say 4th trip--is that your 4th ABD? What other ABD trips have you done, and how does the Northern California one compare?

I'm really curious, since we have done SW Splendors and we are doing Quest for the West in August. This trip is definitely in consideration for next year, but I would love to hear your thoughts--especially after reading Zogzig's thoughts on the trip.

Thanks!
Turtlemom

I agree with the post above that our expectations should be high for all Disney trips. We are paying a great deal of money for the Disney name and a high quality, trip of a lifetime experience. That is definitely what we got on the Viva Italia trip. Disney's goal should in fact be to exceed our expectations, no matter that they are high to begin with, and give us all the magic we are hoping for.

I don't remember seeing complaints like this on the boards last summer, although maybe they were there. It is interesting that so many of us did overseas trips followed by a U.S. trip -- we did it a little reluctantly, because of the economy it seemed like a safer bet -- so maybe that taints peoples' expectations/experiences as well.

Or maybe just the difference you experience when going overseas provides the magic, without Disney having to arrange it!

We have done both the Qwest for the west and Southwest Splendors. I would rate the quest for the west the best out of the two, but when we did it, it had and extra day on it and we also stayed at the spotted horse ranch. I would suggest to in a day early for this one to Jackson Hole and visit some places by it like the Tetons. As for the Southwest Splendors, great trip as well. Make sure to make dinner reservations at El Tovar while at the Grand Canyon.
The last trip we did was Germany and it was just a site to see. We went over early and did a day tour of paris and then to the DDay beaches the next day before hand. Hired our own private tour company who I can recommend to you if you want. I would rate this one right with the Qwest for the West trip.
Hi Amsae!
Glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip! Just curious--when you say 4th trip--is that your 4th ABD? What other ABD trips have you done, and how does the Northern California one compare?

I'm really curious, since we have done SW Splendors and we are doing Quest for the West in August. This trip is definitely in consideration for next year, but I would love to hear your thoughts--especially after reading Zogzig's thoughts on the trip.

Thanks!
Turtlemom

I'm hoping it's perception. That this is the first year we have a lot of folks doing a second trip, where one was non-USA, then the next was USA. Bobo912 just got back from Alaska, and said the trip was fabulous. But she (?) also seemed to have "realistic" expectations of what to expect for a trip in the US, in Alaska, etc. I'm *really* thinking it may just be an "in comparison to Europe/South America/whatever" thing. I'm going to go with that assumption. I have high hopes that the Alaska trip will be very similar to my Southwest Splendors tour.

Sayhello

I am a she. :-)

Our Costa Rica trip last year was fantastic, and the Alaska trip this summer was every bit as magical, if not more so. If I had not already known that this was a new itinerary for 2009, I never would have guessed from the experience we had. The only thing I noticed was that the guides seemed even more concerned about our satisfaction with the activities and accommodations. So I guess they are looking for feedback, since this is the first year. I intentionally choose the more "outdoorsy" adventures, so I'm not expecting luxury every where we go. The real luxury for me is that the guides take care of everything. Based on our experience with ABD last year, my expectations were very high, and I was in no way disappointed. Sayhello, I hope your Alaska adventure is as awesome as our's was.

I am a she. :-)

Our Costa Rica trip last year was fantastic, and the Alaska trip this summer was every bit as magical, if not more so. If I had not already known that this was a new itinerary for 2009, I never would have guessed from the experience we had. The only thing I noticed was that the guides seemed even more concerned about our satisfaction with the activities and accommodations. So I guess they are looking for feedback, since this is the first year. I intentionally choose the more "outdoorsy" adventures, so I'm not expecting luxury every where we go. The real luxury for me is that the guides take care of everything. Based on our experience with ABD last year, my expectations were very high, and I was in no way disappointed. Sayhello, I hope your Alaska adventure is as awesome as our's was.
Thank you!!!! (Ms. Bobo912! ;) ). Thanks for this input, and thanks for your wishes. I am very excited, and confident this is going to be a spectacular trip, and I really appreciate the positive reinforcement!

Sayhello

Amsae--
Thanks for the input on your trips! We are actually flying in to Jackson Hole one day early. I've booked a sunrise expedition to the Grand Tetons with the Teton Science school--very excited about it!

I think next year, we're planning on europe (I hope!!!!). I may need to get the name of that private tour company from you. I've always wanted to see the D-day beaches and Normandy!

Thanks again!

Turtlemom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter