• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Leaving for Aulani on Sunday - How's my itinerary looking?

ameliahyde

Princess In Training
Hey friends! Looking for any last minute thoughts/suggestions/approvals lol of my current Hawaii itinerary. For some background, we are longtime DVC owners and are using our points to stay 1 week at Aulani and then spending 2 nights on the big island. I have to be honest and say I've planned this trip out more carefully than our trip last year to London & Paris :flower1: I'm always grateful for any help I can get here on the Disboards - you guys rock!!

Sunday - Fly into Honolulu, Get Rental Car, Target Pick up some food & snacks, Drive to Aulani and walk resort, do quick service for dinner. We are coming from Texas, so I assume we will be tired very early

Monday - ATV Tour at Kualola Ranch at 9am, Return to resort to swim etc., Ukelele lesson at 4pm, 5:45 dinner reservation at Makahiki

Tuesday - 9:45 am Pearl Harbor Tour, 12:30 lunch reservation at Duke's on Waikiki Beach, 3pm surf lesson at Stoke Drift

Wednesday - Aulani Day! Character Breakfast at 11am, Family Photo session at 4pm, Aulani Luau at 5:30

Thursday - Hike Diamondhead (reservation at 8am) then snorkel at Hanuama Bay. Dinner Reservation at Roy's.

Friday - Visit North Shore - see the surfers, stop at Dole Plantation on the way there or way back, go to the Waimea village and to the water falls (this is pretty unstructured and allows for time to return to do more at Aulani)

Saturday - Bob's Kaneohe Sandbar BBQ from 10-2 - enjoy other parts of day at resort and then dinner at Ama Ama at 5:45

Sunday - Fly to Hilo and tour the Volcano National park with dinner reservation at Rim Restaurant to see the volcano at night

Monday - Snorkel and Kayak Captain Cook at 8:30 am, coffee planation tour .... anything else?

Tuesday - Fly Home 😣

Thanks for any input or advice. I want to be sure to have enought time to enjoy Aulani but also don't want to miss out on all the incredible things to do on Oahu!

Amelia

This sounds like an extremely active vacation! When are you going to lay around the pool and debate the third mango mojito?!
It is a lot but there is soooo much fun stuff to do! lol.

I've considered cutting out Diamondhead as I've heard its "meh" but my husband thinks we should do it ... The North Shore day is unplanned and could be turned into a really low key couple hour outing. Its tough because I don't wanna miss out on fun island stuff but I also want to enjoy Aulani!

Spent my first trip to Aulani during memorial week. I second Franny about spending time to enjoy Aulani. Wish i could have gone back to paradise cove a second time also. Your itinerary is extremely busy and you should consider "island time" to get places. But what do I know, my DW and I did dole, Waimea falls, diamond head and roys in one day.

The North Shore day is unplanned and could be turned into a really low key couple hour outing. Its tough because I don't wanna miss out on fun island stuff but I also want to enjoy Aulani!
North Shore will be a pretty chill day, there isn't much out there, but be aware the tides are crazy strong, so if you're going swimming, be careful.

Hilo is another world from Honolulu/Oahu, but just as relaxed if not more. (Hilo reminds me of like Cuba or some other place i've never been. lol)
Some things we did last time there...
If you want some sushi/poke - Suisan Fish Market
Pet some goats - Honomu Goat Dairy
Nice short hike to some waterfalls - Peepee Falls (there other falls in the area, just follow signs or people)

***west side or Kona side of island***
Capt Cooks snorkeling is about 2.5 hour drive from Hilo over to Kona side if you go straight across island (if you take southern route it can take 5+ hours), there is a ton of things you can do in Kona if you're going to that side of the island.

If you want food suggestions for that side I have some. lol (do your research on them, they may not be your cup of tea)
Seafood Bar and Grill - 61-3642 Kawaihae Rd, Waimea (it's a locals spot)
Lava Lava Beach Club - 69-1081 Ku'uali'i Pl, Waikoloa Village
Papa Kona Restaurant & Bar - The Waterfront Row, 75-5770 (Ali‘i Dr 1st Floor, Kailua-Kona)

I would schedule more full Aulani days. The first time we went to Aulani, we planned offsite activities almost daily. Still, we fell in love with Aulani, where we ended up canceling or consolidating offsite activities into fewer days so we had more full days at Aulani. On recent and future visits, we alternate full Aulani days and full offsite days.

I would schedule more full Aulani days. The first time we went to Aulani, we planned offsite activities almost daily. Still, we fell in love with Aulani, where we ended up canceling or consolidating offsite activities into fewer days so we had more full days at Aulani. On recent and future visits, we alternate full Aulani days and full offsite days.
We canceled almost all our offsite activities as well. Aulani was just too relaxing to leave the property and enter the real world. Maybe next time we will venture out more, but I doubt it.

Thanks for the insight! I'm going to try to consolidate some days if possible so we can have more resort time.

North Shore will be a pretty chill day, there isn't much out there, but be aware the tides are crazy strong, so if you're going swimming, be careful.

Hilo is another world from Honolulu/Oahu, but just as relaxed if not more. (Hilo reminds me of like Cuba or some other place i've never been. lol)
Some things we did last time there...
If you want some sushi/poke - Suisan Fish Market
Pet some goats - Honomu Goat Dairy
Nice short hike to some waterfalls - Peepee Falls (there other falls in the area, just follow signs or people)

***west side or Kona side of island***
Capt Cooks snorkeling is about 2.5 hour drive from Hilo over to Kona side if you go straight across island (if you take southern route it can take 5+ hours), there is a ton of things you can do in Kona if you're going to that side of the island.

If you want food suggestions for that side I have some. lol (do your research on them, they may not be your cup of tea)
Seafood Bar and Grill - 61-3642 Kawaihae Rd, Waimea (it's a locals spot)
Lava Lava Beach Club - 69-1081 Ku'uali'i Pl, Waikoloa Village
Papa Kona Restaurant & Bar - The Waterfront Row, 75-5770 (Ali‘i Dr 1st Floor, Kailua-Kona)
I second all of the food suggestions for the big island! We just got back from a week on the big island and a week at Aulani. We did hiking, snorkeling, volcanos, waterfalls, plantation tours, and a dinner cruise on the big island, staying in Waikoloa.

On Oahu, we did Pearl Harbor and ate at restaurant 604. After checking into aulani, we didn’t leave the Ko’ Olina area. We had plans to do it all and canceled for veg time, and we are go-go-go people.

Enjoy the islands and time with your family! Have a plan, but be ready to make adjustments.

This is very well planned, it is obvious to me you did a lot of research!

I am wondering if you are planning to eat at Kualoa Ranch on that first day after your tour? If not, make sure to plan where you do as it is a bit of a drive back and your stomachs will still be on Texas time so hunger might raise it's ugly head at any time. I usually make sure we have a couple cans of macadamia nuts, granola bars and drinks for all the times we are driving on Oahu. Along this same line, you might run into traffic coming back to the West side/Kapolei, especially in the late afternoon so make sure you allow for that. (I think you have but just in case).

I think you are so smart to keep the end of your week loose. There is a lot of wiggle room for you to choose what to do and that is a good thing. You might find once you get to Oahu that you decide you want to hike Manoa Falls or head over to the gorgeous Kailua Beach (my absolute favorite beach!)

There is also Paradise Cove/Secret Beach literally in Ko Olina and I strongly urge you to walk over at some point, it is worth it just for the West side mountain views, There is a beautiful tide pool on the side closer to Aulani and the beach is fun to swim and snorkel at too. If you do a quick search of this section of the forum, you should be able to come up with lots of info and directions.

My hubby and I got married on the Big Island so it holds a very special place in my heart. We have been there many, many times and it is full of very adventurous things to do. I think the best advice I can give you about the Big Island is to focus on enjoying the things you are doing and not worry about all the other amazing things there are to do because there just isn't enough time in two days. Think of it as an information gathering mission to see if you like it and then maybe plan another trip to see and do more in the future. As @Chili327 you will be driving for a while to get from Hilo/Volcano area to the Kona side, make sure you have a full tank of gas and water before you leave the Hilo area. We got stuck in a VERY weird summer storm that was only happening in the higher elevation of the highway and had to pull over due to lack of visability. It is literally a "Big Island" and it takes time to get around, just fyi.

You are going to have a blast.
I give your itinary 9.5/10 but only because it doesn't include Kailua Beach. For me, it a must do every time we are on Oahu but I am a beach person.

You are going to have a blast.
I give your itinary 9.5/10 but only because it doesn't include Kailua Beach. For me, it a must do every time we are on Oahu but I am a beach person.

I second this. But my favorite is Lanikai Beach right next to Kailua Beach. :)

Hey friends! Looking for any last minute thoughts/suggestions/approvals lol of my current Hawaii itinerary. For some background, we are longtime DVC owners and are using our points to stay 1 week at Aulani and then spending 2 nights on the big island. I have to be honest and say I've planned this trip out more carefully than our trip last year to London & Paris :flower1: I'm always grateful for any help I can get here on the Disboards - you guys rock!!

Sunday - Fly into Honolulu, Get Rental Car, Target Pick up some food & snacks, Drive to Aulani and walk resort, do quick service for dinner. We are coming from Texas, so I assume we will be tired very early

Monday - ATV Tour at Kualola Ranch at 9am, Return to resort to swim etc., Ukelele lesson at 4pm, 5:45 dinner reservation at Makahiki

Tuesday - 9:45 am Pearl Harbor Tour, 12:30 lunch reservation at Duke's on Waikiki Beach, 3pm surf lesson at Stoke Drift

Wednesday - Aulani Day! Character Breakfast at 11am, Family Photo session at 4pm, Aulani Luau at 5:30

Thursday - Hike Diamondhead (reservation at 8am) then snorkel at Hanuama Bay. Dinner Reservation at Roy's.

Friday - Visit North Shore - see the surfers, stop at Dole Plantation on the way there or way back, go to the Waimea village and to the water falls (this is pretty unstructured and allows for time to return to do more at Aulani)

Saturday - Bob's Kaneohe Sandbar BBQ from 10-2 - enjoy other parts of day at resort and then dinner at Ama Ama at 5:45

Sunday - Fly to Hilo and tour the Volcano National park with dinner reservation at Rim Restaurant to see the volcano at night

Monday - Snorkel and Kayak Captain Cook at 8:30 am, coffee planation tour .... anything else?

Tuesday - Fly Home 😣

Thanks for any input or advice. I want to be sure to have enought time to enjoy Aulani but also don't want to miss out on all the incredible things to do on Oahu!

Amelia
Agree with everyone else that you could spend a little more time enjoying Aulani. I would possibly eliminate the sandbar barbeque entirely and just spend your last day at Aulani.
It’s pretty warm in Oahu right now, and it appears to me that you would be stuck out on that sandbar with no shade and a bunch of hot food for four hours, whether you liked it or not. Then you’d be coming back to Aulani for another two to three hour meal at Ama Ama.

Ama Ama, by the way is great, but it’s not an insubstantial meal, and you don’t necessarily want to precede it with a massive barbeque lunch.

If not this, I would choose one item on your agenda and save it for the next time.

Tuesday - Fly Home 😣

Amelia
I’ve never been to Aulani so your itinerary looks amazing to me! I’d love to hear what you would have done different, after you get back! Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter