Leaving a minor on board?

Mermaid Princess

Earning My Ears
I tried searching the forum but couldn't see anything specific like this.

My family will be sailing out of Galveston in December, one of the stops is Key West. I know things could change, but as of right now it seems unvaccinated (under 12's) cannot get off in port without a Disney port adventure. My daughter will be 19 months and cannot be vaccinated, and cannot use the kids clubs. We are traveling with my parents, who have their own room and their own reservation, though we have our reservations linked. There are no port adventures available for Key West at this moment, and even if there were the only thing we really wanted to do was wander around and shop and eat some pie.

Will it be possible to take turns with my parents? When we disembark will they allow my daughter to stay on the ship with my parents? Is there a form we can fill out to authorize them to keep her? I assume if my husband and I try to get off the ship without her DCL would notice we're leaving a 1 year old on board alone.

Disney has a form that you can use to authorize someone else taking your child off the boat, so it would seem that the opposite would be acceptable as well. If Disney doesn't have a specific form, I would suggest leaving your parents with a basic letter signed by you giving them permission to take care of your daughter that they could use in an emergency (needing to authorize medical care, you not making it back to the ship, etc.). I've found templates online that I modified for my own use when my children have had extended stays with my parents in another state and they were flying to bring them home.

I wouldn't worry about this in the slightest. People probably do this all the time and there really isn't a reason to have documentation of their relationship with your child unless they need to pick her up or drop her off at the nursery.

I believe the authorization form is specifically made because DCL is much more concerned about someone leaving the ship with your child.

However, I do understand why you're asking. A few times we left the ship, they would casually ask us about our children who were usually behind one of us. I don't think they had those forms when we began cruising. But I know a lot of guests do go on excursions on their own because their children weren't interested or were too young to go on the excursions. There was a time when my children asked us to leave them on the ship since their friends were staying on as well. We never did it since we always chose excursions with them in mind, so they had no reason to complain.

I echo the suggestion about ensuring that your parents are added as people who can pick up or drop off your child from the club/nursery so that if they do ask you on your way out, you can let them know that your parents are staying onboard with your child.

Also wanted to add that your reservations should be linked with your parents so that you can dine together, so that may also be a way for Disney to see that there are other people in your party and you are not leaving your daughter alone.

Link your reservations to theirs. Give DCL the authorized sheet to allow them to disembark with her if necessary. Luckily Key West is an American Port and you should easily be reachable by cell phone, but in my opinion always be prepared.

I could be wrong -- but I don't think you'll be stopping in Key West anyway. The Magic cruises have just had itinerary changed to remove Key West.

No experience this year if things have changed but in the past you can leave your kids with another stateroom occupant (linked or not) and do not have to fill out any paperwork. We‘ve done this multiple times where grandma in another stateroom has watched some combination my kids/nieces/nephews. Only once did they even mention it and it was to joke as we were getting swiped about if we’d left the toddler in the room alone with a plate of Mickey bars.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter