Leave HS for better food (Ii Mulino) or stay in park?

riversend22

Mouseketeer
Hey all! Hubby and I are headed down to the mouse for 4 days mid August to celebrate our 10 year anniversary (which was 2 years ago, lol). We are staying offsite but will be doing one day at HS while we are there. I'm trying to decide whether or not to leave the park to eat at Ii Mulino or Bluezoo, or stay and eat in the park? Looks like the park is open until 9pm, so we could either take a late afternoon break and return to the park or eat a late dinner. We are kinda foodies and have already eaten at every HS restaurant so would prefer to try something new but we also haven't been to HS in many years, so lots of new things to see and do. With only one day at the park, is it worth it to leave the park to eat at a better restaurant? Or would you not waste that precious park time and just eat in park? What would you do?

I would not waste the time and just eat in the park. We love Hollywood Brown Derby and 50’s Prime Time Cafe.

I have been unimpressed with the restaurant options at Hollywood Studios, so I would take the boat (or walk) to Il Mulino or Bluezoo in late afternoon, then return to the park. However, on previous visits I have made use of Fastpasses early in the day to make sure I do the attractions I really want. If Fastpasses are still unavailable and there are many attractions you want to do, then you may decide that the extra 30-60 minutes in transit would cost you too much park time.

With only one day at the park, is it worth it to leave the park to eat at a better restaurant? Or would you not waste that precious park time and just eat in park? What would you do?
I would just stay in the DHS and eat at Prime Time. However, you say you and your Hubby are kinda foodies so I think you should leave DHS and head over to Il Mulino.

We are kinda foodies and have already eaten at every HS restaurant so would prefer to try something new but we also haven't been to HS in many years, so lots of new things to see and do. With only one day at the park, is it worth it to leave the park to eat at a better restaurant? Or would you not waste that precious park time and just eat in park? What would you do?

We're foodies, too. With an upcoming trip planned for July, 22', I was hopeful to possibly find a Michelin Guide for Florida, but none exist. However, there are a few James Beard award winning Chef's in the Miami area. This is just not a feasible option given the distance from the park. In light of only one day at the park, I would settle on dining in the park and enjoy the experience. Brown Derby is always a favorite. I will mention the Baseline Tap House is a noteworthy bar enviroment with small bites; think large pretzels and small charcuterie plates.

If it's the summer and I'm leaving Epcot/HS and heading to YC/BC/Boardwalk, I'm thinking to leave by 2 or shortly after lunch, hit the pool at the hotel, shower, early dinner and roll back into the park at least 2 - 3 hours before closing. But you're off site, so that's not doable. In your case, not sure I'd leave the park.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Mama Melrose. For my family, it's a good option if you want a reasonably good meal and don't want to leave the parks. I'm assuming you've tried it before. Better than a pig trough buffet, better than your local Olive Garden (though sometimes I love the comfort of that place).

Anyway, I consider Mama Melrose to be on par with Buca di Beppo. Not a hot spot for foodies, but the AC works, it's not a madhouse and the food isn't revolting....

Ii Mulino is one of the best Italian restaurants anywhere near Disney property, if you listen to Pete on the DIS show he'll confirm that as well. For the updated hours/days open you can grab the SwanDolphin mobile app. Whether it's worth time to leave the park depends on you. We've often left or just suffered through. I will say Docking Bay 7 surprised us with a pretty good quality meal.

With only one day it is simply not practical to leave the park for dinner. Unless of course your park time is not valuable to you. But if that were the case, you wouldn't be going in the first place.

I'd go with Hollywood Brown Derby, definitely the best of the restaurants in the Studios.

Hey all! Hubby and I are headed down to the mouse for 4 days mid August to celebrate our 10 year anniversary (which was 2 years ago, lol). We are staying offsite but will be doing one day at HS while we are there. I'm trying to decide whether or not to leave the park to eat at Ii Mulino or Bluezoo, or stay and eat in the park? Looks like the park is open until 9pm, so we could either take a late afternoon break and return to the park or eat a late dinner. We are kinda foodies and have already eaten at every HS restaurant so would prefer to try something new but we also haven't been to HS in many years, so lots of new things to see and do. With only one day at the park, is it worth it to leave the park to eat at a better restaurant? Or would you not waste that precious park time and just eat in park? What would you do?
HBD is our go to at Hollywood Studio but given your circumstances I’d stay at the park and just book a late reservation for Il Mulino. Never eaten at the one in Florida but have in NYC and enjoyed the meal immensely. As for bluezoo? Well they are on my personal list for a massive service mistake yet begrudgingly say the fish was fine until the waitress did her thing. Didn’t help that it was a holiday meal either.

It really depends on how you do the parks, even on short trips, I rarely do open to close at the same park. So, for me I would definitely leave for Il Mulino and then go back to the park after dinner. Most of the restaurants at DHS would take the same amount of time to eat as Il Mulino, so the only extra would be the travel time. From DHS to Swan and back, that should only be about 30 minutes total for travel. Walking or taking the boat each way should only be about 15 minutes max.

I actually ate at Il Mulino the first of this month. We got a same day reservation via Open Table for when they first opened. It was a rainy day and I was hoping to get back to MK that night so needed something early. We waited maybe 10 minutes when we arrived and that was because we arrived 5 minutes before they actually opened the restaurant.

I would definitely leave. Those choices are great options. You can also spend some time and cut over to walk around the boardwalk. It’s a nice break from a busy park like HS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter