Leather couch & dogs? compatible or not?

ennazus

DIS Veteran
I would like to get a leather couch, but I'm not sure if that is compatible w/ our dogs (who we do allow up on the couch). Not sure it matters, but they are bichon frises. Do dogs scratch up leather couches hopping up & down? Thanks!

I have a big dog, 105lb golden retriever. When we switched to leather, he stopped coming up on the couch. I think because the new sofa's werent as spacious as the old ones. :( He has gone up a couple of times thou, and never poked any holes in it. So you should be fine with your smaller dogs.

To be on the safe side, you could buy some pet blankets (couch savers i think theyre called?). ;)

My sister has leather couches and has has multiple big dogs and I really haven't seen any damage. I think everyday wear and tear from a family of 5 and big family gatherings have caused more damage than doggie claws. .

I would like to get a leather couch, but I'm not sure if that is compatible w/ our dogs (who we do allow up on the couch). Not sure it matters, but they are bichon frises. Do dogs scratch up leather couches hopping up & down? Thanks!

As long as you keep your dog's nails trimmed, and they aren't "bed diggers", you should be fine. I've discovered I actually like leather better (my set was given to me so I didn't buy it) because it's SOOOO much easier to get dog hair off of than regular fabric covered couches. But with bichons, you probably don't have as much of a shedding problem as mine does :D

My old couch was blue leather and we had a Boston Terrier that would hop up on it---no damage:thumbsup2 I still use the couch downstairs--nothing wrong with it, I just wanted a change:goodvibes

My sister has a leather couch and two HUGE dogs (who, coincidently, are not the best behaved.) The sofa has faired well. (Much better than the rest of their house actually). ;)

We have leather couches in our living room and family room. Our lab and cat are not allowed on the furniture but they have tried to a couple times Our one set is like really soft Italian leather and she did scratch it. It's faint but its enough to bug me. Our other couches are a harder leather and have none.

I was not going to buy a leather couch because I was worried not only about the dog tearing it up, but Christian soiling it. The saleslady assured me that leather can withstand almost anything. "It's just skin, you know.":sick: Yeah, that's appealing...We bought the couches anyway and I've been extremely happy with them. They're 7 years old and they look almost brand new. And yes, they've been wet on, pooped on, vomited on and drooled on. :headache: And not by the dogs.

We've had a few leather couches and a few dogs over the years. I wouldn't NOT buy a leather couch!

My lab's nails are a little too long and she has scratched it, but it fixes itself with use. (just rub it and it goes away) It has never been more than a small surface scrap.

I also like that you can brush dog hair off and vacuum it up. dog hair tends to weave itself into cloth couches.

I have one with 4 kids and 2 dogs (1 little and 1 big) I wouldn't trade it for the world!!! It's the best sofa I every bought!

My dog hasn't left a mark on my leather sofa. However, before I picked the leather, I gave the samples that I liked a good scratch - some were definitely more scratch resistant than others.

Definitely leather - all the way!

Our first leather couch we replaced when we put the cat down. He had destroyed it by peeing on it. The pee had seeped down through the cushions and we actually found mold underneath the couch on the liner that is near the floor.

:scared:

We are down to one animal (the old couch had been through 2 Beagles and 1 very incontinent cat in his older age) and when we replaced the couch we bought this one (at a local furniture store):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=07R0Q9N6CA842KSA7Z5A

The one on the right with the drop down console is the one we have - only it is a dark navy blue - almost black color.

DH wanted the reclining aspect, DS wanted the neato console for his drinks, and I wanted a full size sofa. This couch had everything we were looking for.

:)

I bought leather couch & love seat. I love them for not having to worry about dog hair but I am afraid the dog will scratch it when jumping up that I have been keeping a throw on it. I hate the way it looks, maybe it is time to just toss the throw.

The dog is only on it when we are home.

Our beagles have not hurt our leather couches one bit! Much better than the old cloth couches that were a magnet for dog hair

I bought leather couch & love seat. I love them for not having to worry about dog hair but I am afraid the dog will scratch it when jumping up that I have been keeping a throw on it. I hate the way it looks, maybe it is time to just toss the throw.

The dog is only on it when we are home.

Or so you think. ;)

This made me laugh because I often wonder what my dog does when we are gone all day and "think" he's an angel. :rotfl2:

Maybe he has a big party all day while we're out - invites other dogs and cats over, jumping up and down and on and off the furniture all day...and sends everyone on their way by the time "mom and dad get home".

Maybe yours is kenneled or something so you do KNOW they aren't on the furniture - but it gave me a chuckle. :thumbsup2

:lmao:

It honestly depends on the quality of the leather. A lot of cheaper made sofas are gonna scratch. We are on our second leather couch and this one has done beautifully with the dogs. No scratches. We also leave blankets on the sofa cause leather couches are cold. Even in the summer they are cold.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter