• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Learning new language late in life

dminnie

DIS Veteran
Do any of you have any experience learning a 2nd language late in life. I'm thinking about learning French since it would be helpful for my job because of some changes that are coming. If you learned a 2nd language late in life, what suggestions do you have? I know it's supposed to be very difficult to pick up another language at this point in my life, but I would probably just want to converse a little in French.

I wanted to learn ASL , I know it is not a spoken language. But it was a great learning tool. A teacher may have knowledge of a place where there is a place to converse in the language further away from the class room. But I would go for it. Just go and enjoy it.

I think it'd be fun! I'd do it if I had any practical application for it. Do you have an aptitude for language in general? I'll bet that learning some functionality in a language isn't all that difficult. Now if you have to write essays on Shakespeare, that could be another matter.:)

I think it just depends on how much time you have to dedicate to it. I learned French in college and was able to converse and read books in it, but since I haven't used it in a decade, I can't converse much now. I've never really had a knack for picking up languages, so it may be easier for you. I recently started learning Russian, which is much more difficult for English speakers than French, and I'm not very far along, but I'm amazed at how I'm able to actually read and write some things in a completely different alphabet in only a few months! I only have classes 2 hours a week while working full time so it's not like I spend a lot of free time studying either.

I moved to France at age 36, so I was forced to pick it up. It was hard, but I can read and understand it quite well. I am not the greatest speaker, but it's mostly because of my southern accent.

My husband took four years of French in school while I took Spanish. He speaks far better than I do, but I am the translator for certain.

I'm debating learning German. I am homeschool, and I have my younger 2 interested in German. Best of luck to you. I took french in college and loved it. Can't remember much though.

My brother who is 55 was taking French at a local school. I know the classes were on Monday night but I am not sure if he still is. I will have to ask him.

For learning later in life I would look for a program offered by a place like Alliance Francaise that is immersive and up to date. No need to memorised the paragraphs of inane dialogue.

Last edited:
First of all, congrats!! I learned German at an "older/later" age (22; don't hurt me lol...I'm 36 now!) found it much harder than when I started learning French at age 5. My best suggestion to learning a language later in life is to not care what people think; practice when and where you can, with whoever you can find who speaks the language you're learning. Immerse yourself in your new language if you can; read, watch TV, use language websites...even those made for kids. Who cares; everyone has to start somewhere! :goodvibes

I think it just depends on how much time you have to dedicate to it. I learned French in college and was able to converse and read books in it, but since I haven't used it in a decade, I can't converse much now. I've never really had a knack for picking up languages, so it may be easier for you. I recently started learning Russian, which is much more difficult for English speakers than French, and I'm not very far along, but I'm amazed at how I'm able to actually read and write some things in a completely different alphabet in only a few months! I only have classes 2 hours a week while working full time so it's not like I spend a lot of free time studying either.

I speak English and Spanish but I've been playing around with Russian for the last year or so on Duolingo. I'd love to learn it because that's my ancestry, but the alphabet is SOOOO tough to adapt to and for the Duolingo app I have to type my answers using the right characters. I bet I could learn to speak it conversationally, but reading and writing is proving very tricky!

For the OP, the more you do it, the better you'll be - it's that simple. I took Spanish through all of high school and college, but it's like a muscle. When I lived in Miami and San Diego and spoke it often, I was golden. Now I live in rural Washington and I don't have many opportunities to practice. I go to Mexico once a year for a few weeks and that "recharges me" just enough, but there are definitely words that disappear from memory. I use the Duolingo app (free) to practice and keep up with it and also listen to Spanish music. They have French as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for your ideas everyone. I might try an on-line app for the summer and possibly a college class this fall. It would be great to at least know a few phrases. I don't expect even that to be easy for me.

My 60+ neighbor teaches Italian to other seniors.
Her name isn't Miss Costanza is it?

That was the name of the infamous Italian language teacher in my JHS. She tore out the hem of your mini skirts whether you were in her class or not:D. Not mine since I was deep in the land of maxi dresses at the time but still, LOL.
She and the French teacher (can't recall her name- Miss Nesbitt?) were reasons I opted to take Spanish back then.

You might find these links of use, dminnie:

http://www.openculture.com/free_french_lessons

ma france started by BBC is pretty good from a pronunciation POV in particular.

I use duolingo to refresh my knowledge of French and really like using it.

I started learning ASL in my mid 20s and did fairly well.

So many adults immigrate to the US and learn English. You can learn another language, you just have to work really hard and take lessons and practice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter