Lay Off The Cleaning Lady Pete!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lugnut33

DIS Veteran
I feel like Pete is being especially hard on Meg Crofton and it's not right.

First off, she's not to blame for the tanking economy. And even in this crappy economic climate WDW has done very well attracting guests. Are guests spending as much as they used to? NO, but that 's to be expected. Heck, I bet people going to grocery stores are spending less per visit also. Here in Wisconsin this is the first year since 1964 that sales tax revenues have fallen.

Secondly, Meg has nothing to do with he low occupancy rates around the Orlando area. It's not her fault that there are too many hotels in the area for the current economic conditions. Seems to me though that occupancy rates at WDW are still holding in there if they have to offer the 4 for 7 deal or even free dining. During the podcast Pete made it sound like the occupancy rate at WDW was similar to what the off-site hotels are seeing and that cannot be right. All you have to do is call down and try to book something and you'll know that WDW is still attracting people very well.

Third, there are plenty of people still in the parks. There has to be considering how busy the WDW hotels are. If the parks are still packed (and you just have to look at some of the threads on the Dis Boards describing how people are "surprised" by how crowded it is. Or look what Cory and Julie said about how packed the food and wine festival was) then raising prices is the way for Disney to get more of the guests money if they are not going to spend it in the parks. Makes perfect business sense to Meg Crofton. And I don't think any of the raises have effected crowd levels at all from the sounds of things. I would venture to guess it'll be crowded this upcoming holiday season.

Fourth, raising prices is not just Meg's decision. You can bet that internally those above Meg are looking for ways to help pay for all the expansions going on at both parks. With the addition to Fantasyland coming how can one not expect to pay more for that?

Fifth, I doubt that Meg magically rose through the Disney organization by being an idiot. If she's able to navigate the WDW parks through these choppy economic waters without sinking, then her bosses will be happy. Apparently she's done a good enough job that she still has the helm. Last quarter the parks side of the business took in almost have the profits. They are doing something right and hence she is doing something right. People are still coming in droves.

I personally don't want to see prices increasing at WDW because it will eventually limit the amount of trips we take there. However, if there are richer people than myself that will take my place then that's what Disney needs to do. Those people will spend more money than me and hence make the corporation more money. I'm sure Meg knows that also. Nowhere does it say at WDW that Lugnut33 or any Dis people should always be able to afford to visit WDW.

While it's fun to hear you baggin' on Meg I don't think it's fully deserved. You are discrediting her simply based on increasing prices, but the net effects of those increases has really only been to decrease the amount of off-site guests. The parks are still packed and doing just fine. My guess is upper management is happy with the returns Meg is producing and those are the only people she has to answer to.

Oh, and here's a picture of Meg so we can put a face to a name:
megcrofton.jpg

Well put Lugnut. And let's not get derogatory about the term 'cleaning lady' *

A Contemporary Resort bus boy just got put in charge of Disneyland.

* Yeah, yeah, I know she wasn't actually a cleaning lady. Saying that, I've never seen her CV.

Here is the Wiki on her:

Meg Gilbert Crofton (born Mary Elizabeth Gilbert in 1953) is president of Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.[1] She was named to the position on August 7, 2006, replacing Al Weiss, who had been promoted to president of worldwide operations for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts in November 2005. Crofton reports to Weiss. The Orlando Sentinel named her the among the top 25 most powerful people in Central Florida.[2]

Born in San Diego, California, Crofton moved to Florida with her family as a 6-year-old when her father, Charles "Chuck" Gilbert, was relocated there in his work with the aerospace services division of Pan American, a contractor to NASA. She attended Rollins College before transferring to Florida State University, where she earned a bachelor's degree in marketing and an MBA.

Crofton joined Disney in 1977 as a marketing manager with Vista-United Telecommunications, a company subsidiary that provided telecommunication services to the Florida resort. After a brief period away from the organization, she re-joined Vista-United in 1981 as operations manager. In 1984, she became manager of The Golf Resort (later called The Disney Inn), a hotel that is now Shades of Green, a military resort operated by the U.S. Department of Defense at Walt Disney World Resort.

Crofton later became the resort's vice president of human resources and spent five years as senior vice president of human resources and organizational improvement. In 2002 she was promoted to executive vice president of human resources for Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, the division of The Walt Disney Company that operates its theme parks, resort hotels, cruise line and other vacation businesses worldwide.

Married to Rich Crofton since 1981, she and her husband live in Winter Park, Florida.

I personally don't want to see prices increasing at WDW because it will eventually limit the amount of trips we take there. However, if there are richer people than myself that will take my place then that's what Disney needs to do. Those people will spend more money than me and hence make the corporation more money. I'm sure Meg knows that also. Nowhere does it say at WDW that Lugnut33 or any Dis people should always be able to afford to visit WDW.

Actually, I believe that it was Walt Disney's philosophy that everyone should be able to afford to enter the park and enjoy. Not just the rich.

While she may prop up this quarters numbers with the foolish decisions, they will have long term consequences.

Will the average fan visit as often? Will they spend as much?

The casual visitor may never return after having been lifted up by the ankles and shaken so that every penny in their pocket falls to the ground. Walt did not build his company to fleece his visitors. He was a businessman to be sure, but he also seemed to have a good feel for investing in guests and wanting them happy, so they would return.

The cleaning lady has not endeared herself (or whomever is the puppet master with the powerpoint presentation) to guests of the Orlando resort. Disney World in Orlando will pay for these short sighted moves. Maybe not today or this quarter, but down the road, they will have lots of catching up to do.

And given the business Pete is in - he's right to be incensed by the poor decisions she and her minions set into action. Preach on Pete - you are dead on.

Oh, and here's a picture of Meg so we can put a face to a name:
megcrofton.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Wow, your vacation snaps are far more boring than mine! ;)

Rich

Apparently, the controversial comment was removed, so my previous response looks out of place. Please return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Actually, I believe that it was Walt Disney's philosophy that everyone should be able to afford to enter the park and enjoy.

Which is one of the reasons why Walt needed Roy. Walt was not a "businessman" and could not have accomplished half of what he did without Roy.

Let's face it Disney passed the price point where "everyone could afford it" a long long time ago.

It is a free country and we do have the Freedom of Speech in the Bill of Rights. So the OP is entitled to his opinion. In fact I agree with him (her?). She has never held a position of cleaning anything. So I find the term Cleaning Lady a little offensive. If you want to say she is not qualified for the position, that fine, just say that. But don't make it see like she came from cleaning toliets to being president.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Podcast (huge fan) and I love went Pete rants. But I think this one has gone a little too far.

I hope I don't get slammed for this post. I've been wanting to say this but I was afraid of the responses.

Remember - this is just my opinion.

Yeah, I agree, let's not be disrespectful of the OP, especially with half baked one-liners. If you have a valid argument, let's hear it.

ps. Is that Coreys sister, Anna in the background?

Please delete this post if I've missed the mark here! :)

Don't get me wrong, I love the Podcast (huge fan) and I love went Pete rants. But I think this one has gone a little too far.

I hope I don't get slammed for this post. I've been wanting to say this but I was afraid of the responses.

Remember - this is just my opinion.

Hey Remark44,

I am with you. I thought the OP set out a nice argument for her points and did it in a respectful way. I tend to agree with the points she made.

Actually, I believe that it was Walt Disney's philosophy that everyone should be able to afford to enter the park and enjoy. Not just the rich.

This is exactly what I was thinking...Walt Disney wanted to build Disneyland for families to do things together as he felt there wasn't a good place for them. In fact, in his biography that I have read, Roy told Walt that he didn't see it as a profitable matter and Walt flat-out told him that that wasn't the point.

I think that you need people of all financial statuses at the resort, this is the reason that there are very high-end resorts (deluxe) and affordable resorts (values). If you aim your price-point/marketing to only one of them, the other will stop coming and that product will suffer. It's a delicate balance.

[
Over 5600 posts and you don't know better than to post "stupid stuff" yourself :sad2: Just because you don't agree with someone else's views or opinions does not make them or what they say stupid.

I am kinda tired of the term cleaning lady being used in a derogatory way too. I happen to be what many people call the cleaning lady, even though what I am is the owner of a small house cleaning service. And I happen to think I am just as smart as everyone else and I do pretty well managing a business. ;) So if you want to call her out and disagree with her maybe you don't have to link her to another group of people ....makes it seem like you think we are all idiots.

Fourth, raising prices is not just Meg's decision. You can bet that internally those above Meg are looking for ways to help pay for all the expansions going on at both parks. With the addition to Fantasyland coming how can one not expect to pay more for that?

I am sure that is very true. They are not going to take the money out of their own paychecks, what managers and CEO's every do ;) Those costs are always passed on to the consumer.

I agree on this point also. As much as I would love to go several times a year, that's not in the budget. Disney is a business and they are there to make a profit , that is the first priority for them and all businesses.

I don't like a lot of the decisions Disney has being make lately but I think you have made some very good points. :)

Over 5600 posts and you don't know better than to post "stupid stuff" yourself :sad2: Just because you don't agree with someone else's views or opinions does not make them or what they say stupid.

I am kinda tired of the term cleaning lady being used in a derogatory way too. I happen to be what many people call the cleaning lady, even though what I am is the owner of a small house cleaning service. And I happen to think I am just as smart as everyone else and I do pretty well managing a business. ;) So if you want to call her out and disagree with her maybe you don't have to link her to another group of people ....makes it seem like you think we are all idiots.

Your post is totally justified. It is not an excuse by any means, but catycatcat is just a kid. keep that in mind when reading her posts. She doesn't mean any harm. :hippie:

Your post is totally justified. It is not an excuse by any means, but catycatcat is just a kid. keep that in mind when reading her posts. She dosen't mean any harm. :hippie:

Thanks Paul, I did not know that. Makes sense, thanks for the info :)

Everyone has a right to their own opinion.

Pete makes me laugh. He can call her Cleaning Lady all day long as far as I'm concerned. :rotfl:

There have been lots of businesses over the years that have found that lowering their prices has led to increased profit because more people purchased that product, I think Disney would have more people in the parks, and in turn, spending more money on food, souvenirs, etc. if they lower the price of admission. So I agree with the podcast team on this one, raising the prices on everything is a bad idea.

Did you read the OP? I thought it was very well laid out without being argumentative or name calling....your post....well it wasn't. In fact if it were me I'd consider reporting you. You might consider an edit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter