• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Laundry

123SA

DIS Veteran
I'll be at AoA 8/29 - 9/12. I plan to do laundry mid way through on Sunday on Labor Day weekend.

Can you tell me about the laundry facilities?

1. Is it hard to find free machines? Say 3 machines so I can get it all done at once.
2. Is there a better time of day to get it done?
3. Do I need to baby-sit the laundry? Or can I leave for a while and come back?
4. How are the dryers? Are they so hot my clothes will shrink? Or is the other way and I'll be there forever adding extra time to get all dry?
5. I think I remember reading that I don't need quarters. Can I pay with a credit card? Or is it my magic band?
6. How much is the laundry? I'll have a car and we have nothing but dinner planned this day...should I consider going off site to a laundry mat?

Hmmm..it just occurred to me I've got to have a way to cart the laundry to and from the laundry area. I'll need to think on this.

I'll be at AoA 8/29 - 9/12. I plan to do laundry mid way through on Sunday on Labor Day weekend.

1. Is it hard to find free machines? Say 3 machines so I can get it all done at once.
4. How are the dryers? Are they so hot my clothes will shrink? Or is the other way and I'll be there forever adding extra time to get all dry?
5. I think I remember reading that I don't need quarters. Can I pay with a credit card? Or is it my magic band?
6. How much is the laundry? I'll have a car and we have nothing but dinner planned this day...should I consider going off site to a laundry mat?

Hmmm..it just occurred to me I've got to have a way to cart the laundry to and from the laundry area. I'll need to think on this.
I'll go get a link I found helpful. It shows what machines are open to use. Love the feature. Sorry, can't answer your questions. Nov. is the first time we'll be staying long enough that I need to wash while away.

Edit:
http://www.laundryview.com/disneyworld/

Last edited:

I have never stayed at AoA, but always do laundry midtrip no matter which resort we're in. We've never had a problem with finding enough machines to do ours (even needing 3 machines). In fact, I think that I only encountered 1 other person in all the times I've been in a laundry room. I usually did mine late at night when the kids were watching TV. I always left it and never had any problem--just set the timer on my phone to remind me to go check on it. Usually we let it wash while we were in the pool, then switched to the dryer while we took a break from swimming. Can't remember the cost per load, but it was reasonable - I think $1.50 or $2 per machine, although I've always used quarters so things must have changed since my last trip in 2013. Wouldn't be worth it to me to drive off-site, though.

Thank you for that link, Spliter -- have never heard of this! Added it to my phone, that will be so handy.

I have never stayed at AoA, but always do laundry midtrip no matter which resort we're in. We've never had a problem with finding enough machines to do ours (even needing 3 machines). In fact, I think that I only encountered 1 other person in all the times I've been in a laundry room. I usually did mine late at night when the kids were watching TV. I always left it and never had any problem--just set the timer on my phone to remind me to go check on it. Usually we let it wash while we were in the pool, then switched to the dryer while we took a break from swimming. Can't remember the cost per load, but it was reasonable - I think $1.50 or $2 per machine, although I've always used quarters so things must have changed since my last trip in 2013. Wouldn't be worth it to me to drive off-site, though.

Thank you for that link, Spliter -- have never heard of this! Added it to my phone, that will be so handy.
You're welcome!

This page mentions payment for laundry.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/laundry-services/

I always do laundry and found the link helpful. I learned the truth the hard way last year. BTW, Your don't have to babysit it, just make note of time, and return promptly. Anyway, we've always done moderates and there are plenty of machines and laundry buildings at the quiet pools and I do it a couple of times a week running 2 machines at whatever time I please. Love this feature. Had a split stay at YC last time------ 2 machines!!!!! That's it!!! Needless to say, after I lugged my laundry for what seemed like eternity down twisty halls, no laundry done for me. Managed to find some other like hidden laundry area with also like 2 machines, but they were of course full!!! Sigh, I love mods!

Doing laundry right now. We are at csr and finding machines during the day or early morning are your best bet. At night, forget it. We tried last night and all were being used. Now, the resorts will not be as crowded so you should be just fine. In our area we have at least 7 different travel soccer teams and 1 tour group. The soccer teams are doing laundry every night. Dryer runs 2.50 a load and washer is 2.50 plus cost of detergent if you don't have your own. Dryer temps are adjustable. Yes, you have to use credit card.

Chiming in: I'm so GLAD they finally went to credit cards (no Amex though)! It made doing laundry last spring break easier! No having to get quarters.
I bring a few pods and my own dryer sheets (I've rarely seen dryer sheets sold, just detergent, and they make our laundry smell so much better).
Also, at the BWI, you could choose to pay for the standard drying time, or when you're getting the dryer started, for a little less money you could choose less time. They dryers worked so well that my stuff was done quickly. I also would choose an afternoon when we were having some down time, and leave it (and also set a timer on my phone to remind me to go back). Only resort I ever saw other people in the laundry room was the Swan/Dolphin. I always do laundry every 2 or 3 days at Disney. We tend to get stuff quite sweaty!

We frequently do laundry on vacation. At AoA the laundry is right near the pool. We did laundry when we were hanging out by the pool. At other resorts the laundry is usually by the quiet pool so DH loves to take a few hours of quiet to himself and do laundry! LOL
We bring a big laundry bag to bring the clothes back and forth, and since it is a washable bag we throw it in the wash to get it clean.
We do bring our own laundry tablets and dryer sheets as my kids all have sensitive skin and can't use just any detergent.

We did laundry at AOA in March 3 times- the first time was around 3pm on a day that it was raining using the Nemo laundry room- HORRIBLE idea. We managed to get there before the crowd but by the time we needed a dryer- many people had come in and just put their wet clothes AND shoes in the dryers.

1. Is it hard to find free machines? Only trouble was in the afternoon during rain
2. Is there a better time of day to get it done? late at night worked best for us- 11pm only 1 other person was washing
3. Do I need to baby-sit the laundry? Or can I leave for a while and come back? You can leave and come back- just remember to time it right so other people aren't waiting on you to remove your clothes so they can use the machine
4. How are the dryers? Are they so hot my clothes will shrink? They were very hot- on all 3 occasions, we removed clothes with 10-15 mins left to dry
5. I think I remember reading that I don't need quarters. Can I pay with a credit card? Or is it my magic band? Credit card

Hmmm..it just occurred to me I've got to have a way to cart the laundry to and from the laundry area- I would suggest buying one of the collapsable laundry baskets (mesh) that you can easily pack in a suitcase. I forgot mine last time and was stuck using garbage bags.

** A few suggestions for AOA** If staying in a Nemo suite- use the cars laundry facility- much less crowded than Nemo and do laundry during off times like I said- late at night worked best for us.

I'll go get a link I found helpful. It shows what machines are open to use. Love the feature. Sorry, can't answer your questions. Nov. is the first time we'll be staying long enough that I need to wash while away.

Edit:
http://www.laundryview.com/disneyworld/
I actually enjoy looking at that site. The shaking washers and dryers make me laugh. :)

But it's an incredibly useful site, too, if you want to save yourself a trip down some long corridors just to find all the machines taken.

I actually enjoy looking at that site. The shaking washers and dryers make me laugh. :)

But it's an incredibly useful site, too, if you want to save yourself a trip down some long corridors just to find all the machines taken.

It made me giggle too. lol Whoever thought of it had one heck of a great idea. Never have seen it at any other place we've vacationed.

I've never had a problem getting machines early in the morning at AoA, but I agree with the previous poster who said to try Cars if Nemo is full. I usually start at 7, get some coffee and relax outside. I don't stay and babysit it, especially now that I can check the time left on my phone. Doing laundry is part of my "me time" in WDW!

I don't know if you have little kids, but I use my son's stroller to transport the laundry. 3 machines full will be a lot to carry--if you don't have help, you might consider asking bell services for a luggage cart (free to borrow, you just have to sign it in and out). Be sure to bring garbage bags or laundry bags. :)

WoW! That site is awesome. And you all have sold me on doing the laundry. I was just about to talk myself into buying more clothes for the kids, but yikes...it's just so much to pack.

Nothing loads for me.
It's completely dependent on Adobe Flash to display the graphics showing machines in use, etc. I'd check on that. On my iphone, which doesn't have flash, I get a listing of all the machines and their states, rather than the graphical representation. Still really useful, though.

It's completely dependent on Adobe Flash to display the graphics showing machines in use, etc. I'd check on that. On my iphone, which doesn't have flash, I get a listing of all the machines and their states, rather than the graphical representation. Still really useful, though.
I don't even get that on my iphone. I get a picture of a washer on the right, "select location" on the left and the rest is a blank white page.

I remember the dryers being incredibly hot. The first time I did laundry they came out extra, extra done. So be careful with that. There was no 'best' time I found. It was either busy or it wasn't. It wasn't much of a problem, just sometimes you had to come back a few minutes later. I stayed around the laundry areas but it probably isn't that much a big deal to leave the clothes alone. I don't remember how expensive it was, but it was definitely worth it for the convenience of not having to leave the property.

I remember the dryers being incredibly hot. The first time I did laundry they came out extra, extra done. So be careful with that. There was no 'best' time I found. It was either busy or it wasn't. It wasn't much of a problem, just sometimes you had to come back a few minutes later. I stayed around the laundry areas but it probably isn't that much a big deal to leave the clothes alone. I don't remember how expensive it was, but it was definitely worth it for the convenience of not having to leave the property.

Thanks or the info. I'll have to check on the dryer early so our stuff doesn't shrink.

What about detergent? It says use only 2 Tablespoons. Is that regular or HE, powder/liquid?

Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter