Laundry Basket/Hamper

Use the same basket for dirty as well as clean clothes. They aren't radioactive, so the idea to have separate baskets seems a bit out there to me. But then again I don't post videos of my laundry habits on social media like some apparently do....................LOL.

We have a laundry basket in the bedroom for dirty clothes, and an open air hamper in the bathroom for towels. I do not use either for clean clothes/towels. I fold everything from the dryer and carry it all by hand to immediately put away.

Well, our laundry closet is in a bedroom we added onto the house, so folding is done on the couch in that room and the room is only 16 x 16 so maybe a distance of 10 feet from the dryer. But we put away loads are they are done, not all at once. We do about six loads of laundry a week, so 6 trips throughout the process, and a single load of laundry is pretty easy to handle without dropping.
I need to get a life - I do at least a dozen loads (but every other rather than weekly) just for me! I do have a downstairs primary bedroom so that helps!

I have never understood being upset someone completed a household task.
I don't think anyone is upset that someone completed a household task. They are typically upset when something is ruined or causes more work.

I don’t get it. How dirty are peoples clothes that they need separate baskets? I’ve never even thought about using different baskets. We have hampers in the bathrooms and bedrooms, they get emptied into baskets which get taken to the laundry room and when clothes are clean and dry they get put back into the baskets to be folded and put away. Thought this was normal?
I suppose it's up to individual opinion, but other people's socks, underwear, and used washcloths, while not really "filthy" are still a little gross to me.

My kids (17 & 19) have a fabric-type hamper upstairs and we only do laundry once every week to ten days. It gets smelly so I definitely wouldn't want to put my freshly clean clothes in it. The plastic open baskets don't really have that issue and can easily be wiped down. So, I do the same as you with using baskets to transport the clothes to/from the laundry but I would not reuse the fabric hamper for the clean clothes.

We have a dirty clothes hamper in the main ensuite (off our bedroom). The kids are made bring their dirty washing there every morning. I then sort it into darks / lights / towels etc then walk across the hallway into the laundry with it in my arms to be washed. Laundry basket is used to convey it outside once washed to the clothesline to dry.

I then have 2 baskets when it’s dried. One for folding as it comes off the line and the second for items that need ironing.

I don't think anyone is upset that someone completed a household task. They are typically upset when something is ruined or causes more work.
I think it is about control more than anything.

Some people have a personality that requires them to be in control.

Or maybe it is about being able to say they did it all and if helped they can't say that.

But let's be honest, everyone on this message board is old enough to know how to do a load of laundry. I can't think of a valid reason why a 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, or 80 year old does not know how to do a load of laundry.

Will they do it the same way? No. Will they use the same amount of detergent or fabric softener, no. Will the different method ruin the clothes? Highly unlikely.

I think a lot of spouses also have convinced their spouses they are helpless and can't reliable perform household tasks as a method to keep from helping.

My wife and I decided that if we felt so strongly about a particular task being performed a particular way, it was our task and our task alone to do. At no point should we get upset we were not getting helped on the task because we had made it clear it had to be done our way or the highway. We actually have no tasks either of us feels strongly about but we did have the conversation.

But for anything else the most important thing is the task getting done.

I think it is about control more than anything.

Some people have a personality that requires them to be in control.

Or maybe it is about being able to say they did it all and if helped they can't say that.

But let's be honest, everyone on this message board is old enough to know how to do a load of laundry. I can't think of a valid reason why a 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, or 80 year old does not know how to do a load of laundry.

Will they do it the same way? No. Will they use the same amount of detergent or fabric softener, no. Will the different method ruin the clothes? Highly unlikely.

I think a lot of spouses also have convinced their spouses they are helpless and can't reliable perform household tasks as a method to keep from helping.

My wife and I decided that if we felt so strongly about a particular task being performed a particular way, it was our task and our task alone to do. At no point should we get upset we were not getting helped on the task because we had made it clear it had to be done our way or the highway. We actually have no tasks either of us feels strongly about but we did have the conversation.

But for anything else the most important thing is the task getting done.
In regards to the control - I do think a lot has to do with control. I fully admit that I'm a control freak with certain things, and I definitely know my DH is about certain things as well.

You mentioned about having the conversation, which is so key to any well functioning relationship. When my DH and I got married we made an arrangement - I do nothing outside and he does nothing inside (unless there's no other option where one of us can't do something). We've been married almost 29 years and I have never pushed a lawn mower or snow blower (I don't even know how to start them) and he barely has pushed a vacuum. He maintains the outside of the house and I maintain the inside of the house. It's a perfect arrangement (one that's better for him unless it's a really snowy winter). I recently did shovel snow, but only because he left for work at 5:30am and he had no time to snow blow, so I shoveled to prevent the upcoming rain from freezing the snow on the driveway, so there are exceptions to the arrangement. I do enjoy planting flowers, but that's an extra thing that I like to do - I wouldn't expect him to do that, plus planting is a stress reliever for me.

So, the inside work I do have control over and the outside work he has control over. He'd much rather cut the lawn himself his way, than have me do it and I totally understand. As you said, it's all about the conversation and what works best for each household. What may seem odd to one person or couple is perfect for another.

We have a divided laundry basket in the bedroom- one side darks and one side whites. When a side is full they get washed. They are taken out of the dryer, folded, and taken to the bedroom to be put away. We don't put them back in the hamper.

At Disney we just have 1 Hamper, 1 Drying Rack and the supplied Laundry Basket.

At home we have 2 Drying Racks, 2 to 3 Hampers per bedroom for sorting (Not that DS can sort anything or even get it to the hamper or even the bedroom for that matter). We then have a few laundry baskets but they don't get much use.
They are mainly to hold wet clothes if I have not set up a drying rack yet. On occasion dry ones will go in the laundry basket but not often. We usually just bring them straight from the dryer to our bed, fold and then put away. (W/D is located in ensuite) I guess we then put the folded ones for DS in the laundry basket and carry to his room.

I need to get a life - I do at least a dozen loads (but every other rather than weekly) just for me! I do have a downstairs primary bedroom so that helps!
When both kids were home, in school and playing sports they both went through three changes of clothes a day. My wife says she was doing over 30 loads a week back then.
Fortunately my wife and I decided 41 years ago we could only consider a single story house, so everything is on the same floor, no stairs. The houses on both sides of me are two story and both are various times have been sold because the owners were tired of stairs.

Two plastic laundry baskets in the bedroom. Each basket contains separate laundry bags by type (one for dark colors, one for light colors, one for sheets & towels, one for my undergarments, and one for his undergarments) in order to have it pre-sorted. When the contents of each bag is washed, the bag is also washed. Clean clothes are then put into the empty basket to be brought upstairs for folding. I've been doing it this way since I was in college back in the Stone Age.

our laundry room has a closet in it. i have a rolling hamper in it that all non clothing goes into so i can roll it over to the washer to load. the room also has a deep sink which largely goes unused so i have everyone put dirty clothes in there (if something needs stain treatment they roll it and put it on the counter adjacent). a full sink is pretty much a full load. clean stuff goes into the old school plastic laundry baskets to be folded or hung up.

anything i can do to save on my back is optimal-that rolling cart has been great!

I have a large wicker hamper in my bedroom with a canvas bag inside. All dirty clothes and towels go in there and I remove the canvas bag at least once a day and take it to the laundry room where I sort those items into rolling laundry carts with canvas bags. I have 2 carts—one has three compartments—lights, whites and darks and the other has two compartments—towels/washcloths and cleaning rags. When the bag is full I do a load. Sheets and other large bedding gets piled on the laundry room floor. Clean items go from the dryer/drying rack into a basket to be taken upstairs to my bedroom to be folded/hung on my bed while I watch television. So I guess my baskets never get “contaminated”

I use the same basket. It sits in my closet until it's full, I take it to the laundry room and do the laundry, then I fold the clothes, put them back in the basket, and then it goes back in the closet after I put my clothes away.

The all-time question for me is...do you separate light and dark clothes? I couldn't care less about doing this.

The all-time question for me is...do you separate light and dark clothes? I couldn't care less about doing this.
I think my mom still nearly has a heart attack everytime I mention that I just throw all the clothes in together since that's not how she taught me to do laundry. If there's something that might run/bleed, I wash it with the towels. I've never had an issue in 25+ years of doing my own laundry. I only do a full load or two of my clothes every other week-ish. I'm not doing multiple partial loads of lights/darks/etc and I really can't put off laundry until I have full loads of each color.

With respect to the thread's question - dirty clothes go into a big wicker hamper outside my bedroom. When full, those clothes go into a plastic basket and down to the basement laundry. Clean clothes get folded and go back into the plastic basket and back upstairs to eventually get put away before the next time I do laundry. I do use a separate basket for my dog's laundry (blankets and reusable wee pads) and that gets wiped out with a chlorox cloth pretty frequently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter