Latest iPhone Updates

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!
iPhone users - what do you love and what do hate about the recent update?

I love that photos now includes pets in the section where it automatically groups pictures of "people" it recognizes. It's so easy to find photos I want that way!

I'm annoyed that when I'm typing a post and try to add something, it keeps highlighting (and changing) the nearest word instead of just putting the cursor in between words where I thought I clicked.

Have an android phone that is a few years old and still works fine. I have no need for all of the latest/trendiest things Apple is always pushing with their newest phones. I read somehwere there is a new feature that lets you copy the profile information from someone else's phone when you use that 'touch' feature. Personally, I think such features should default to OFF and then let the user decide if they want to activate it.

With most software, my impression is the company could care less how something might have the potential for misuse and fling out 'enhancements' that are rarely needed or used in order to be trendy or sell more of their product. Curious what part of their new phone is made from titanium and how it makes for a better product.

iPhone users - what do you love and what do hate about the recent update?

I love that photos now includes pets in the section where it automatically groups pictures of "people" it recognizes. It's so easy to find photos I want that way!

I'm annoyed that when I'm typing a post and try to add something, it keeps highlighting (and changing) the nearest word instead of just putting the cursor in between words where I thought I clicked.
Your favorites and dislikes mirror mine. The highlighted word makes me crazy, it just won’t let it go. There’s a new update so hopefully that fixes it. I do like that it will correct your sentence structure or at least point it out.
Have an android phone that is a few years old and still works fine. I have no need for all of the latest/trendiest things Apple is always pushing with their newest phones. I read somehwere there is a new feature that lets you copy the profile information from someone else's phone when you use that 'touch' feature. Personally, I think such features should default to OFF and then let the user decide if they want to activate it.

With most software, my impression is the company could care less how something might have the potential for misuse and fling out 'enhancements' that are rarely needed or used in order to be trendy or sell more of their product. Curious what part of their new phone is made from titanium and how it makes for a better product.
You cannot randomly just grab someone’s info, you both have to be active participants to get it to work. Phones right on top of each other and give permission to accept. To transfer your contact you have to actually select it. It’s not a passive thing, you have to actually engage it. In the setting your selections are Off, Contacts Only, or Everyone for ten minutes. It’s that way so people can’t just grab your stuff. If people had Airdrop off most likely the tapping thing did not auto turn on. The alarm over this is ridiculous. Apple details what the updates do right on the update page. The problem is people don’t bother to read it. If they did then they could make an informed decision. There has been some form of this on smart phones for years. Yours probably has the equivalent.

eta: I hope you and others read this as informative and not defensive. I truly do not care what brand of phone anyone uses. I’ve just been seeing these videos and “warnings” made by people (not you) who clearly have not used it or just want to strike fear for clicks. It’s making me kind of nuts.

Anyway, it worked a treat in Disneyland this week being able to swap photos with my kids.

Last edited:
Your favorites and dislikes mirror mine. The highlighted word makes me crazy, it just won’t let it go.

Assuming it’s the update I ran last night, it’s still doing the highlighting thing. The only thing I’ve noticed is some capitalization issues, where it would immediately seem to shift back to lowercase in some social media apps, seems to be corrected.

Assuming it’s the update I ran last night, it’s still doing the highlighting thing. The only thing I’ve noticed is some capitalization issues, where it would immediately seem to shift back to lowercase in some social media apps, seems to be corrected.
Last night’s update ( IOS 17.1.2) was a security patch/fix but the one on Wed or Thurs. was more expansive and probably the one you are speaking about.

Sometimes it accurately anticipates what I’m writing but other times it guess correctly but when selected doesn’t activate. Weird.

Last edited:
Last night’s update ( IOS 17.1.2) was a security patch/fix but the one on Wed or Thurs. was more expansive and probably the one you are speaking about.

Sometimes it accurately anticipates what I’m writing but other times it guess correctly but when selected doesn’t activate. Weird.

That’s been a huge issue for me of late. I select the correct word, it picks another, if I’m not paying close enough attention I wind up sending all out gibberish.

Not that's it's any consolation, but the auto spell-check on Android phones doesn't work any better...........LOL. I always have to proofread my texts before sending to eliminate the wrongly substituted words. I was able to turn off that feature, but the next time you restart your phone it comes right back. Haven't found any way to permanently disable that annoying feature.

You cannot randomly just grab someone’s info, you both have to be active participants to get it to work. Phones right on top of each other and give permission to accept.
Yes, I had this happen accidentally yesterday while holding my phone and my son’s phone sandwiched together in one hand. I was able to decline it.

I was also holding other kids phones in my purse. They were not contacts of mine so the info share did not activate. They were go kart racing on a track, so needed to keep the phones safe.

@PollyannaMom the pet category sounds helpful! I had no idea that was a part of the update, so will go check that out.

Texting: I do not like having to use the + symbol next to the typed message field to access camera, photo, stickers etc. I liked the bar of choices below the text field.

is there anyway to get back to that?
Hmmm. I still have the plus symbol next to the message box well at least for iMessaging. Let me look for an android contact…

Okay an android user still has + next to the box which now says “text message” in the center. Maybe toggle off and restart?

For anyone that may find it helpful. You can precision control your cursor while typing on iOS by holding down the space bar. Press it for a second or two, then while still holding space bar down, move to wherever you want (in between words, in the middle of a word, etc.).

Yes, I had this happen accidentally yesterday while holding my phone and my son’s phone sandwiched together in one hand. I was able to decline it.

I was also holding other kids phones in my purse. They were not contacts of mine so the info share did not activate. They were go kart racing on a track, so needed to keep the phones safe.

@PollyannaMom the pet category sounds helpful! I had no idea that was a part of the update, so will go check that out.
The pet category is awesome!
For anyone that may find it helpful. You can precision control your cursor while typing on iOS by holding down the space bar. Press it for a second or two, then while still holding space bar down, move to wherever you want (in between words, in the middle of a word, etc.).
I love that feature and use it often. What PollyannaMom and I are talking about is accidentally highlighting a word say by touching too close to it, it will NOT let it go no matter what you try, tapping in a different place, holding down the space bar etc. It’s definitely some kind of bug. I usually end up deleting it and typing it again but that introduces the system thinking you don’t mean that word now and correcting to weird non words.

I love that feature and use it often. What PollyannaMom and I are talking about is accidentally highlighting a word say by touching too close to it, it will NOT let it go no matter what you try, tapping in a different place, holding down the space bar etc. It’s definitely some kind of bug. I usually end up deleting it and typing it again but that introduces the system thinking you don’t mean that word now and correcting to weird non words.
haven’t encountered this yet, but I guess it something I can look forward to ;) (or maybe I’ll get lucky and update will fix it before i get frustrated by it)

Texting: I do not like having to use the + symbol next to the typed message field to access camera, photo, stickers etc. I liked the bar of choices below the text field.

is there anyway to get back to that?
I’m pretty sure that’s being universally panned. Kind of surprised they went with that -I’d love to hear an explanation on how that’s supposed to be an improvement

I like the + symbol instead of the bar. I find it more intuitive and easier to get out of. I also like that I can arrange the list however I like and leave off stuff I never use.
It was also possible to rearrange the list on the bar, so I only needed 1 click to access my gifs or photos. Now I have to hit the plus sign and choose them. Annoying.

Pretty certain the new autocorrect is impacting my blood pressure. I know for sure steam has come out of my ears several times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter