Late Trip Report ::LONG::

StephAus

Earning My Ears
I had really hoped to have posted this within a day or 2 of being home, but picked up this nasty bug and haven't been able to fully shake it yet:sick:. Anyway am a little better so decided to get down to it!

My sister, A (22) and I (23) had started thinking about a trip to New York about a year and a half ago. Of course, we kept adding stops to our trip, and I mean you can't be in LA and not go to Disneyland right!? I had always wanted to go to Disneyland as a kid, and visit Minnie Mouse, and now I had my opportunity. We booked out flights with V Australia about 9 months out. It was a pretty good deal I think, although tbh, I forget what we paid. I banned myself from checking prices for flights from then on! Fast forward 9 months and we had booked all our hotels in the US. Ironically all 3 on Expedia. I kept watching a heap of different websites for the best deals, but as it turned out Expedia gave us the best prices. I didn't really have any particular hotel in mind for NY or Vegas, but did want Hojo for Disneyland since I'd only heard good things about them.

To cut a long story short we flew from our regional town to Melbourne with Qantas (wasn't able to get a Virgin Blue flight on our V Australia ticket). Then in Melbourne, checked our luggage through to LA and checked us in for our flight to SYD. Once arriving in Sydney, we headed to the transfers desk, hopped on a bus and were bussed to the International terminal, where we were able to check in for our V Australia flight. Our ticket said boarding was at 7.30pm (for our 9.05pm flight) which didn't seem quite right, nevertheless being around 7.20pm at the time, we hightailed it to our gate, going through all the security hoopla. I'm thinking it must have been a misprint, since we didn't start boarding till about 8.15pm.

Before too long we were onboard and in the air. The in-flight entertainment is pretty good. I must admit I'm not at all familiar with the offerings of other long haul airlines and the only other international flight I had taken was to NZ with Qantas, and that was back when they had the drop down tellys every few rows. But V had tons of movies, lots of new releases, TV shows, TV channels, and a huge selection of CDs.

Now the flight itself. Horrible! And that's putting it lightly. Being novice international travellers, we chose window seats, we know better now. I had a guy next to me who was asleep (or seemed to be asleep) for about 2/3 of the flight, so we couldn't get up, go to the loo, walk around, we were prisoners in our seats. 13 something hellish hours later, we touched down to rain in LA, which set a theme for the part of our trip in LA- RAIN!

LAX really wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Immigration only took about 15mins to get through. And customs was even quicker. We headed outside to track down the Disneyland Express bus. There wasn't any real signage saying where they stop so we waited in the general area for what was only a couple of minutes before we saw the unmissable bus pull up. We got onto the empty bus with one other guy who was also going to Hojo's. We were on our way to Disneyland :woohoo:

I just want to stop at this point and say LA highways are INSANE. I seriously applaud anyone who dares to take on the highways and survives, let alone gets to their destination!

Before long we were in our room at Hojo's. I loved Hojo. It's not a 5* hotel, but everything seemed very clean and well maintained. And even for a person who prefers modern stylings, the retro-ness grows on you. I especially loved the gardens, and standing on our courtyard watching the rain on the flowers across from us.

I had wanted to pick up our tickets before our first day so that we were all set to go in the morning. So we set out in the rain. I love Disneyland at night and was disappointed we were right there but couldn't go in yet! We found the ticket booths and were quite surprised when the cast member mentioned we were her first customers in an hour! The rain must really drive people away. She was very friendly, giving us our first visit badges, and giving us info about the park, although she did say the park was going to open at 9, but on the website it did say 8 (which turned out to be right). We headed back to the hotel, with our shoes full of water, to rest for our first big day at Disneyland.

My Ridemax plan said to be at the gates ½ hr before they open. I had intended to be, but as it turned out we didn’t get there until about 10min to. That was actually ok, because it put us about 4th in line. We walked through those gates and I almost cried. I couldn’t believe we were there- at Disneyland! I wanted to follow the Ridemax plan pretty carefully for the morning portion at least, so we did. We walked onto almost all the rides; Peter Pan’s Flight, Mr Toads Wild Ride, Small World Holiday. We were supposed to do Mad Tea Party followed by Splash Mountain but with Mad Tea Party closed to rain, and not wanting to get more wet by Splash, we decided on Buzz Lightyear (where I was slaughtered- I maintain my shooter was broken!). We had done all this in only about 1hr 15 mins- way ahead of the schedule. It was at this time I realised that we weren’t going to need it that day, since we were walking onto most rides and there was no crowd (from what I could see for my first day there). So being way ahead of schedule we went to Main St to grab a bite to eat. I cannot remember where we were, but I think it was the place next to the Gibson Girl Ice cream place. Anyway like everything else in America the food was huge! I got a cookie which turned out to be the size of my head, and A got a muffin that might as well have been the size of a bucket!

I forget what order we did the following because all I remember is the rain! It was relentless. Anyway we went on Roger Rabbit’s CarToon Spin. We visited Mickey; we only waited about 3 mins before being let in, and to our surprise Mickey was standing there with Goofy! We then went next door to see Minnie, and we literally walked in the door and straight into the photo area with her- no wait at all. I loved Toon Town, even as an adult it was fun exploring. We rode Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, as our first E ticket ride. I loved it! I loved walking through Frontierland too, looking at the ground, seeing horse shoe and cart tracks. We were heading to Indiana Jones when we saw a group gathered, so we poked our head through and saw Jasmine and Aladdin! Of course we had to join the short line for a photo. Meeting our first face characters was a little awkward, but they were lovely. Jasmine was beautiful and Aladdin’s teeth were cartoon white! Anyway onto Indi. What a bumpy ride! You definitely don’t want to do this one after eating lunch. All of the effects are really cool; I had to close my eyes as the big rock was coming towards us. We then went to Pirates of The Caribbean. That is an amazing ride. And for something that’s as old as it is, way cool. I forgot we did the Matterhorn somewhere in there too. That was one of the longest waits we had, about 10mins.

We had about 20 or so mins before our PS reservation at Blue Bayou. The rain was bucketing down by now. We were saturated and there were puddles everywhere. We just wanted to get a bit dry before lunch, so headed nearby to The Enchanted Tiki Room. I’m not sure if other Aussies are familiar with this or it was just our family that didn’t grow up with this, but it seemed like we were the only ones in the room that had no idea what was going on. The Cast Member running the show was hilarious, but A and I were just sitting there while everyone around us was singing along to the songs. Oh well, it was an experience!

It was time for lunch now. We were about 10 minutes early for our PS but we let in after a couple of minutes. We had a pretty good table in the second row from the water. What a wonderful place to have lunch, so beautiful. I’d encourage anyone to go there if you can squeeze it into your budget. We decided to split a meal to save money, but paid the extra in order to get our own sides and appetisers. I got the gumbo, which was nice, but a little too spicy for me. A got the salad, which she also enjoyed, but she said it had way too much dressing on it, so perhaps order the dressing on the side. We split the Tesoro Island Chicken (I think it was called). It was quite nice, although it was probably one of the meals we were served in America that I could have eaten a whole one of.

It was nearly time to head over to DCA to see Aladdin, so we wandered through the shops on Main St on our way out.

Everything I had read suggested that we be at Aladdin about ½ hr before show time, so we were, but there was literally no one else there. So we decided to check out DCA a little and come back closer to start time. We looked around and ended up at Paradise Pier. Almost as soon as we got to Paradise Pier the rain had stopped and we caught our first glimpse of the famed Californian sun! We decided to have a go on the swinging gondola on Mickey’s Fun Wheel. It wasn’t as scary as I thought, but definitely don’t do this one after eating! We got back to the theatre about 10mins prior to show time, and there was a bit of a line at this stage. They were only filling the orchestra level of the theatre, and even that wasn’t completely full. But the show, wow! I really was not expecting something of that calibre going in.

We park hopped again over to Disneyland, only to find the park is now closing at 8pm, not 11, due to the rain. A bit of a shame, but what can you do? Instead of ‘wasting’ park time eating, we decided to do a few rides again and eat at Downtown Disney. I had wanted to do BTMRR again, but some of the track had flooded so it was shut down! We tried to find the entrance to the Monorail to take us to DTD, but couldn’t find the proper entrance, instead we found a lift and that took us up to the track. I still have no idea where it was!

We decided on ESPN Zone for tea. What a place that is. I had a go at counting all of the TV screens I could see, I got to 32 and lost count. And that’s only in the restaurant area. We had a nice meal there, but didn’t get to check the whole place out since we had another early morning.

So the next morning we woke up to rain, yet again. We were going to spend half of the day at DCA. We went straight to Soarin’. Only a couple of mins in the queue and we were hearing Puddy walk us through everything. What an amazing ride! We were in the last row, and thank goodness, I did get a little queasy and had to close my eyes and look at the people’s feet above us to remind me it wasn’t real. But wow! It really feels that you can touch the trees. I can’t even imagine what the world one is going to be like.

Next A was determined to get me on Screamin’. I promised her I’d go on it once (reluctantly). I really don’t love rollercoaster’s (although I think that might have changed now- don’t tell anyone) so had watched the ride on You Tube a couple of times and kept repeating to myself “It’s only 2 mins, it’s only 2 mins”. Honestly I don’t remember the queue at all, all I know was I was sitting in that seat and we took off the launch bit. I was already screaming and it hadn’t started yet! The next 1.5min or so was the scariest of my life. I screamed the whole time. I knew my eyes would be closed the entire ride so I asked A to tap me on the shoulder when we were going to go upside down. I had already thought we’d done it when I got the tap. I did open my eyes once about ¾ into the ride, but then we took a scary corner so they sealed shut again! When we got off the ride, my legs were jelly, my mouth was wide open from the screaming, and tears were streaming down my eyes. I still don’t know if I was laughing or crying!

Still a bit wobbly, we joined the line for TSMM. This, along with Matterhorn was one of the longest lines we had, probably 15 mins. But it was well worth the wait. I think it is much better done than Buzz. Oh, and I won by the way! We had another go around of Mickey’s Fun Wheel, the swinging gondola again. It started to rain again, so we got some food from the Farmers Market (I think), and sat down under some shade and watched the rain pour in. We were hoping to wait for it to die down, but it kept getting harder and harder. We stood in a doorway of a shop for a bit trying to wait for a break in the rain. But there wasn’t any. I had never seen rain like that in my life, where it was once clear, there were now huge puddles. Exhausted, we decided to go back to the hotel to dry off a little and then come back a bit later.

When we got back I turned on the TV and the news was reporting that there was a tornado warning for the Orange county area and that it will still be in effect for another ½ hr! They were reporting huge floods, some guys car got flipped over from the wind. It was crazy! Anyway, after a bit of a nap, we got up and there was no rain! A bit more optimistic we headed back to Disneyland for our last few hours there. And what better welcome to our last night at Disneyland than a welcome from Mickey and Minnie, posing for photos at the top of Main St. I told A to get in line for photos while ran to City Hall to change back some of my Disney Dollars. One of the Cast Members in City Hall mentioned that she had lived in Orange County her whole life and there had never been a tornado warning- that made me feel special. Anyway, as it turned out Mickey and Minnie had to get ready for the parade so they closed off the line to A, oh well, it is still pretty magical walking into DL and seeing Mickey and Minnie there!

On our last night I hoped to finally do MHTP, but it was still closed because of the rain. But we did get to do BTMRR again. We also did Finding Nemo- good for kids, I guess; Innoventions- honestly, a bit lame and Astro Orbitor- I thought was more fun than Dumbo, but I did have to steer with my feet because I’m guessing it’s designed for an adult and a kid!

With a tear in my eye, we left Disneyland. We went back to DTD and despite A wanting to go back to ESPN Zone, we decided on the Rainforest Cafe. We were told a 40 min wait, which I was expecting, so it was ok. We went to check out the shops of DTD while we waited for our table. I think it was Ralph Breneman’s that had something on because there were a few drunk people walking around creating a bit of nonsense. It is strange being in a Disney environment, but having idiots like that walking around. Whatever, even they couldn’t spoil the magic too much. After shopping up a storm at World of Disney, we headed back and got our table. As we sat down though a thunderstorm broke! Our waitress gently explained to us, though, that this happens every ½ or so. After a great meal, in a way cool restaurant, we finally had to leave. We walked through the deserted DTD, through the entrance area of Disneyland, all with the music playing.

I just a couple of words about Disneyland before I move onto the rest of our time in LA. Even though it rained every day, when I do eventually go back it will probably be in (their) winter. I’m sure the rain had an effect on the crowd levels, but even at night when there were more people out, the wait for rides wasn’t bad at all. Plus DCA was looking rather empty, in a sad way. Another thing, Disneyland was spotlessly clean. We always saw people sweeping, cleaning, picking up rubbish. One bad point, well disappointing more than anything, we had our picture taken with Mickey & Goofy and gave the photographer our card and they swiped it, but when we went to get some pictures, it wasn’t on there. Luckily we had a picture taken on our camera too, so we weren’t photoless, but just a warning that technology blips do happen.

Ok, if you are still with me, I’ll breeze through day 3 & 4.

On the Thursday (day 3) we went to Universal Studios. They forecasted the most rain for the week on this day. There were evacuations of some neighbourhoods due to mud slides. Just nasty weather. But nevertheless, we were going to try and have a good day. We got a ticket through Greyline (possibly) that included a bus to Universal and tickets into it. We got there just after opening and picked up a map. As it turns out they have special maps for wet weather that points out dry locations and dry rides, quite handy I thought. We decided to do the studio tour first thing, while the rain held off (which it did for part of it). Even though it is scripted, it is pretty fascinating, showing the effects, sets, etc. After the studio tour, which goes for quite a while, we went on The Simpsons Ride. I will state this now; this is the best ride at Universal. We ended up doing this one again before we left. We grabbed some lunch using a coupon I found online and ate under some shelter while the rain bucketed down. We did the Terminator ride (very loud!), Shrek (very violent!) and saw the performing animals show (way cute!), and the Blues Bros show. The Blues Bros, I am really not an expert and don’t like critiquing things I know nothing about, but they were bad. I mean they could sing, but I don’t think their heart was in it, the acting was very shoddy. Another good thing about Universal in the rain, they had opened up a big theatre area and were offering free coffee and hot chocolate and playing Madagascar on a big screen. It was quite good, you could come in, sit down at one of the tables they had there, dry off, warm up and then head back out again. We used this a few times. Just as we were leaving for the day we walked past the House of Horrors. There was a person standing outside saying that it’s still open if anyone wants to go in. Originally I was adamant I wasn’t going to go through, I knew that it had people jumping out and scaring you and both A & I don’t like that so we weren’t going to do it. We walked past and I thought I had done so many things I was afraid of, what’s one more. So A agreed and we went back. We got the spiel, there are performers in there don’t touch them, they won’t touch you. We were a couple of meters inside when I heard someone else come in behind us. I stopped and we let the man go ahead of us, as a kind of buffer. I was at the end of our little group so thought I was ‘safe’ but when things come after you with a fake knife, it doesn’t feel too safe. I think we did that attraction in record time. It was scary and I’ll be forever thankful to our knight who ‘protected’ us :).

After a big, wet day at Universal, we jumped back on the bus to Anaheim. Oh, one other thing about Universal, its set way up in the hills, and we only caught glimpses of the view, but what we saw was beautiful. Anyway, it took much longer getting back to the hotel, about 2 hrs, compared to 40 or so mins getting there. We were dropped off near Mimi’s, and though what a better time to try there infamous food. I think it was my favourite meal of the trip. I had some kind of pork chop from their smaller portions menu. It was good to have some healthy, home style food, with veggies! If we were staying longer, we’d definitely go back there.

Now for our last day in LA, and we were headed to Hollywood. We had a hop on hop off bus tour booked, so just needed to get there. I had planned out our bus and train routes, but it is still a little nerve wrecking to see if everything is right. But I needn’t have worried, because it was all really easy. We got to Hollywood and went to pick up or HOHO tickets, only to be told that the HOHO bus tour was cancelled. We were offered a number to call to get our money back or we could go on a celebrity homes tour. With nothing else planned besides the HOHO bus, a little disappointed, we did the other bus tour. Originally I didn’t want to do a celebrity home’s tour because I felt it too intrusive, plus these celebs have so much security around their house, so what can you see anyway? But as it turns out there was really not much ‘celebrity’ in this tour. Sure we went past some famous houses, but I more enjoyed looking around the neighbourhood and at houses you can actually see. Hollywood Hills, Beverly Hills, they are stunning neighbourhoods, plus we got to cruise down Rodeo Drive. All in all, it was, unexpectedly, a good tour. We went for lunch in Hollywood & Highland at a place called uWink. It’s a cute place, unlike anything in my hometown anyway, where you have your own individual screen and you order your drinks and meals from that. You can also play games against people from your table or anyone in the restaurant. After lunch we went and booked in at the Kodak theatre for the next tour. The tour of the theatre is quite short, only ½ hr, but it is a nice theatre. We also had a look at Madame Taussades. It was our first time to one of these so was a pretty cool experience. Some of the sculptures are really real, some are pretty far off, some come off well in photos, and others not so well. Totally exhausted, and having done just about all we can, we decided to cut our day short. So we hopped back on the subway, then onto the train, and then to the bus again.

Back at the hotel, we were working out what to do for the rest of the evening, when I remembered Wal-Mart was open till 10. So I Googled the bus route and worked out a pretty easy way of getting there. So we went outside into the cold and waited for the bus. Before long the bus was coming, and went straight by us. As it turns out we were waiting at the ART stop, not the OCTA stop, oops. So we waited another 20mins for the next bus. I always wanted to go to Wal-Mart, it seemed very American. But once there, I really wasn’t that impressed. Don’t get me wrong, it’s massive, at least the Buena Park one was. And they had a lot of different things, but not much variety, if you know what I mean. Their supermarket section was cool though. I picked up some Pop Tarts to take home.

We went outside and waited for the bus. And almost like a final kick up the bum from LA weather, a storm started. No kidding, we were huddled under this tiny bus shelter and it was raining, there was thunder and lightning, and then it started hailing. By the time we got off the bus in Anaheim though, the ground was dry. There had been a storm in Buena Park, but nothing in Anaheim.

I had booked a car with LaFleur Limos to pick us up at 4.15am the next morning to take us to the airport for our flight to NY. We were checked out and waiting in the rain. 4.15am came and went. No car. I had the guy at the desk call us a taxi, and thankfully he let us wait inside. The taxi came, and after a more expensive ride than I was expecting, we were at the airport. Luckily I had allowed enough time, so we weren’t late. One highlight at the airport though, was we did see Tommy Lee and kids go through security next to us.

I’ll leave it here and won’t go into the NY part of our trip, because honestly, if you are still with me you deserve a medal. Or at least one of my Pop Tarts!

Suffice it to say, we had an amazing trip. I can’t wait to go back to Disneyland one day, hopefully sans the rain, but even if it does rain, who cares, Disneyland is magical!

Great trip report! I always ask for an aisle seat on the plane as I like to walk around and streched my legs. I am looking forward to flying with V Australia in September.:)

Thanks for that trip report, it sounds like you had so much fun.

We went to uWink too, it was great fun. Did you go across the road to the Disney Soda Fountain? We loooooooved it. The ice cream sundaes were unbelievable - it was like trying to eat several litres of ice cream in one sitting. Even my kids didn't finish theirs :lmao::lmao:

xxx

Sounds like you had a great time, despite the weather! I'd love to hear about the rest of your trip seeming as we're going to NYC after Disneyland as well.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Disney is so magical that even the rain can't stop you enjoying yourself! :thumbsup2

Thanks guys!

Yes, even torrential rain can't spoil Disneyland! I still find myself dreaming about being there, and really can't wait to go back some day.

You know I was just looking back to see exactly how much rain we had while we were there and it was something like this:
Monday- 32mm
Tuesday- 20.1mm
Wednesday- 24.6mm
Thursday- 28.7mm
And apart from 2 other days in Jan of a little rain, that was all they had- in other words, we couldn't have timed it better :lmao:

Anyway I'll copy a kind of trip report I posted on TripAdvisor for the NY bit. I didn't do a day-by-day, but hit the highlights.

We stayed at The Pod Hotel in a bunk room. It is in a decent location. The rooms are clean and in good repair, and although TINY, they are functional.The shared bathroom never bothered us too much as there was always one available.

Things We Did & Impressions

Times Square- well, it's on almost every first timer's list to NY, and it should be. The lights, etc, it is definately a sight to behold. But one visit was enough for me. It was mainly the touts every few meters that bothered me, but you get the hang of politely shaking your head while smiling.

Central Park- one word, AMAZING. No, one word is not enough. What a beautiful place in the city. We had originally only planned one visit, but had to go back for another visit. We've now seen it as a glorious winter wonderland, covered in a blanket of snow, now I'd like to see it in full bloom. Another thing I noticed in the park, New Yorkers love to run. We were always seeing runners, and hey why wouldn't you want to run in a park as lovely as that!

Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island- firstly, be prepared for the security, it's almost exactly like airport security. Secondly I recommend the audio guides. They are quite good and give some interesting info about both places. I only went as far as the SOL museum, which is a good little museum, with replicas of the face and foot of Ms Liberty. But sis climbed to the crown (I am way too claustrophobic and scared of heights to have been able to make it). According to her recount you have to have a decent level of fitness to do it, she had the beginnings of a cold when she done it, so with the help of 2 wonderful Irish ladies, she made it to the crown. Definately, definately get the audio tour of Ellis Island, it adds another depth to the experience, with the sounds and voices of people who went through there. And I'll admit to being bought to tears by one story in particular.

Museums- we visited the Met, MoMA and the Museum of Natural History. Just re-mentioning that both the Met and MNH are pay what you wish, I think we paid $30 for the met and $20 for MNH (for 2), and no one questioned it. My favourite was the Met. In particular I loved the French rooms (17th C possibly), but some of the paintings there are just phenomonal and I'm not really an arty person at all. MoMA I'm still not too sure about. We didn't make it to the design section, which is my favourite. We mainly were walking around looking at exhibits saying "this is art?", I guess there is a reason behind just placing objects on a table, or painting a canvas one shade of red, but neither of us "got" it. The MNH, to be honest was my least favourite. I totally appreciate all the effort and work that has gone into the exhibits, but I am really not a 'science' person and was just there acompanying my sister. Not my cup of tea at all, but I'm sure there are tons of people who love it!

Broadway- the only way to see a show! We were lucky enough to see 3 shows while we were there. We started off with Jersey Boys, and despite being the youngest people we saw there ;) I loved it, and am still talking about it. There's a reason that it's such a huge success, and if you haven't yet seen it, SEE IT! We also saw Wicked and The Lion King. Both were amazing productions, but Jersey Boys is still by far my favourite.

Sports- sis wanted to see the Knicks and I wanted to see the Rangers (since we don't really have ice hockey in Australia). First up were the Rangers. I was checking out their previous games before we left and from what I gathered they were about middle of the road. They lost though. Something like 5-1. The fans weren't real happy with them, still it was a new and exciting experience for us. The next night we went to see the Knicks. It was fascinating to see MSG as a hockey rink one night and a basketball court the next, we still can't quite work out how they do it. The Knicks put up a good fight and ended up losing by only a couple of points. The basketball was a much more exciting event than the hockey, with the dancers out every now and then. People walking around pumping the crowd up. But both games were a great experience.

TOTR & ESB- while you have to do the Empire State Building on your first visit, because it's the ESB, Top of the Rock wins hands down. We went to TOTR at about 4pm and there was no wait at all to go up. It's such an amazing view of Central Park and ESB. We went to ESB at about 10pm on the same day. There was only a handful of other people there, so it was a breeze getting to the top. It was really cool seeing the city at night, but still preferred the view from TOTR. One thing I didn't really appreciate about ESB was being hussled by the 2 guys trying to sell us audio tours, they were quite relentless and did put a bit of a dampner on my ESB experience.

Food & Dining- first up I love Junior's cheesecake. We had it the first night we were there, and then had to go back for more on our last night. Yumo! We went for brunch on a Sunday morning around 11am at Jane in Soho (I believe), wow that place was really pumping. We also ate at a diner somewhere near 14th st I think (I had no idea where we were), anyway, it was called something like Good Stuff Diner, but it was cheaper, had better service and way bigger portions than a place we at a couple of days later in Times Square. I think that place was called Lindy's. Anyway, we weren't impressed with them at all. A loopy waitress, mediocre food, we were really only there trying to escape our coldest day in NY. Finally Zabars. I am a bit of a foodie who loves to cook, so Zabars was amazing to visit. Sis, who is almost like an anti-foodie, was not at all impressed with the tight space and the smells, so I didn't get to spend as long as I wanted to, looking around. On my next visit to NY, I am definately getting a suite with a kitchen so I can cook up some of the goodies from there.

Getting Around- we mainy took the subway, but used cabs a few times too. The subway is not as scary as it seems. I suggest getting a map of the subway before you get there. While they do have free ones there, they are huge, and I was much happier using my pocket sized guide. It becomes pretty simple working out which line you have to take. You just have to know where you are, where you want to go, and whether that's uptown or downtown. We (well, I since I was the map reader!) only made one mistake on the subway while we were there. That was on our first night when we got on a downtown train, when we were supposed to be going uptown, not a problem to correct, especially being on a 7 day unlimited pass. I'll admit to feeling uncomfortable on the subway once, with another passenger walking around begging for money. But other than that never had any problems at all in any of our trips. I actually often enjoyed the stations when there were buskers playing music, it really added atmosphere. And the cabs. I'm certain they have their own road rules because they didn't seem to be following the official ones! I actually wondered if the police just let them go, but I did see a couple pulled over by the NYPD. They were pretty easy to get any time, even in the rain, we got one pretty fast. But not after a show lets out on a Friday night. It was impossible. We kept getting town cars pulling up asking if we wanted a ride. I saw they had the TLC (is that right?) stickers on them, but I seriously doubted the legality of them hunting for passengers like that, so I thought it best to stick with the yellow cabs, in anycase we got one eventually. Just a quick question, are they allowed to do that? And would any of you New Yorkers get in one if offered a ride?

The weather was not too bad, we were expecting the worst, but were just happy to leave the rain in LA. We were surprised with some snow on one of the days, and on our last full day we had the coldest day ever 15F (-9C).

Thanks for that Steph :). We've got 10 days in NYC but will be there in the middle of summer, so I'm sure our experience will be slightly different!

Did you have to pre-book the Statue of Liberty tour or was it a walk on thing? Do you think kids could walk up it or is it really hard?

I want to see Jersey Boys too but I doubt my husband is interested. I might take my daughter instead. We are definitely going to see Mary Poppins and maybe Mamma Mia. We've seen Wicked already (and I've seen Mamma Mia already but my daughter hasn't).

Do you just get the 7 day subway pass at any subway station?

No problem ehsmum.

Being there in summer would be great, more daylight hours (it started to get dark around 4.30pm when we were there!), you won't have to fight the bitter cold ;)

Anyway, the Statue of Liberty, if you are going up to the crown you definatly have to book, they sell out weeks in advance. There's only 1 official site selling tix, here. I know they have tix where you can specify a date or a ticket that is flexible over 3 days or something, but I don't know how they work in with the crown ticket. My sister went to the crown, she did have a cold at the time too, so it was tough for her, but she did it. You can take your time going up, so if the kids want to do it, I don't see why no. I didn't, not only would I probably not have made it :), I'm afraid of stairs (falling down), am claustrophobic and scared of height, so it was never a consideration for me.

I really don't think you'd go wrong with any of the Broadway shows, they are all so amazingly done and they have the best of the best working on them. It's just so surreal sitting down at the theatre thinking WOW, I'm seeing a Broadway show. Well it was for me anyway ;)

And as for the subway, yea they sell the unlimited tickets at all stations. Either at the booth or via machine. If you haven't already, I would suggest you become familiar with reading the subway map, because once you can read it, it really is simple to get around.

If you have any other q's at all just ask, I'll do my best to answer!

Thank you so much for adding the New York part to your trip report. It bought back so many great memories of our trips to New York. From the sound of it, our experiences & reactions were very similar to yours.

EHSMUM - I just wanted to also add in a couple of points as well. With the Statue of Liberty visit - I cannot recommend enough booking in advance (very easy on the internet). Also if you can get the first ferry for the day, it will save you heaps of time waiting in lines. This would especially apply as you are going in summer. We chose not to go right up to the crown for a number of reasons. Those being that we were not exactly fit, it is a narrow spiral staircase & much hotter that the temp outside. We just didn't feel totally safe and confidant in ourselves to do it. Having said that, it can't be too bad, as so many people do choose to do it. We chose to go up to the Pedestal part (which usually has a lift, which was out of order the day we were there. It was only about 180 steps though). If you decide not to go up to the crown, this is a nice easy option which also gets you some great photos of the Statue. This needs to be prebooked also.
We have also seen a number of Broadway shows in the 3 trips we have made & our favourite by far is Jersey Boys. We were blown away by this show & came back raving about it. I had no real expectations beforehand & had actually chosen it as something our 75 year old mum might enjoy. I couldn't believe how many songs I recognised & just thought it was a great little show. If you are taking young ones, just be aware there is some swearing & the f-bomb a few times & some adult themes. We also had a 11 year old & a few older kids (not having any clue of the content before hand) & at first I was squirming, a bit worried about how they would react, but they didn't even blink! Hope this helps in your decision either way.
Two more great (& both free!) things to do in New York is to walk over the Brooklyn Bridge & to take a round trip on the Staten Island Ferry.
The walk over the bridge only takes about 25 minutes one way & has some great views & photo ops. It is also a terrific bridge to walk as the pedestrian (& cycling path) is in the middle raised above & away from the lanes of traffic below you. The Staten Island Ferry at night is awesome. Free to ride - you just hop on, get off at the other side & get straight back on the next one coming back. You sail right past the Statue of Liberty & you get to see the city all lit up (just like you do on every tv show & movie). I haven't done it, but I am guessing it would be a great trip in the daytime as well. The trip itself takes about 20 - 25 minutes one way.
If you go to Grand Central Station, there is a neat little trick for the kids (we saddo adults enjoyed it too). Below the reataurant "The Oyster Bar" is a walkway intersection (ask someone who works there if you can't find it). Place someone at one corner FACING the wall & then another person catty corner to them FACING that wall. The first person says something in a normal voice into the wall (& due to weird acoustics), the person opposite hears it as if they are standing right next to them. So you can carry on a little conversation from accross the way from each other. Don't worry about looking like idiots - lot's of people do it & it's fun & quirky!
Are you going to any theme restauarants in the US? We have found that we (kids & adults) enjoy "Bubba Gumps" (which they have in New York Times Square) & "The Rainforest Cafe". Both good experiences that we don't have here in Aus.
Have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter