Late January

shooting4life

Mouseketeer
Planning the next trip even though we already have one all figured out and ready to go in mid November.
I was thinking about Sunday-Wednesday 1/26 to 1/29. This way we will catch the new ride, allegedly, and not hit the busy time from the holiday the Monday before and miss the start of the February holidays. Hopefully everything will be up and running from the x-mas season switch back but I’m sure we will see some stuff closed for refurb.
Would like to know your thoughts on this time of year?

I believe that week is predicted as the least busy week of the whole year (based on the "Is It Packed?" website). So yes, I would absolutely go.

Sure, there will be refurb closures (as you recognized in your post). And shorter hours than when you're there in mid-November, and there probably won't be a parade or as many other entertainment options. But for me, the trade-off is worth it. Especially since you'll be there next month with when there will be lots of that kind of stuff. I would just load up on entertainment in November, and take what's available next January!

I believe that week is predicted as the least busy week of the whole year (based on the "Is It Packed?" website). So yes, I would absolutely go.

Sure, there will be refurb closures (as you recognized in your post). And shorter hours than when you're there in mid-November, and there probably won't be a parade or as many other entertainment options. But for me, the trade-off is worth it. Especially since you'll be there next month with when there will be lots of that kind of stuff. I would just load up on entertainment in November, and take what's available next January!
We will be there Sunday to Wednesday in mid November between the holiday weeks. Plan on taking all the shows in Sunday. Figure the same will be true in January with shows on Sunday and not much during the week.

Remember, Rise of the Resistance will have just opened, so it might be busier than expected. Plus there could be local discounts, etc at that time.

They haven't announced anything, but Lunar New Year is Jan 25, 2020. So the Lunar New Celebration in DCA might be happening when you're there. It's not a huge event but there are character M&Gs, food, and a small show (I think). It looks fun. Last year, they announced the dates in early-December.

Most likely, IaSW will be closed to have the overlay removed for at least some part of your trip (it was closed 1/22 to 1/31 this year), but HM should be back up. I'd also guess that at least one of the water rides might be down (just because Splash and/or GRR tend to have their refurbishments in the colder parts of the year). Other than those, it's random what is closed.

Lunar New Year festivities were conveniently announced today. So that will be in DCA from Jan 17 to Feb 9.

I'd pass. All that money for tickets and hotels during a dreary time of year weather wise with high odds of multiple attractions being down for maintenance, limited hours and limited entertainment schedules. TBH we see a lot of complaints from people about this particular time of year along the lines of "I thought it wouldn't be crowded" and "I knew rides would be down but this many is RIDICULOUS!"

Remember, Rise of the Resistance will have just opened, so it might be busier than expected. Plus there could be local discounts, etc at that time.
With ROTR opening we could see a repeat of SWGE opening and it could be a Ghost Town... or everyone and their brother with an AP might show up because last time no one showed up :rotfl2:

I'd pass. All that money for tickets and hotels during a dreary time of year weather wise with high odds of multiple attractions being down for maintenance, limited hours and limited entertainment schedules. TBH we see a lot of complaints from people about this particular time of year along the lines of "I thought it wouldn't be crowded" and "I knew rides would be down but this many is RIDICULOUS!"

Yes. This. Do not try to plan a trip based on crowd levels as it will almost surely lead to disappointment.

With ROTR opening we could see a repeat of SWGE opening and it could be a Ghost Town... or everyone and their brother with an AP might show up because last time no one showed up :rotfl2:
I have a bad feeling that after the lack of crowds at SWGE opening, they’re just going to say screw it and let the flood gates open when RotR opens.

What they do will show whether they really meant what they said about judging SWGE by “guest experience” as opposed to crowd level.

I’m interested to see what they choose to do and how people react.

Yes. This. Do not try to plan a trip based on crowd levels as it will almost surely lead to disappointment.
That and this isn't a typical January for Disneyland. I know it's been mentioned in the thread already, but with RotR opening, which is supposedly the "best ride ever", I can imagine people flooding the parks now that at least most of SW:GE is open. They know what it's about and even those who've been holding out for RotR to visit the land in its entirety will come now that they have seen what they're waiting for. I can imagine it'll be swamped, maybe not to capacity but we'll see reservations again, possibly the 4-hour time slots for the land or something similar.

Last edited:
I agree with these points. If you go in January expect ride closures, eye-sore construction (i.e. castle closure), ugly weather, and short park hours. If that is the time you want to go, you will still have a good time (it's Disneyland), but you really have to have the right expectations going in. Usually in January they announce the socal ticket deals. Many people I knew who used these tickets even knew to wait until mid-spring to use these b/c there's less construction and the weather is better.

I'd be avoiding January this year if I had the choice.

Combination of:
  • weather;
  • short park hours;
  • attraction closures;
  • ROTR opening;
  • Lunar Festival;
  • NAMM Convention;
  • MLK Holiday;
  • International and domestic tourism travelling for first taste at SW:GE.
Any time at Disneyland is great. But I think those going in January expecting "ghost town" are going to be bitterly disappointed.

Well reading all of that, it sounds like no one should go in January! I am hoping someone has something optimistic to say, but maybe there just isn’t anything optimistic to say. Is the weather so much worse than a few weeks before (Christmas time)? We’ve been right after New Year’s and the weather was fantastic this year. So I feel like it can’t change to horrendous in 3 weeks, but maybe I am wrong since I am not from So Cal.

Well reading all of that, it sounds like no one should go in January! I am hoping someone has something optimistic to say, but maybe there just isn’t anything optimistic to say. Is the weather so much worse than a few weeks before (Christmas time)? We’ve been right after New Year’s and the weather was fantastic this year. So I feel like it can’t change to horrendous in 3 weeks, but maybe I am wrong since I am not from So Cal.
In my response I said you can have fun but you have to have the right expectations. Last year during the winter months The parks had a lot of construction, rides closed with short notice, fantasmic was down, world of color was down, there was a brief period before MMM (Which wasn’t loved by many, I enjoyed it) and soundsational that were was no night entertainment. There were a few threads of posters shocked at how much stuff was down.

We went in May right before the 60th anniversary, and many rides were down getting ready for that. I do remember that the open rides had a lot of pressure on them since so many others were closed. I may just wait and see on this one. Hotels look wide open and prices are relatively speaking “good” at GCH that weekend, so it may bring a lot of locals for ROTR, but maybe not so many tourists. Since we have the Flex Pass, I will not even be able to book flights until 30 days before, so it will be a crazy trip no matter what.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter