Late August 2016 or April 2017?

BraveLittleToaster2

DIS Veteran
We can no longer go during our preferred month of January as our eldest is in middle school and ends up having to much work when missing a week of school. So that leaves us with the dreaded school vacation times to go.

We are plannin g for either this august (last week) or the week of April 10th 2017 which is the week right before Easter weekend.

With august I worry about the heat and rain. With april I worry about huge crowds as we also have a toddler so shorter waits are better.

Which would you choose?

Late August

Before or after Easter is the 1 time of the year that does not interest me at all (and I've done Christmas Day and July 4th, which at least have extra decorations and/or fireworks to make the crowds and peak rates wirth something)

Late August

Before or after Easter is the 1 time of the year that does not interest me at all (and I've done Christmas Day and July 4th, which at least have extra decorations and/or fireworks to make the crowds and peak rates wirth something)

Agree, though I haven't actually suffered the late Aug weather. I HAVE done spring breaks and agree that there may still be high heat & you get all of the crowds of other holidays with none of the silver lining of holiday decorations/events/atmosphere

We can no longer go during our preferred month of January as our eldest is in middle school and ends up having to much work when missing a week of school. So that leaves us with the dreaded school vacation times to go.

We are plannin g for either this august (last week) or the week of April 10th 2017 which is the week right before Easter weekend.

With august I worry about the heat and rain. With april I worry about huge crowds as we also have a toddler so shorter waits are better.

Which would you choose?
We like Spring Break quite a bit. My kids are in middle school and we take vacation only during school breaks. The weather is so lovely and coming from CT it is so nice to warm up for a week! We do plan and we do go to Rope Drop and we use FPP. If you do those things, you will not notice or feel the crowds. In fact, this past spring break, the week before Easter it got quite chilly at night. That meant the crowds disappeared. We were at dinner in Italy in World Showcase and I noticed it was just about 9 o'clock. My husband and I prepped the kids that it was going to be a mob scene as we tried to walk back towards International gateway. We walked out of the restaurant and World Showcase was almost deserted. We walked right up to the rail and watched Illuminations. Crazy. I'm certain it was because the temperature was in the high 40's so that drove everyone back to their resorts.
Conversely, this year we're going in June/July because with my son's baseball schedule now we can't go over Spring Break.

If you do go in August, really prepare yourself mentally for the rain. It can really get to you. Make sure you have park hoppers so if the park you are in doesn't really accomodate rainy touring like AK then you can hop to somewhere like Epcot.

I would go in late August. Many schools tend to start around early-mid August so the crowds really go down as you get later into August. In 2014 I went in early August (previously I've only gone in early November) so it was hot and crowded, but managable. We were able to ride almost everything we wanted to in all the parks in just 2 days. I would suggest getting to the parks by RD so that you can be there before it gets too hot and crowded. If the toddler gets fussy in the afternoon take them back to the hotel for a nap or a swim and go back later at night when it has cooled off a bit. Do the outdoor rides in the morning and save the afternoon for attractions that are inside. It may rain while you're there but just be prepared with ponchos. I actually like the rain because it clears out the crowds, it's how I was able to ride ToT and RnR without FPs in less than an hour :D. Good luck in whatever you decide

I think it comes down to your heat tolerance. For me August in Orlando is brutal. I will only go to WDW November- April, and April has been too hot and humid a few times, but my wife could happily go in August and have a great time.

If budget is a concern late August can have some attractive promotions.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. We have done late August many years ago and I do hate the heat...I'll admit it's brutal. But I've never been during a high volume time only late August, mid December, and january. So honestly I just don't know what to expect with April crowds.

We always do RD at the parks and head to the hotel for the afternoon due to naps. We also don't ride any big headliners that are thrills. So really only toy story is the busiest on we typically do. With that in mind....would April still be to busy for us?

Though I will give august a slight edge...since its sooner ;)

We go every year in late August and we always have a good time, but the weather is horrendous in the afternoons especially. But it clears. We enjoy the lower crowds that week a lot. The weather is perfect in April though. Tough call! I say go for August because it's so much sooner and see how you like it.

I always say "The sooner the better".

But really, it depends on when your Spring Break is. I refuse to go during any Holidays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter