Last-minute booking with two littles?

MouseFan88

Mouseketeer
I took my husband on a surprise 4-night Bahamas cruise on the Dream for his 30th birthday in 2014. I told him he owed me for my 30th ;) Life had other plans, and our second daughter was born less than a month before my 30th. So instead I got ... takeout Indian food to celebrate my special day. Ha! To his credit, DH says that I'm still owed a celebration cruise if I find one that I want. Fast forward to this week, and I found the excellent IGT/OGT/VGT offers for the 11/10 5-night on the Magic NY->PR. I'm a Type-A vacation planner extraordinaire, so the thought of booking a cruise less than 2 months in advance stressed me out. And I have no idea how our 3.5-year-old or to-be-14-month-old will react. Am I crazy for considering it? Should I take the plunge? Any insight, or links to trip reports would be very helpful!

Not crazy at all - go and have fun! Cruises take so little planning compared to other vacations. :)

I did an Alaska cruise (nonDisney) with three days notice and I love to plan. Some dates and times of items you want will probably be gone, but since you paid way less, it will make the lack of availability bearable.

I would be less worried about the cruise (that would be awesome) and give more consideration to how your kids will be flying back from PR. (and also if those flights make it cost-prohibitive). But your kids will be just fine on the cruise. :)

Go for it!! We book almost all of our cruises last minute on the *GT discounts and our kids have always done fine (sailing since our oldest was 6 months, now 6 yo). I actually think it is better because little kids have trouble understanding time. If I tell my 3 y.o. we are going on Mickey’s ship, he always thinks it is immediately, so I think it is kind of nice when your countdown starts under 60 days! You will likely be waitlisted for main dining, but I bet that is not a kid-heavy itinerary and you clear the wait list. If not, go to dining changes on the day you board. We have cleared the wait list every time but one.

Thanks all! We booked this morning, and then prices increased by $500. Made it just under the wire!

I would be less worried about the cruise (that would be awesome) and give more consideration to how your kids will be flying back from PR. (and also if those flights make it cost-prohibitive). But your kids will be just fine on the cruise. :)
Thanks for that. I had enough southwest points to cover all flights to NY and one flight home from PR. The other 2 were just $199 each. Not too bad. But the flight leaves at 7, so I'm sure that'll be a cranky day :/

Thanks all! We booked this morning, and then prices increased by $500. Made it just under the wire!

Thanks for that. I had enough southwest points to cover all flights to NY and one flight home from PR. The other 2 were just $199 each. Not too bad. But the flight leaves at 7, so I'm sure that'll be a cranky day :/

Oh wow, that's great. Then I think you should go for it! They will definitely be tired by the last day too. My advice, try to stick to their nap schedule as best as possible. Don't be afraid to leave dinner early if they can't make it (the servers will give you a tray to take your own food back to the room if you need to). If you can't get early dining, eat in Cabanas at your convenience (or at quick service, although you'll get tired of that food.) I LOVED cruising when they were that age, b/c of the convenience of the room being so close (vs. parks). They will love the character interaction. I think it's a great choice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter