Lasagna Soup--Great cold-weather meal

Tiger Fan

<font color=deeppink>Survivor<br><font color=teal>
This reminds me of the taco soup I fix all winter long.

Taco Soup

2 cans red kidney beans
2 cans whole kernal corn
2 cans dice tomatoes
1 package taco seasoning
1 lb ground beef

Simmer for awhile.

For each serving - add corn chips, sour cream and cheese on top.

It's wonderful and very easy.

Lisa

Jill, this sounds yummy. It was rainy yesterday and supposed to rain this wkd so I will try this recipe out. Thanks!
Joan

Well, I e-mailed my mom the recipe just last night -- and she made it for dinner tonight. She really liked it too. Thanks.

My dad however, has me a bit puzzled. He (jokingly - in his sick sense of humor sort of way) said he improved on the recipe. (Just his bowl.) But didn't tell me what he did to it. I'm curious to know what "twisted" ingredient he added. My dad has strange taste buds. My husband is betting he added muscles. Let's just say my dad has been known to put spaghetti sauce on his Eggo waffles. Eeeeewwwww!!!!!!!

Trust my mom & me. The recipe is very good. Don't eat anything my dad makes however. LOL

I made the lasagna soup for dinner tonight. Very yummy. I'm going to pass the recipe onto my mom. She's a heart attack survivor & always looking for low fat recipes.

I substituted "very low sodium" boullion packets for the bouillon cubes; and used a can of diced tomatoes which already had garlic & onion added (only because that is what I had). But I still put in the onions & garlic the recipe called for. I don't normally use salt when cooking & cringed at the potential salt total if I didn't cut back.

Mom can reduce the cheese products or substitute no-fat versions also for herself. I think she will like this recipe since it tasted very much like lasagna --- a big no-no for her now.

Thanks so much for sharing!!!!
:D

I know this sounds weird, but everybody LOVES it--it's one of my most requested recipes. I serve it with hot crusty rolls and salad

Lasagna Soup (from Chicago's famous Pump Room restaurant)

1 to 1 1/2 lb. ground beef (depends on how chunky you want it)
1 medium onion, diced
2 large cloves garlic, minced (or more)
1 28-oz. can tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 16-oz. jar spaghetti sauce
4 chicken boullion cubes
2 beef boullion cubes
6 cups water
1 tsp. each oregano & dried basil
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 bay leaf
1/2 box lasagna noodles, broken in pieces
ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese

1. Crumble and cook ground beef in large dutch oven or pot. Add onion and garlic, cook until beef is done.

2. Add tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, boullion cube, water and seasonings. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes.

3. Add noodles and cook until tender, about 12-15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.

Serve with dollop of ricotta cheese and shredded mozzarella.

So glad you enjoyed it Kara! It's definitely a family favorite. I've given that recipe to dozens of people and everyone always likes it. I always make it on Halloween while the kids are out trick or treating. It keeps well until everyone is ready to eat. It's kind of a tradition now.

this is definitely going into my files. I love to make soups when the weather turns cold. This sounds like something the kids will love.

OH MY GOD, How good is that soup?!?!? I made it this week and my my DH and I LOVED it!!!!!!!!! My DH couldn't stop raving about how wonderful it was! In fact, he took some to work with him for lunch the next day, and one of his co-workers asked for the recipe!

Thanks, Jeafl, for this gem! This recipe has earned a laminated page in my recipe book! It's a keeper!

Kara :wave:

What a nice tradition! I'm sure it helps to warm your children up after a chilly afternoon outdoors! :)

Taco soup?? That sounds good. I must have missed that recipe on these boards. Can someone post a link? Thanks!!

Finally got around to trying this one. My family LOVED it! Thanks for sharing. I might cut down on the salt next time by cutting down on the boullion cubes. It didn't taste too salty, but we were all really thirsty later. Yum, yum. Now, I'll try the taco soup this week.

Just back up in this thread. Tiger Fan posted it in her reply to Lasagna Soup.

I made this tonight for dinner and it was great. DH and DD loved it. I am making a recipe book for BIL (poor starving college student learning to cook GOOD food for himself) and I will definitely include this one.

Thanks!
Candi

I am always looking for good, easy soup recipes. Will definitely try this. E-mailed it to my friend also. Thanks!

I tried this too. It was wonderful. Mine was nice and thick - kind of like a chili. It reheated wonderfully to have the next day as leftovers.

I emailed a copy of the recipe to my mother to try too.

I made this the other night and my darling husband loved it. He ate three bowls of it and then go mad at me the next day, because I ate what was left for lunch. He wanted more. I is a great recipe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter