Large size information

teril

Mouseketeer
We are taking an 8 day vaction to DL next July with my father. He is 68 and a large size (350-400 lbs. 5'3) Can anyone help me find some sites that would have information to check out to make things easier for him. He is in good health except for the size and still walks with out any problems.

I want him to be able to enjoy DL with the grand children and not feel left out when we ride the rides. Will he be able to fit on the rides? Are there special accomadations we need to look into for him?

We will also be traveling to Universal, Seaworld and the San Diego Zoo and I'm concerned about him getting around all those places as well. :confused3

Any information and tips would be greatly appreciated!!! :thumbsup2

Do you ever post on the WISH forum on the DISboards... it is for people "trying to stay healthy" and also trying to lose weight. There are some discussions on there sometimes about fitting onto rides etc. I've never been to Disneyland or SeaWorld so I can't help. I remember at Universal Orlando there were seats you could sit in before you got onto a ride. DH is quite tall 6'5" so I wondered about him at times and although things were often tight, he went on everything. Good luck. We went with my parents to WDW with the grandchildren and they loved it. Did not ride a lot of the rides. My Dad had a MILD heart attack several years ago so he would not ride anything with a warning anywhere near it - to be honest he is not a ride person anyway and is 79 . My parents both loved just being in the park - we went to Magic Kindgom with them - with the children and walking around, sitting waiting for us at times etc. It was a good memory. I actually have one of the best pictures ever of them on a ride at Dr. Seuss land in Islands of Adventure in Orlando. They both look so happy.
Deb

Most of the rides in DL are easy enough for a large person. I know that my friend I went with in May is close to 300 and about 5'4". She didnt have problems on anything. She was a bit stressed about her size, but once we got there she was fine.

Things I've noticed- the seats on Indy are a bit narrow. Stay away from Astro orbitor- its small and not that fun. Have him ride alone on Autopia, the cars are pretty small. Dont have anyone in the bobsled with him on Mtterhorn. Put a smaller person next to him on Space Mt. Skip Orange stinger in DCA. On rides with seat belts, I recomend he get the seat belt in his had BEFORE he sits down. Its hard to reach under you in a small seat and find the seat belt.

You might want to ask at all the places about scooters to rent and just have it as a backup plan. There's no shame in enjoying a day with your family, and it's no fun to have to sit on a bench for hours because you can't keep up (personal experience speaking here). If it looks like they may run out of scooters, go ahead and get one - then HE'LL get to be the designated pack-mule to carry stuff! That truly can be a big help. Otherwise, you have some good replies above, so I'll add San Diego info . . .

As long as walking truly isn't a problem, he'll be fine anywhere. HOWEVER - the Zoo is built in a valley, so some of the hills seem almost vertical! They are really hard on people who are not used to climbing hills (can you say SHIN SPLINTS!!). There used to be a Kangaroo Bus Pass, where you can get on or off the bus at any stop in the place - we used it to ride to the of an area, then we'd walk down, catch another bus to the top of another area, walk down, etc. You may want to check to see if they're still doing that. The skybuckets would probably be out, and he would probably have to sit alone on the bus bench (two seater benches if memory serves), but other than those minor things, size-wise there's no problem there that I can think of.

That being said, you might want to go to the Wild Animal Park instead of the Zoo if you can. It's much flatter. It's the only park like it on the planet (or at least in the US). The tram ride is AWESOME - you travel around hundreds of acres of plains, watching herds of animals mix and mingle as they normally would. It's a 40+ minute tram ride, and the seats are bench seats (it's as if the Disney parking lot tram cars were on the monorail LOL) so there won't be an issue there. But again there is TONS of walking.

Sea World really doesn't have much in the way of rides, and all the shows have bleacher seating, so there's no fit issue there. And it's much smaller than all the other places you're going, so that should be one of the easier days.

Thanks for the great info so far. Keep it coming ! :listen: I will take all those things into mind. :wave2:

I agree with the post about the scooter. A skinny fit healthy tanned vegetarian marathon runner would get tired walking for days and days with grandchildren. :) My dad is about the same size that you mention, and I couldnt imagine him walking that much and that long. Plus, with little kids, sometimes you have to run! Exciting things are always ahead of them. :) Have a great trip!!!!!!
PS:
I dont remember any really worrysome rides to warn you about. Sometimes, with my dad, Ill sneak ahead to ask the person in charge of things so as to not hurt his feelings. You hate to stand in a half hour line and then not be able to do the ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter