Large families @ DW

okiemomx5

Earning My Ears
We are planning our first ever trip to DisneyWorld and the children on their first cruise (Wonder).........we are taking our five children (16,16,13,11,10). Does anyone have any suggestions on taking their big families......trying to keep up with them all, how to see and do all that everyone wants to do.....we have two older teens and two younger pre-teens and the middle child who is afraid of big rides. We are just so overwhelmed at how to go about planning DW......as we will only have 3 days @ DW parks and then head out to our cruise on the Wonder. Would love to hear from other large families who have experience w/ this.
Thanks!

Find out what everyone's 'must do's' are, and make a list. Be sure to do those rides first.

As for keeping track of everyone, my mom came up with a great idea - there'll be 6 kids on our next trip. We were thinking about all wearing bandanas, but a few of the girls didn't want to. So my mom found these things at rite aid, they're sticks about 6 inches long, all different colors, and they flash in sequences, so in big crowds at night if someone gets lost they can turn it on and it'll be easy to spot them.

With only 3 days in the actual world it will be hard to see & do everything. I would also have a "must do" list. Start each day as a family & do things that everyone wants to do together. I would let the older teens go off by themselves for a while. You don't mention when you are going, but if it's during a peak time the parks may be open late into the evening.

As far as staying together, our DD's are 13, 10 & 10 so we are always together & have never had a problem w/ losing any of them. (well, there was one time when my heart skipped a beat because oldest DD didn't follow along when we left an attraction:eek: ) I have seen many families wear same color shirts, also use 2-way radios (although we tried them & always were crossing w/ other people).

On many trips we go w/ extended family & use our cell phones to stay in contact. I don't know if that would be an option for you. If not, always have a meeting place & specific meeting time.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions! I am keeping them!
The closer it gets to our trip the more overwhelmed I get.
There is just so much to see and do and I want to be able to do it all --- and I know I'm not going to be able to let the kids experience it all.
We are going March 16-24.......We arrive really late at the airport and will check in around 11:30 p.m. I think.....I hate this, but the flights were cheaper and we had not much choice in the matter.
So, we will have M-W at the parks. We are staying at the Port Orleans Riverside. Then we go on the cruise Thurs-Sun, then we check into a hotel (at a resort in Kissimmee on some lake) and then we might go back to DW in a rental car that we will have so we can finish up on Sunday what we missed out on earlier in the week, then Monday we fly home.
We do plan on letting the twins go off on their own and we are taking the radios...but having a meeting place is a good idea.
We have a no-long distance cell phone, but just one......mine is only a local cell phone, or that would be ideal. I have a 10 year old son, our youngest, who is forever wandering away, he has no fear whatsoever.......at Silver Dollar City we lose him every year!
Also, our family is forever getting seperated and meeting at the wrong location -- and if we can do that at a small park like Silver Dollar City -- It makes me worry about DW! Oh well, we will just make sure the twins no how to get back to the Port Orleans Riverside.

You should consider getting walkie talkies. This will help a great deal if and when you split up. You can have as many on the same frequency as you want. We have found these a great help. This way we are not always waiting and wondering will so and so ever show up or did they decide to do Space Mountain again.

Have a great trip

Silvert --- I see you are now 9 days away! Are you ready to take those 6 kids on a magical adventure? I would just be a bundle of excitement if we were leaving in 9 days! We are 65 days away and I am just so excited.........but the kids are not that excited.....I don't know why.....but I think it's because they have only been to 6 flags and Silver Dollar City (Branson) and they really don't quite grasp the concept of where they are going!
Even at their age! But, I know one person who is and that is ME! It's been my childhood dream!!!!!!!! My husband won't get excited until he makes the last payment next week! LOL!

Anyway, just wanted to say have fun!

Thanks for your suggestions! I can't wait to hear about it when your return!

Okiemomx5

Okiemomx5 -

Wow! All I can say is you have a very ambitious plan. I would definately recommend getting a good guidebook or two and letting each kid pick out one "Must See/Do" item. My husband and I took our first trip to WDW as part of the cruise package and were overwhelmed by the parks - and we didn't have any kids to corral! Plan not to be able to see everything (we certainly didn't in 4 days), and involve the kids in the planning.

Also, it might be a good idea to give each kid a key to the room you're staying in, since I'm guessing you're staying on property as part of the cruise package. That way if something really drastic occurs the kid can make his/her way back to the room & get in as a last resort. If your clan tends to get mixed up about meeting places, try making up an index card that has 3 meeting points on it: ie. 1:00 meet by partners statue, 3:00 meet by Buzz Lightyear, or 7:00 meet in front of Peter Pan. Do one for each park you plan to visit.

The walkie-talkies are a good idea, but test them before you seperate to find a channel that doesn't have a lot of other people on them, and don't get the ones that have just 17 or 18 channels, you really need to have the sub-channel option. The radios also work really well on the Cruise ship.

Good luck & enjoy your trip.

Sarangel

Thanks so much for all of the ideas you suggested! They are really great ideas, especially the room keys and the cards. I am so glad I found these boards, I have learned a LOT! Thanks!
We will probably let the twins go off on their own in the same park we will be in so that we can move faster with fewer people..and they can do thier own thing.

Okiemomx5

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter