Laptop or move memory cards?

kenny

DIS Veteran
I usually bring my laptop to disney and offload pictures each night and re-use the same memory cards every day

I have 1x16g, 1x8g & 2x4g cards

Was thinking of skipping lugging my laptop down this time and just buying another card or two

Have the nikon d7000 so RAW files are between 15-20mb. In a 10 day trip shoot somewhere between 1500-2000 shots, so even at 20mb per shot would only need around 40g of cards.

Afraid to buy another card or two then wish I had my laptop but tired of lugging it around for no real need

Am an amateur at best. So what do more experienced photographers on this board generally do for their trips?

Thx

I usually bring my laptop to disney and offload pictures each night and re-use the same memory cards every day

Was thinking of skipping lugging my laptop down this time and just buying another card or two

Have the nikon d7000 so RAW files are between 15-20mb. In a 10 day trip shoot somewhere between 1500-2000 shots, so even at 20mb per shot would only need around 40g of cards.

Afraid to buy another card or two then wish I had my laptop but tired of lugging it around for no real need

Am an amateur at best. So what do more experienced photographers on this board generally do for their trips?

Thx

I have a collection of memory cards. Many of them only get used a couple times per year, on vacation. I empty and reformat them all before any trip we take.

I don't travel with a laptop, nor do I want to mess with memory cards when I go back to my room at night.

I have a lot more card than you though since I shoot RAW and I frequently shoot on burst mode.

Memory is cheap. Use all you want. They'll make more. :)

Thx

Honestly, I'd do both, or at least have an external drive, that you can pack separate from the computer. To me a photo doesn't exist unless it's in at least 2 places, preferably 3.

Imagine if something happens to the cards during your travels and you lose a bunch of photos.

My work flow is shoot during the day, offload onto my laptop at night, then copy those onto an external hard drive, that is packed separately from my notebook computer.

So I have the cards, my notebook, and the backup hard drive, all with copies of the photos.

For the price of memory cards I never bring a laptop. I bring 12, 16gb memory cards. I don't fill them are but I have them.

Those those that use memory cards only do u swap every day or fill before swapping.

Have the equivalent of 2 16g cards. Typical disney trip is 10 days. Didn't want to have to buy 8 more cards knowing I'll never fill them but maybe it pays so worst case is I lose only 1 day

Those those that use memory cards only do u swap every day or fill before swapping.

Have the equivalent of 2 16g cards. Typical disney trip is 10 days. Didn't want to have to buy 8 more cards knowing I'll never fill them but maybe it pays so worst case is I lose only 1 day

I use them until they are almost full. If I'm running out of space and a parade is starting, I go ahead and swap. If it's the end of the day and I'm almost out of space, I'll swap. But otherwise I just keep filling.

I wouldn't want to buy 8 more cards either. But I do make a habit of picking up a new card once or twice a year when there's a good sale. Lately I've been replacing my old 8 GB cards with 32 GB cards. I keep the 8's along for spares. I keep all of my cards in a zippered wallet. I have a second zippered wallet I put the full ones into. I actually attach these to my bag with a lanyard (but inside a zippered compartment). That way I can't drop one of the cases getting in or out of my bag.

If your pocket allows, my suggestion is a little more expensive, but I find it to be very useful and versatile...I own a 2TB WD My Passport Wireless, cost ~$200 [they also make a slightly less expensive 1TB ~$150]. No need for a laptop, as the SD card can plug directly into the external hard drive, plus its just that, an external hard drive, so you have tons of room for pics, vids, disney graphs, charts and such! lol. Again, not a cheap alternative, but very compact and useful when traveling

Good luck and thx !

B-

If your pocket allows, my suggestion is a little more expensive, but I find it to be very useful and versatile...I own a 2TB WD My Passport Wireless, cost ~$200 [they also make a slightly less expensive 1TB ~$150]. No need for a laptop, as the SD card can plug directly into the external hard drive, plus its just that, an external hard drive, so you have tons of room for pics, vids, disney graphs, charts and such! lol. Again, not a cheap alternative, but very compact and useful when traveling

Good luck and thx !

B-
Something to look in to long term. Thx

How do you transfer pics though without a screen? Assuming the drive has the port to accept the card

Hi Kenny,

it looks just like a typical WD external hard drive, except its a tiny bit thicker [my assumption is because its 1 and 2 TB, rather than a few hundred GB??]. There is a slot on the side of the drive where you can insert the SD card.

Cheers!

B-

Hi Kenny,

it looks just like a typical WD external hard drive, except its a tiny bit thicker [my assumption is because its 1 and 2 TB, rather than a few hundred GB??]. There is a slot on the side of the drive where you can insert the SD card.

Cheers!

B-
Sorry maybe didn't explain. Once card I sert how do u transfer without a screen to drag and drop or select files. Does it just automatically transfer? And if so how would you know it worked before deleting the card

Just got back from WDW last week. Brought my ipad to surf the internet. Never missed the laptop.

You can get a lot of pictures on a 64gb card.

Kenny,
Those drives can be configured to automatically copy or move the data from a SD card onto the hard drive when inserted. A light blinks during the transfer so when it stops, its done. I'm going to seriously consider one of these for my next trip.

Here's a good review.

We are extremely cautious when we travel with our memory cards. We take a small computer with a dvd burner so we can burn dvds each evening, an external hard drive to download to, as well as extra memory cards in case of a corrupt card. Other family members then go home with copies of dvds from everyone's cameras from the trip so if something happens to their pictures other family members have them. I know...we are little obsessive about it but those memories with kids and grandkids only happen once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter