• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Land and Sea... Which First?

We have heard so many horror stories of people that scheduled a flight out the day before and still missed the cruise because of flight cancellations. Going down to the parks before gives us comfort that there is no way we will miss our cruise.

We have heard so many horror stories of people that scheduled a flight out the day before and still missed the cruise because of flight cancellations. Going down to the parks before gives us comfort that there is no way we will miss our cruise.

Good point. Missing or delaying a day at the parks doesn't compare to missing the ship!

I prefer land first. It is hard to adjust to the chaos that the parks can be after such a relaxing time of personalized service on the ship! (though I still love the parks too!)

Land then sea. I did the opposite in 2016 and regretted it. We are at WDW now and our cruise on the Fantasy is Saturday. I am so glad I did land first. It is hot and I am ready to relax on the cruise.

while it's definitely more relaxing to end on the ship vs land (and that's the way we've done it in the past).... I think nothing is more difficult or sad than leaving a cruise ship so next time, if we were to do it again it would be land after

We tried it both ways and concluded that we prefer to cruise first, then do WDW, so that’s what we did for our last three cruises where we did a park stay after the cruise. However, we will not hesitate to reverse the order when circumstances require. We’re booked on the Fantasy in November and will do 4 nights at BWV prior to the cruise so we can fly home on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, rather than doing the park visit during Thanksgiving week after the cruise.

We tried it both ways and concluded that we prefer to cruise first, then do WDW, so that’s what we did for our last three cruises where we did a park stay after the cruise. However, we will not hesitate to reverse the order when circumstances require. We’re booked on the Fantasy in November and will do 4 nights at BWV prior to the cruise so we can fly home on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, rather than doing the park visit during Thanksgiving week after the cruise.
Why do you prefer cruise first?

Another vote for land first - especially if you have trouble getting your "land legs" back. We spent the day at Disney Springs to kill time before our flight after our last cruise. I felt like I was drunk-walking around the place without actually drinking!

Why do you prefer cruise first?
We’re pretty low key during our resort stays, so the cruise is actually busier than the land portion for us. We can unwind on land after the busier cruise. Also, we really enjoy the dining experiences when we travel. When we cruise first, we can indulge more and then cut back on land when we’re paying out of pocket for everything we eat. We’re actually ready for some lighter meals. When we did land first, we hit a number of our favorite restaurants and didn’t feel we benefited as much from the variety of food options on the cruise that followed. In November, when we do the land portion first, it will be the tail end of the Food & Wine Festival at Epcot, so we’ll primarily sample around the world that trip.

Last edited:
We were debating the same thing, but when the itineraries came out, and we choose the 8 night June 2019 eastern itinerary, the decision was made for us; we couldn't take vacation the week prior to the cruise, so we'll be doing WDW after.

We're in a similar boat (ha) so I'm happy to see accounts of land second working out just fine. It was do WDW post-cruise or not do it at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter