Laminating Passport copies / DL copies?

DLPDreams

I am like a child in a sweet shop, hyper on sugar!
I know this has been asked before, but the answer seems to vary so much so I wondered if anyone had a definite answer please :thumbsup2.

I really don't fancy carrying round my passport or DL all the time (I know for driving you have to) but I'm thinking for DC, bars/restaurants/shops etc. I am terrible for losing things :rotfl:!

I have read of people taking copies of their passports/dl which they have then reduced in side and laminated and been able to slip into their wallets or pockets. Some people say it works - do you think it depends on the CM or shop worker etc? I would have thought they'd like to see the real deal?

I really don't know what to do for the best. Presumably we'll only need our children's passports for DC. We won't need them for anything at WDW or US will we?

If you have a photocard DL just take that - it's accepted most places (for a while Disney would accept actual passports for non US DL).

Most places won't accept a copy on its own for proper ID such as for buying alcohol. A copy of passport with a DL has been known to be accepted.

The issue is it needs to be a "government issued ID" which a copy isn't and could be forged,

I had a problem last year with them not accepting my DL and they would only accept my passport which I did not have. Not a big deal but something to be aware of.

I know this has been asked before, but the answer seems to vary so much so I wondered if anyone had a definite answer please :thumbsup2. I really don't fancy carrying round my passport or DL all the time (I know for driving you have to) but I'm thinking for DC, bars/restaurants/shops etc. I am terrible for losing things :rotfl:! I have read of people taking copies of their passports/dl which they have then reduced in side and laminated and been able to slip into their wallets or pockets. Some people say it works - do you think it depends on the CM or shop worker etc? I would have thought they'd like to see the real deal? I really don't know what to do for the best. Presumably we'll only need our children's passports for DC. We won't need them for anything at WDW or US will we?

Double check but when we went to DC in May my children did not need photo ID, only the adults and they accepted our photo card DLs.

We usually just carry our DL around when in orlando and only had an issue the one year when Disney began to not accept them. On that trip they accepted a copy of the back page of my passport when shown together with my DL. However last year they accepted just my DL. That was for purchasing alcoholic drinks. I didn't need it for anything else.

If you have a photocard DL just take that - it's accepted most places (for a while Disney would accept actual passports for non US DL).

Most places won't accept a copy on its own for proper ID such as for buying alcohol. A copy of passport with a DL has been known to be accepted.

The issue is it needs to be a "government issued ID" which a copy isn't and could be forged,

And that was why I asked Tracy - as like you said, because of the forgery issue it's not 'proper' ID. But then reading Starry's point below....

I had a problem last year with them not accepting my DL and they would only accept my passport which I did not have. Not a big deal but something to be aware of.

So then, does it really need to be passport? Starry - I wonder if they would have accepted a copy of your passport as well as the DL do you think?

I just hate the thought of carrying around our passports - 4 passports on me is really more than I want to be responsible for :rolleyes2. Will they let us travel home on a copy if I lose them do you think?...... joking btw! :joker:

As Tracy said, for a little while (for purchasing alcohol) WDW were not accepting anything other than a passport as proof of age, however I think they realised that this wasn't practical and, therefore, they have reverted to accepting photo DL as proof of age/identification. We had no problem using our DL as proof of ID last October/November.

And, as others have said, you are unlikely to need any ID for children at all.

Double check but when we went to DC in May my children did not need photo ID, only the adults and they accepted our photo card DLs.

We usually just carry our DL around when in orlando and only had an issue the one year when Disney began to not accept them. On that trip they accepted a copy of the back page of my passport when shown together with my DL. However last year they accepted just my DL. That was for purchasing alcoholic drinks. I didn't need it for anything else.

Re DC - we have just received our tickets and it as it's personalised, it does state ID is needed for each person. But perhaps they aren't so strict for children? Tbh, DC isn't so much of an issue (so was probably a bad example on my part) as I know I can put in the locker for the day - it's more carrying them around I am worried about.

As Tracy said, for a little while (for purchasing alcohol) WDW were not accepting anything other than a passport as proof of age, however I think they realised that this wasn't practical and, therefore, they have reverted to accepting photo DL as proof of age/identification. We had no problem using our DL as proof of ID last October/November.

And, as others have said, you are unlikely to need any ID for children at all.

I think I might try DL and a copy of passport then and just hope for the best! If not, we'll go home sober that night and know to change it the next night ;). To be honest, I probably won't drink much alcohol but I am partial to the odd cocktail at dinner while on holiday :beach:. And I think I really need to try one of those alcoholic slushies too :faint:.

We have been with children to Discovery Cove twice and on both occasions they asked for my children's passports.

Should I be offended that I've never been asked for ID when purchasing alcohol :rotfl2:

I'm sure a holiday is supposed to relieve stress :rotfl:

I'm sure it will once you're there :beach:There's nothing like hurtling downwards on ToT to forget about life's worries :scared1:

Starry - I wonder if they would have accepted a copy of your passport as well as the DL do you think? I just hate the thought of carrying around our passports - 4 passports on me is really more than I want to be responsible for :rolleyes2. Will they let us travel home on a copy if I lose them do you think?...... joking btw! :joker:

I'm honestly not sure as it wasn't a big deal. Only one place in the Italy pavilion would not serve me anywhere else they never even asked.
I would take a copy as others have said that has been accepted. I like you would be worried about leaving it somewhere. On a side note when we were in Boston they asked for photo ID at some of the sites and they accepted my DL and that was to enter a US Navy site. So not sure why Disney had such an issue with them.

Thanks all. I am going to make a copy of my passport (I have one anyway) and take that with DL as I said earlier. Obviously for the likes of DC I will take proper passports but happy to put them in the locker! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter