Laid Off - Need Hugs

CynBeth

DIS Veteran
We found out earlier in the week that they are outsourcing most of the departments in my medical billing company and have a few months before we will no longer have a job. I am feeling so many emotions. My immediate co-workers and I have been there for almost 17 years and were together when we working in the doctor’s office itself before we were outsourced so have been doing this over 20 years. A few of the older ones have said they are just going to retire but some of us are going to need to look for a new job and I am scared. I am almost 50 and this is pretty much all I have known. My husband has health issues so has not worked in 10 years but is not sick enough to be able to get disability so have been living on one income. I don’t know what type of work I want to do. I have no clue if there are any other medical billing companies out there and even if there are most doctor offices have a program they use and you have to know it so that might not pan out. I am having a friend help me put together a resume and will go from there.

It is so hard for all of us to work very difficult to concentrate thankfully we have been remote since the pandemic began and do not have to be in person all upset. My managers were as blindsided by this as we were so far they still have a job but are so pissed off like we are about what went down. A few months ago we were told a company expressed interest in purchasing us and they lied to us for the first time saying how it is a good thing nothing will change. We had communication last week that it went through. At our monthly company meeting which they held on Friday they mentioned about getting rid of 20% of the workforce but gave no info as to how people were being selected just said they are still figuring things out which was also a lie as they knew most of us were going to be gone. They said anyone impacted will get an individual e-mail this week beginning Monday which also ended up not being true which I will get to in a moment. When it was time for questions it was asked how can we not worry over the weekend and the response which was again a lie is that most of you will be fine don’t worry and reminded us that as a benefit they offer mental health services. On Tuesday a bunch of us got a meeting invite which had 160 something people on it everyone in my department plus people we knew from when we worked in our building that also were there a long time also so some of us thought it might be a good thing as they said individual e-mails were being sent to those losing their job and said everyone would know their status or one way or another that maybe we are the ones being kept. They basically started out by congratulating us that our hard work and effort, etc is what made us into a world class organization, etc and then told us their vendor partners are taking over our jobs and we have until the end of February. Other groups they are notifying do not have as long. The whole meeting they kept saying how valuable we are, wonderful employees, etc and a whole bunch of other but then you are letting us go for the awful outside. We have a group from India now who can’t do anything right from customer drive to payment posting to billing and we have to fix their mess ups all of the time. It will be a nightmare. They told us they are not sending any type of notification to the doctor offices we do billing for they Will be getting an unpleasant surprise. I do not know if any managers will give a heads up. Oh and it looks like we will eventually be required to train those taking our jobs.

Thank you so much for allowing me to vent.

Last edited:
I haven't the foggiest idea what you do, but yeah, scary time. My DH went through this 20 years ago . He was 55 and I was a stay at home mom.

I have no advise but lots of hugs, and best wishes.

So sorry that’s tough to go through. Just get through the next few days.

Remember that you will get through it. You’ve handled everything tough thing in life to this point and you will handle this too.

These events were decided for you long ago, your next chapter is coming soon. You’ll be ok.

I feel your pain. I was laid off in Dec of 2020 (Merry Christmas!). I work in IT, so finding another job was not too hard, though finding the right job can be. I went back to work in Feb of 2021 and I am still with the same company, though have had several job changes. I have been in my current position for about 2 years now and have no plans to move anywhere. The company or the Fed could change that though (Federal Contractor). BTW, I am 64, so a youngster like you should have no problem finding new employment.

:hug: So many hugs for you :hug:
My DH has been laid off more than once so I understand how scary & stressful of a time this is.
May God bless you with a path that is right for you so you can find a job that you are happy with. I’ll definitely keep you in my prayers :hug:

Sorry to hear of your circumstances, and sending you thoughts and prayers for the future.

In the interim, some thoughts on what you might do next (not knowing your full situation):
- Feelings of betrayal and anger are natural, take the time to address the emotional process, but start looking beyond to the positive (I.e you have until February) - this not always an option to people laid-off.
- Often addressing the transition is met with resistance and anger, don’t sabotage yourself and make sure you understand all the terms of your separation (unemployment, severance and benefits) - people often are too angry and leave money and options on the table.
- For your remaining time, be a team player on the outside (regardless of feelings on the inside), management sometimes will take note of those people and maybe even watch out for you (I.e extend your time or in finding something else).
- To that end - Being cynical at work and resistant only continues to hurt you and no one else - least of all the company.
- The faster you get yourself out there (research, resume, and job boards), the sooner opportunities arise - budgets often reset at the beginning of the calendar year
- Age can and is often looked at as an obstacle - it also means you have a lot of experience in your field with a steady work history. This is important to employers too.
- In looking at your skill-set, medical billing may be translatable to other types of billing, be sure to broaden your search to adjacent fields and industries. Even if it doesn’t seem to be a perfect match - apply and even interview to gain practice - imperfect fits may still translate to a job.
- Not only work on your resume, but hone your interview skills. Resumes open doors, good interviews get jobs.
- Remaining positive throughout the process will help you individually and inspire those around you (including prospective employers when you interview).

You will find a job, and you will be a stronger person as a result of this.

Sorry to hear about this. It's understandable that you're stressed and anxious and I hope you find ways to ease that. Try to look at this as life nudging you onto the path you should be on, I know that's easy to say and oh so hard to do.

It's time to give yourself the kind of pep talk you'd give a friend standing in your shoes. No doubt you'd tell your friend to take a step back and realize she's very capable and talented and will be able to land in a new spot with a good job with new challenges that she's more than ready to take on. You would have no problem recognizing your friend's talents and abilities, and would be kind of surprised she couldn't see them herself. Well, be that friend to yourself, give that support to yourself -- it's just as valid. You are capable and talented and employers will see that.

Best of luck to you in finding a job that satisfies your needs and fulfills you in ways you don't even know you want or need at the moment. Can't wait to hear your update when you're all settled in.

I’m sorry to hear you have been laid off. Medical billing is a great skill and I don’t think you will have a problem finding another job in the field. Most of the software works similar even if it’s a different system than you are used to but since you have been working remotely you obviously have computer skills and should be able to handle the transition to a different coding and billing program if necessary. I’d start the search by googling third party insurance billing companies and submit my resume to them. Dental procedure coding is big too so maybe look into that, especially oral surgery because they cross over into medical billing too.

So sorry to hear of your situation. From an HR standpoint, should you need to seek employment, there is something to know. Whenever possible, apply for work directly to the company and not through the external websites that the company sets up to receive the resumes. There are computers that screen them, according to particular words listed in the job postings. A lot of people are discouraged because they do not hear back from the company, when in reality, the resume never makes it to their HR department. You will find a job, and you will penetrate the system, just try doing it the old-fashioned way. Submit your resume to an email address, through old-fashioned snail mail, or drop it off to a receptionist. Look in LinkedIn to see who the HR person is, just be creative and you will shine. Also, have two or three people look at your resume. It is more important to show accomplishments at your prior company then actual duties. You want to pique their interest but not give them everything. If you seek similar work, they will know your duties. Highlight computer programs, money that you saved your company, things like that. Finally, keep your resume to a single page and always include a cover letter which is as important as the resume. The cover letter should list why you want the job, why they should meet you, and make sure it is grammatically correct. If a person has a bad cover letter, or none, sometimes HR doesn't even look at the resume. One day at a time, I know that's easier said than done, but if you are laid off these organization tools will help you find new work quickly. I wish you the best of luck!

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your circumstances, and sending you thoughts and prayers for the future.

In the interim, some thoughts on what you might do next (not knowing your full situation):
- Feelings of betrayal and anger are natural, take the time to address the emotional process, but start looking beyond to the positive (I.e you have until February) - this not always an option to people laid-off.
- Often addressing the transition is met with resistance and anger, don’t sabotage yourself and make sure you understand all the terms of your separation (unemployment, severance and benefits) - people often are too angry and leave money and options on the table.
- For your remaining time, be a team player on the outside (regardless of feelings on the inside), management sometimes will take note of those people and maybe even watch out for you (I.e extend your time or in finding something else).
- To that end - Being cynical at work and resistant only continues to hurt you and no one else - least of all the company.
- The faster you get yourself out there (research, resume, and job boards), the sooner opportunities arise - budgets often reset at the beginning of the calendar year
- Age can and is often looked at as an obstacle - it also means you have a lot of experience in your field with a steady work history. This is important to employers too.
- In looking at your skill-set, medical billing may be translatable to other types of billing, be sure to broaden your search to adjacent fields and industries. Even if it doesn’t seem to be a perfect match - apply and even interview to gain practice - imperfect fits may still translate to a job.
- Not only work on your resume, but hone your interview skills. Resumes open doors, good interviews get jobs.
- Remaining positive throughout the process will help you individually and inspire those around you (including prospective employers when you interview).

You will find a job, and you will be a stronger person as a result of this.
All I have to add is hugs, and that John7994 had many excellent suggestions!! Reread his tips every few days ;)

:hug:
be strong, you will find another job. A lot of very good advice already given, and I have one more, take your time to read through your severance package. (an ex-colleague was distraught and checked the wrong box and took her severance in lump sum, which also stopped her health insurance. That was a BIG mistake) Take advantage of any career/job hunting service offered.
You will find another job, I was laid off at 52 and was distraught and worried, but my current job turns out to be so much better.

I've had a couple friends go through this and one of our team members too. From what they've shared with us its very important to read the offers they've extended to you, at the same time start applying for jobs NOW. Understand any NDA and confidentiality agreements they give you.

In case of one friend and our team member both flat our refused to train an outsourced non-US based team. Our friend landed a job within 2 weeks using the skills she already had for a hospital, helping to manage the outsourced contract which the hospital eventually brought back in house. Our team member left that industry completely. Both said as soon as they got wind they had updated their resume and started applying even before the official notice came out.

It sounds like you have a good worth ethic, I'd say you'll find something great soon. Far to many don't have that nor a desire to actually show up and work.

Best of luck and stay strong.

Hugs. I know you're going to hurt -- loss of a job really does make one go through the stages of grief.

Start thinking about your current skills that you can apply to another position (transferrable skills). Customer service, accounts receivable/payable, data entry, etc.

Start reviewing current application/resume/cover letter tips. It's changed in the last 15+ years. If you're not on LinkedIn, get an account and start following friends/former colleagues, schools, etc.

Brush up on interview questions and the interview process. There are a lot of videos/training/etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter